Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

2"x2" square tube steel strong enough for 120 stand?

Would 2x2 inch steel square tubing be enough strength to span the 4 foot span for a 120 gallon tank? I would like to build a tank stand out of steel.

Thank you.
Old 10/18/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

This is what I had in mind. What do you think? Would it work?

Old 10/18/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I think it would be fine with the weight.

Do you plan on putting a piece of plywood between the stand and the tank?
GO LSU! #1
Old 10/18/2007, 10:10 PM
Moved On

this is a joke right?
Old 10/18/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Not sure why you think its a joke, a lot of people use steel to make stands. They are stronger and often give you more room to work with under the tank. As far as whether or not its strong enough I'm not sure. I would add some corner pieces from the legs to the front and back lengths. That would decrease the length of unsupported distance plus add some lateral support. Maybe you could call your local steel company and run it by them. BTW my 120 is actually 48 1/2 X 24 1/2 so you might want to double check your measurements (if yours is an AGA). Good luck.
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/18/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

What wall tubing are you thinking? I would not go more than 3/16 wall. 1/8 would be fine. I would also consider adding a cross brace that bisects the 48". Top only. It looks like you plan on angle for the bottom ring. Nice idea! Is the plan to made a waterproof ring around the base?

The plywood or a plastic top would be nice. When I set up my 180, I put a 1/2 foam sheet under it. This would help with any out of square issues you might have with the floor or stand.
Old 10/18/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by latazyo
this is a joke right?
Steel, not wood.
Old 10/18/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Why not thicker than 3/16? Simply because that's all that's necessary, or some other reason?
Old 10/18/2007, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

The drawing is with 1/8th steel. I hadn't thought of the corner pieces, but you may be right about that. I will put a bottom fill in as well, and make it waterproof. I'd like to linex the whole darn thing. And then I have a surprise for you all! .
Old 10/18/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

So perhaps this.

Just looking at this it makes a ton of sense, and would make it a lot stronger. Thanks for the tip! I love reef central!
Old 10/19/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Re: 2"x2" square tube steel strong enough for 120 stand?

Quote:
Originally posted by dogstar74
Would 2x2 inch steel square tubing be enough strength to span the 4 foot span for a 120 gallon tank? I would like to build a tank stand out of steel.
Way, way, way more then enough. I'd probably drop that to 1-1/4" .125 wall HSS to lighten the stand and save money.
Old 10/19/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

If it were me i would prefer middle braces as well. Remember, water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. If you center brace wont interfere with your plans, you should error on the side of caution and install it. Hope this helps. GL with the new build. Show us some pics.

Paul

I Golf, I Party, I Work, in that order!
Old 10/19/2007, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
So perhaps this.

Just looking at this it makes a ton of sense, and would make it a lot stronger. Thanks for the tip! I love reef central!
I would not be afraid to put two 120's on that stand !!!

bg
Old 10/19/2007, 06:03 AM
Moved On

i asked if it was a joke because it couldnt possibly be too weak for a 120
Old 10/19/2007, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1156852

Check out Treg's stand (and the tank for that matter). I'd think you'd have quite a bit of overkill factor with 2"...

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
Old 10/19/2007, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pcurry18
If it were me i would prefer middle braces as well. Remember, water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. If you center brace wont interfere with your plans, you should error on the side of caution and install it.
Paul

Any middle bracing on that design, assuming the corner joints are properly welded, will be a total waste of steel and money. They would receive 0% of the weight of the tank, add weight to the frame, add more welds, more $$, and more time to build, all while adding zero strength to the stand in the vertical direction.

It would take an enormous amount of force (aquarium/relatively speaking) to bend 2x2 HSS over a 3'-8" span. As someone already mentioned, I wouldn't be afraid to put several 120g tanks on that stand.

Not to sound cocky, and I'm no structural engineer, but I do have a building science degree and took several structures classes in school. After running the numbers and seeing first-hand how strong wood and steel can be when used properly, it's amazing how many people grossly overbuild their aquarium stands. 1000lbs sounds like a lot of weight, but only because we're human, and to us, 80lbs is a lot of weight. Wood can carry those loads all day long....and steel, come on guys. It's steel for crying out loud! A little goes a very, very long way for our purposes.
Old 10/19/2007, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So perhaps this.

Thats exactly what I meant, looks great. I think that would be all you would need as far as strength. One last suggestion; depending on if and how you are going to sheath the stand (like with wood panels or something) you might want to add some tabs on each of the sides. This would give you something to attach your panels to.
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/19/2007, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
So perhaps this.

That looks very strong if that's the completed stand except to keep it from wracking forward or backward. Maybe som ebraces on the ends as well.
Depending on how you intend to sheat the stand, if you do, that material could take the place of welded in braces and serve the same purpose...
If I remember right Treg had his powder coated to help prevent rusting.

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Nice, sounds like I have a winner! Thanks everyone for the input!
As far as front to back, it shouldn't be a problem, like you said, I'll be paneling it very securely. And after all, it's only got to stand up to a 6, 3, and 20mo year olds!
Old 10/19/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Definatly dont need those angle peices or a center brace... you could even use 2" Angle.

Again all assuming this is properly welded.

Ive seen a stand that has had half that support for a 120 made out of angle
Old 10/19/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

What would be the problem with overbuilding this? Is it just a weight consideration?
Old 10/19/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

doesnt steel + salt - RUST
Old 10/19/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I believe he mentioned before that he was going to get the stand covered with linex. That should keep it from rusting (I would guess a good powder coating would also keep it from rusting).
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/19/2007, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Probably a combination of the two.
Old 10/20/2007, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

This is a 210g steel stand. It is made with 1 1/2x1/8 inch. It has been up for about 7 months with no problems.
This pic the tank is full of water during a leak test.