Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Dead bangaii babies

Ok so I woke up this morning to find the male had spit out three of the babies and they were all on the floor of the breeder box. One dead and two struggling with life. What is the possible cause of this and should I expect the rest to come out the same way? The only thing I can think of is initial health of the father. As soon as I saw he was holding I was immediately regretting not feeding him more but I had only had the pair for less then a month and wasn't expecting them to breed so fast. I also caught the male yesterday and put him in the breeder box with a fake plastic plant for fry protection. Was that a mistake could the stress of being caught have anything to do with this? Or did the fry starve I assume they were released early last night and were without food til this morning when it was too late. Should I attempt to feed the others that come out tonight immediately? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

How long has the male been carrying for?
I believe that by netting him, if he was stressed, he would of spat the babies then.
Health could be an issue, but I am not sure if they can spit out babies that are not doing too well.
Do you have any freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, on hand to feed the others with?
Good luck
Old 11/19/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Yeah i hatched out the artemia 2 days ago and enriched with kent marines zoecon. He carried the babies full 26 days. I'm puzzled I thought if he wasnt healthy enough he would spit or swallow them prematurely. Tonight only one more baby and it was a dead one. Crap. Well better luck next batch I guess.