Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 07/26/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Problem is the number was found on the internet, and its a place of business. Just lucked up and the business belonged to the guys mom.
Old 07/27/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member.

Yeah i don't think it's harrassment. Your just trying to get info on the guy. And obviously the mom is trying to protect him by not giving it to you.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:32 AM
Carpe Noctem

You need to ask for the Detective Sgt. and explain how nothing is being done. Be polite and ask for suggestions. If nothing happens file a complaint on the basis of failure to act. The police are busy, but it should not entail dropping the call.

The other avenue is to file a motion to produce with your local courts and have mom served at work to divulge the contact info for Jr. If she fails to comply with the court order, she can be held in contempt. Once you have his info I would file a suit against him. It's much quicker than the criminal process.

Just my 0.02
Old 07/27/2007, 10:35 AM
Nothing to put here

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitroq2
http://www.ic3.gov/ The FBI's Cyber Crime Complaint Center
Already filed.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Then just wait and they will get back with you, remember they are busy lots of these thieves out there stealing folks money.
Old 07/27/2007, 03:18 PM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Hypertek99
Yeah i don't think it's harrassment. Your just trying to get info on the guy. And obviously the mom is trying to protect him by not giving it to you.
I would be very careful about this. Is he a minor?

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 07/27/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller
Probably not since he had a paypal account. But I agree I would be very careful due to the harrassing communications law.
Old 07/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Garbologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitroq2
But I agree I would be very careful due to the harrassing communications law.
Yep....you could end up in more trouble that all of this is worth.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 07/27/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller

I wouldn't call the mother or business up either. I would go through with the legal avenues available to you. It sounds to me like this guy is blowing the money on /other/ illicit things, but that's just speculation on my part. Usually, changes in behavior like that are indicative of a deeper problem that needs to be resolved.

If he's using fraud (that's what it is, so you might as well use the right name) to pad his income, it has to be going somewhere. Maybe his girlfriend is pregnant, maybe he's having mental issues, maybe he's entered a phase of his life where he just doesn't care and thinks he can get away with whatever he wants. WHATEVER the story is, a visit from the FBI is more than justified in this case. There's two people on this thread alone that he's scammed... How many more are out there?

If he's doing Bad Things besides ripping you guys off, I'm sure the feds will be able to figure that out on their own and take whatever measures are necessary.

Sometimes a stay in the pen is the wakeup call a person needs.

Although I have an uncle who's about a 5 time loser, not counting stays in local and county, and he's still using drugs and living his life poorly.

Either way, getting him to stop defrauding reefers (by using his mother's business, obviously) is a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 07/27/2007, 04:03 PM
I like sticks in my tank

This thread is disheartening. It just goes to show how low the bar really is. How hard is it to take 5 minutes to drop a package in the mail?
Old 07/27/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miwoodar
This thread is disheartening. It just goes to show how low the bar really is. How hard is it to take 5 minutes to drop a package in the mail?
Exactly.
Old 07/27/2007, 11:28 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Did you ever get it up and running?
Old 07/28/2007, 10:06 AM
Nothing to put here

WOW

After leaving a message on his cell phone yesterday or the day before, he has finally contacted me. In my message I basically said you can either give me my money, get me my pump, or speak with some officers because I am filing a police report.

In his email, he described some personal problems he was having. Not an excuse, but whatever. He said the pump will go out first thing monday morning. I told him I will suspend the police report, and canel it when (if) the pump arrives.
Old 07/28/2007, 11:48 AM
Carpe Noctem

Don't make agreements... It can take the criminal avenue away at that point and tie the departmnent's hands, making it strictly a civil case.
Old 07/28/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I am glad to see that Scott finally got ahold of you... and surfaced in our local club as well. As you can see by so many responses from local reefers we were all a bit disturbed by how things had played out. I do think that after all that has happened you will get your pump LOJ. Sometimes things happen in life that lead people astray, and I am confident that Scott will take steps to get himself back on track now that he has found a more appropriate path for himself. Best of luck to you LOJ, and Scott, if you are reading this, best of luck to you as well.
Old 09/11/2007, 05:56 PM
Nothing to put here

Update...

I'm still screwed. He had called back, left apologetic messages, said it shipped... then fell out of contact again. I am having trouble filing a report because it has to be filed 7 hours away from me by my parents. Hopefully my mother will file the report this week.
Old 09/11/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

That really sucks
Old 09/12/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
Update...

I'm still screwed. He had called back, left apologetic messages, said it shipped... then fell out of contact again. I am having trouble filing a report because it has to be filed 7 hours away from me by my parents. Hopefully my mother will file the report this week.
This is one of the saddest things that I have heard. I'm not much for legal matters but I this has to be some sort of fraud which will result in this guy doing jail time.