Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 02/20/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Oh yeah and juan...........at the end of my post it says............. JMO = Just my opinion

And obviously its not yellow in EVERYONES tanks like you say because chris himself says that it looses yellow.....
Old 02/20/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

OK....... I'm lost now ...... Let's get back on topic. Does anyone know where this coral came from originally? Is there any literature on a yellow xenia? Has anyone tried enlisting ant of our RC biologists for advice? It's been aninteresting thread so far and I look forward to following it.

Ed C
Old 02/21/2007, 10:37 AM
SPS nut

I originally got my frag from a LFS in Melbourne, FL. It came in a trans shipment, but I am not sure where it came from. I have not spoken to an RC biologists. Who do you suggest?
Old 02/21/2007, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking this guy.....

RANDY HOLMES
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/me...fo&userid=3491

Maybe he could answer some questions as to why the colors change under different parameters for all corals and specifically what causes the specific colors. ie if my coral goes from green to yellow is my symbiotic algae dying and a new color of algae growing in it's place or does algae change color as we do with tanning? Just curious.

Ed C
Old 02/25/2007, 02:55 PM
Coral Farmer

I have this as well here are some pics. I have talked to a few people and most think it is xenia of some type.

Old 02/25/2007, 02:57 PM
Coral Farmer

Old 02/25/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Phillip,

Obviously yours in in the green house, its hard to tell from the pictures, but does your exhibbit the same coloration?
Does it pulse as well?

BTW: I want a peice.
Old 02/25/2007, 04:40 PM
Coral Farmer

Yes it has the yellow/green color. And yes it pulses. I am going to wait a few more months before I start selling it. Once I get 250 to 350 heads.

Philip
Old 02/25/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Cool! I want some rics too... just keep me in mind.

BTW, you should come check out the new SPS system I setup in the back.... Weve got a few Rainbow Montipora frags, some HOT RED Digitata, some Hot Pink seritoporas & Stylo's, oH that Maricultured colony that we got from ya has turned purple/pink on the tips with teal polyps... so exciting!...
We have got some other pretty nice colored acros too, I moved all the other SPS from the Bottom 100 in the front back there to color them up, Someone came and fooled around with the skimmer cup, dumped it in the sump and all the sps browned up, not to mention, about 50 snails got put in there as well, ... they didnt make it, yuck, .. I had to redo that tank.. Its going to be just for LPS and Clams now...

We've got some of those LUMENMAX reflectors in from SS, and MAN ARE THEY NICE!... if your in the neighborhood, check it out..
We ended up running 2 400watt XM20K's on Mag59 ballasts...

OH, got some Blue Montipora Foliosa's too that KICK "bum"
A nice powdered sky blue color... really nice maricultured peices!

oh my... Im hijacking the thread, sorry.

Anyway, back to this Xeniid Entity...
I think its possible its a species of the Genus Cespitularia.. I mean look at C. Sansiba, its encrusting, doesnt pulse though.. so far as Im aware..

Most "xenia" species grow on stalks, this one doesnt, which leads me to believe its something else...

I think we can rule out Anthellia... ?
Heteroxenia is out too..
Efflatournia is.... out...

Cespitularia species makes sence.
Old 03/09/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

ok here are the pics from the stuff that i got from Chris.....realize the first picture is the first day that i got it from shipping.........meaning it looks like death........the second is now.................

Old 03/09/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Hum... Definitly not Yellow...

Is it just me or do the pinnules look like Heteroxenia...

hum...
Old 03/09/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

yeah i dont know...........they dont look like xenia.(the pinuals or whatever)......and in my first statement thats why i said that its not xenia------
Old 03/24/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

chris,
do you have anymore frags available?
jess
Old 03/24/2007, 09:37 AM
SPS nut

I might have 1-2 for the meeting...I'll check later today.
Old 03/24/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

I know im commin in realy late, but the last pics make me think it is anthilia. I have some blue anthilia in my tank that looks just like they closed up head at night. The xenia closed up into a ball, and the anthilia closes up into a point. The stalks look very simular too. My anthilia will also pull in one "finger" at a time. This is a really cool thread!!!!! Lets just call it a xenia anthilia hybrid that encrusts, lol. Be carefull with this stuff, if it grows like xenia, the encrusting will make it really hard to get rid of!!

Michael

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 04/16/2007, 09:57 PM
Coral Farmer

Xenia Distorta ? This is my new guess