Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/11/2007, 12:26 PM
secretary of NCPARS

mille with loss of tissue

on two occasions i have had a millepora,two different colonies,loose a dime size piece of tissue over a two day period.it starts with the coral showing some stringy ,slimy substance at area of necrosis,than the tissue disolves leaving bare skelton.the rest of the colony looks good with no recession at the base or no sign of bugs or worms.good pe and color also.four things that may have caused it that i did in the last two days .first i brought my mg up from 1150 to 1350 in one day with esv. feeding more than usual with various foods.cutting sps frags off large colonies while in the tank,and a 25 percent water change.also this necrosis apears in the middle of a branch,not at the base and not at the top.any thoughts,i am clueless.everything else in the tank is thriving.also the last time this happened i think i raised my mg with randys formula .thanks Dan
Old 12/11/2007, 01:08 PM
secretary of NCPARS

here is a pic.warning it is depressing

i have had this coral for a year and it has grown from a 1 inch frag to where it is now.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

how close to the GSP's? Pretty obvious in the pic that it very well could be your issue.

Stop making all the changes...or anything you were doing stop. Let it ride itself out. I suspect it will only get better. If it continues consider the GSP's.

When you did your 25% WC did you match the alk, temp, salinity etc...to the tank?
Old 12/11/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Your thread has my attention! I just posted in this thread with a possible millie tissue problem..can't wait to hear more!
Old 12/11/2007, 02:54 PM
secretary of NCPARS

thanks for the replies.the gsp is 5 inches away and the mille is on its own island.but i wont lie i thought it may be a possible.the gsp and the mille have not been moved in over a year and the mille has thrived with no signs of stress until two days ago.the day i added the mg,cut corals and did the water change.i do match parameters and age my sea water for a day or two prior to using it.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:38 PM
secretary of NCPARS

any other thoughts would be appreciated
Old 12/11/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Did you TEST the fresh saltwater for ALK, temp and SG before you did the change?
Old 12/12/2007, 08:57 AM
secretary of NCPARS

yes,i did ck the parameters before doing the change.the coral looks good today,except for the area that lost tissue.i'm still puzzled.i think the mg supplement caused it.i added enough to bring up the level from 1150 to 1350 in one dose.thanks Dan
Old 12/12/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

im having a similar issue with two of my millies.

they look just like yours in the pic.

One has a small spot on the bottom near the base, and then stopped. Its still growing and seems fine otherwise, and has been like that for about 2 months now.

The other is slowly receding, and has been for the past month or so, although I think its slowing.

Both colonies, aside from where they are loosing tissue are fine. Tips are colored, polyps fully extended....seem just fine.

Im at a loss.....
Old 12/13/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure that GSP would have the capability to sting. I don't think they contain nemocysts...or stinging cells whatever you call those things lol. Might be the flow. I have had corals get big and they don't get the flow they used to in some areas and kinda brown out a little.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:27 AM
secretary of NCPARS

yes,the flow,same thing i thought,i moved it to a spot where it is getting blasted.the necrosis was advancing last night so i glued the area covering all the bare skeleton and about a eighth inch of good tissue and i am hoping for the best.unfortunately it is an ORA coral that i grew from a tiny frag.i wish it happened to one of my not so rare acros.this morning it has good polyp extension and color and it did not advance since i glued it.i will try to post a pic later today.thanks Dan
Old 12/13/2007, 01:00 PM
secretary of NCPARS

Old 12/14/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Just an idea...

You could try fragging a couple small pieces of healthy tissue and placing them in various parts of the tank. If they see the same necrosis, then maybe it's some global environment condition. If those pieces do fine, then maybe it's some local fungus/parasite/bacteria.

I don't know much about coral maladies .. and there's a good chance that this little test won't tell you anything. From the looks of it though, you don't have much time
Old 12/14/2007, 04:09 PM
secretary of NCPARS

the coral looks good today and the necrosis has stopped.there is 40 or more other acros in the tank that are thriving so i am not sure.bacterial is a feasable cause,possibly due to more feeding i have been trying recently.thanks Dan