Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Coral Identification

I got a little almost dead frag of this guy about 3 months ago and I walked 2 miles home in nearly freezing cold weather only for it to come back from the afterlife and flourish in my tank. Thing is, I have no clue what it is. Any ideas.

(With Flash)

(With Actinics)

The first photo represents the colour best.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

It is definately a polyp
Old 12/19/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

It is definately a polyp (Anthelia sp - Waving Hand w/ large brown polyps)

Care Level: Difficult
Light: Moderate to High
Water Flow: Medium to Strong
Placement: Bottom
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Color Form: Blue
Temperament: Peaceful
Ideal Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Xeniidae

The Anthelia Waving Hand Coral is also referred to as a Glove Coral. It is a groups of colonial animals with several individual polyps attached to a piece of solid substrate. They are blue, brown, or tan, in color, and their polyps have the distinctive eight-leaved tentacles associated with all of the members of this family.
Predatory fish, crabs, snails, or the stings of other corals may damage the colony quite easily. Therefore, provide adequate space between them and sessile animals, especially other types of soft corals. They are difficult to maintain in an aquarium. They require a medium to high light level combined with a medium to strong water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

Under ideal conditions, and once acclimated, they may reproduce in the established reef aquarium, forming a creeping mat, which will quickly grow over any adjacent rock work.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within their bodies provide the majority of their nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. Additional weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates are also needed.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I had no clue they were that hard to care for. Under 250W MH and PC actinics about 12" below the lights, it seems to have done very well and formed a mat. Are you sure they need supplemental feeding. Thats for the ID.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I was under the impression that none of the Xeniidae had developed digestive systems, and are, rather, direct absorbers of dissolved organics.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

i have some in my tank as well and their doing great, spreading like crazy they like good water flow. I dont feed them anything they just filter from the water like the rest of my corals so it would seem and their doing fantastically
Old 12/19/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Care level difficult??? Not sure I know if a difficult to keep zooxanthellate softie... Mine have been growing on the back of a rock untouched and unseen. The only special care I provide is not letting the tank empty itself to the floor.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

yea i agree with gflat65 they seem super easy to keep..
Old 12/19/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

That's about all I've done as well. If they do need supplemental feeding, I'm sure they get enough in my tank from other corals' leftovers.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Just to clarify, I got that data from the DFS website.