Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2007, 11:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Does anyone know what WasserablaB stands for?
Wasserablass = waterdrain

Ed, if you could post the whole sentence i will translate it for you ,
Old 02/18/2007, 11:57 PM

Heinz!!!! You're alive!! Glad to see you out in public again. Actually it wasnt a sentence.. just that one word. I have the reactor running now. Was pretty easy after Chad's help.

Farish, long time no see!! How are you doing?

tentacles, I cant wait to see your new setup. Did you figure out the hole placements yet? Make sure you setup your aquascape first, then your hole placement. I'll post a pic of how I did mine.

Leonardo, thanks for the tip. The water did fill from siphoning. I plan to order a brass check valve like I had in my previous Korallin. It worked flawlessly.

Herman, thanks for the translation. Thats exactly what it means.

Oldtimer, looks like we got it. Thanks anyways.

Chad, no worries on the media. naka provided me with more than enough. I only like to fill half of the reactor so it will improve circulation. I have some left over. I got your PM on the pump setup. Thanks for that. Definitely a good idea.

Mike, on the Cole Parmer, can you adjust the rate? Do you have a pic of it?

Tanya, thanks a lot. Naka has fixed me up.
Old 02/19/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Ed,
yes, its east to adjust flow rate. I will take somepics for u tonite and email u..

mike
Old 02/19/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT THE CALCIUM REACTOR?
Old 02/19/2007, 12:07 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Invince - look for Ewan's thread on the JS1, its the bible for JS owners. Although I'm not sure the 1 & 2 run the same. There was a Cole Parmer in the Classifieds cheap a few days ago, brand new. Its a great way to run the JS1. You can also find them on ebay from time to time. Its one of the only peri pumps that draw enough ml/min to power the JS1.

My only problem with Schuran is good like finding parts. When I sold mine some plumbing broke and it was almost impossible for 3 major vendors to get a hold of anyone to replace it.

edit - here you go Ewan's JS Thread

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 02/19/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Fill the bubble counter with regular water using a syringe or turkey baster. The water inside the reactor should be measured with a ph probe and set according to the manual. There's an additional fitting to house the ph probe that must be purchased. Once that is done, the reactor works awesome. The ph meter/controller controls when the CO2 is released for optimum performance of the reactor. Hope this helps. I've had mine for a while and like it a lot.
Old 02/19/2007, 03:12 PM
unorthodox reefer

We need more pictures!
Old 02/19/2007, 03:33 PM

I had a couple people ask about my flow, CL holes and design. I figure it would be easier to just post my initial plans. Here are the diagrams. As you can see the first one is where I placed the holes. The holes were placed from the design of the aquascape. Right now I have 3 out of the 4 output holes shooting straight up. I really like this. The reasoning for this is because of the area they are in.. which is the softy/LPS area. I also have 2 returns coming back in which is plenty of extra flow for what I am after.

Old 02/19/2007, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

You've outdone yourself! That looks amazing!
Old 02/19/2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoos
We need more pictures!
zoos, nothing special going on except just adding a cleanup crew. here's some of the specimens i've been adding

Trochus - referred by naka

Hispanic Turbo

Red Brittle star and Conch from previous tank

Coral Banded Shrimp from previous tank

Lawnmower Blenny - this guys did wonders in my previous tank
Old 02/19/2007, 06:30 PM

Mike, look forward to the pics

David, I have that thread bookmarked because I knew I would go back to it later. Good thing is that I didnt have to thanks to Chads help. The setup was a breeze. As for the parts, I was extra careful with this unit. I know how delicate they can be. Thats the difference between american made and international products.

Adversource, yes.. it was very easy. Thanks for the tip on the turkey baster. I will have to use that. I was looking at the probe holder and it seems like there is no need to purchase extra fittings. Looks like it will slide in on the JS2. I saw this when I first got it in.

Sptfire, thank you very much! means a lot!
Old 02/19/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Ed,
here is the pump i use for 2 years .I pull water throw the reactor and this way i can adjust the flow ,alk .

Old 02/20/2007, 05:41 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

That looks like a serpent star to me and it is looking for a meal, IMHO.

When the serpent I USED to have went looking for a meal, it usually found one.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 02/20/2007, 06:41 AM

Sorry you're right.. it is a serpent. Thats when I first put him in and he was looking for a place to hide.
Old 02/20/2007, 07:49 PM
zoa ninja

invincible, how long have you had the serpent? I have the exact same species, color wise, and wanted to have an idea of its lifespan. I had mine for about a year now, but when I purchased it, it was a juvenile sized.
Old 02/20/2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kigs
invincible, how long have you had the serpent? I have the exact same species, color wise, and wanted to have an idea of its lifespan. I had mine for about a year now, but when I purchased it, it was a juvenile sized.

its been about 3 yrs now. The only thing I dont like about him is that when he hides, he hides! I rarely see him come out during the day.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:14 PM

I finally got around to testing my water...

SG - 1.026
Ca - 480 (Goal - 500)
Mg - 1470 (Goal - 1600)
Alk - 7 (Goal - 9 to 11)
NH4 - 0
Nitrite - 0

I filled my C02 bottle yesterday and am ready for Ca Rxtr activation.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Hey Edward,

I have been super busy lately, but it's looking good . I cannot wait to see a FTS when you get your lights.

Keep the pics coming. Any idea when you are going to add corals and fish?

Nick
Old 02/20/2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbd13
Hey Edward,

I have been super busy lately, but it's looking good . I cannot wait to see a FTS when you get your lights.

Keep the pics coming. Any idea when you are going to add corals and fish?

Nick
I cant wait either!

Yes, i plan to add fish very soon.. but only more hardy ones at first. A tang for algae control and then some other fish I will show later. As for corals.. softies & LPS first.. then SPS. The SPS will be added when the Ca rxtr has stabilized the water parameters. Are your Joculators looking for a new home??
Old 02/20/2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
Here's a shot of a trimless SPS system in Japan. All the tanks I saw over there were trimless. See the overflow system on the left hand side of the tank? A little different than what we use here, but standard for Japanese tanks.
But as far as the tanks in Texas, I was thinking the same thing. Some of the coolest tanks I have seen are in Texas!

Jim
Jim, thanks for the info. I have studied the Japanese spotlighting for a while now. In the past years people did not understand the deep colors the Japanese acquired. As you may have seen, it has to do with the angle of the light and where the light penetrates the skin of the coral. This is what I am after. The tank below with the 20 degree angle is one of my favorite Japanese tanks. The pic below is from the Japanese AM magazine.

The cylinder shape overflow is not a good idea IMO. Its is very hard to clean. Less space, but more work.

Old 02/20/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The pic below is from the Japanese AM magazine.
Japanese AM magazine ?? Can you give us more info on this magazine ?? Do you have a subscription to it ?? How did you go about getting it...
Old 02/20/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Haha, no my joculator is not going anywhere .

What fish are you thinking of adding? Any angels ?

Nick
Old 02/20/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Edward,

Any particular reason you're running your calcium, magnesium, and alk higher than normal?

John
Old 02/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Edward, i always wanted to see someone using japanese spotlight! I would also be interest in those japanese magazine.
I see you are going to run your tank like those Italian tanks! What is the salt you are using right now to have those parameters?
Old 02/20/2007, 11:45 PM
zoa ninja

wow it's good to know that my serpent has a pretty long lifespan. in my 24g, he TRIES to hide but fails miserably have you seen any more of these guys on sale? they come in to LFS every once in awhile, and i was interested in getting him/her a mate. not sure how easy serpent star breeding is but it's a cool thought.