Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2006, 11:38 AM

jealousy is such an ugly beast...
Old 08/08/2006, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

hmm,
great idea with the tank in the livingroom floor, but didn't know how to handle humidity. ;-)
Ralf
Old 08/08/2006, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

BTW it's a beautiful tank
Old 08/08/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

How come to forget to mention at the first o2bnh20, that actualy this is great tank ?
As you already know Ralph, great project and absolutly one of the most beauthiful reef aquariums.
Old 08/08/2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Ralph - definitely the best reef tank I've seen, you must be very happy. I'm particularly amazed at the way you've used Bonsai
placement dynamics as the root of your aquascaping - ingenius.
I love Bonsai too. Even your invert stocking decisions are brilliant -
you've even thought carefully about that.

This is also the first time I'm being educated about the Balling
system. I'm very interested in getting to understand this.
I'm running a small 60gal system with SPS/LPS. I'm only running
a Kalkstirrer with no Ca Reactor. My Ca is usually too high - 500.
But everything is very healthy. I dose liquid KH daily.

I've been searching the web for information or a guide to creating
and dosing with this method. I just bought Amino Acids(Marc Weiss) and plan on using it daily. At the moment I use Strontium/Molyb (2Xweek), Iodide (1/week), Mg(1/week), + buffer everyday as I said. Unfortunately I don't test my Mg. Plus I do a weekly 10% waterchange with Aquamedic Salt.

Where could I find more info on the Balling Method and is it expensive? Is it similar to the Zeovit system in anyway?

thanks again for sharing your awesome tank.
Old 08/08/2006, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

I discovered that you have a webpage so I'll just read through the chemistry page - thanks
Old 08/08/2006, 06:03 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Wow! Unbelievable tank and engineering. Congratulations on what appears to be perfection of our hobby.
Old 08/08/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

WOW!! very nice & clean setting. congratulation mate!

question : what the pvc pipe inside tank for??
Old 08/08/2006, 10:04 PM
Moved On

You got good taste of color and fish.
Old 08/08/2006, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

definately tank of year nominee
Old 08/09/2006, 05:00 AM
Registered Member

Amazing...

Very well done
Old 08/09/2006, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Wow!
T(h)ank you very much again,
well, there are still some things to do better and some coral to optimize etc., but I have to confess, I like it too ;-)

@tritonian
"Balling" method is mainly supporting Ca and Alk. and traceelements.
Unfortunately there is no english description, I know about.
I use my own modified version of this, adding also Mg and not adding traceelements that
way. In the original "Balling" method, Hans-Werner Balling mixes also his own traceelements and adds them to the Ca/Alk supplements.
Lot of people stick to using a Ca-Reaktor, also adding some Mg-filling and dosing elements seperately. That'll do the same.
Some weeks ago I tried to explain my understanding of the Balling-method in the SPS-forum.
It sounds more complicated, than it really is. After understanding and getting started it's not
that bad :-). http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...61#post7529861
Some of the KH+ products are nothing else, than NaHCO3 solution (chemical pure Soda), which is also the way Balling does it. So you're maybe partly using that method
Btw. you're dosing Iodine once a week? I read about Iodine reacting with UV-light really fast,
so it should be dosed once a day, in the evening. I don't know if thats right, but I dose that way (automatically).

@Johan Susanto
The pipe is part of the outlet of one of the external water-movement pumps,
we thought it is important to have enough water behind the reef-structure, so no
detritus shows up there (where you can't clean it).
Btw. greetings to the home of my LR, they are from Sulawesi ;-)

Best,
Ralf
Old 08/09/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Congrats Ralf! You better start planning a 5,000 gallon tank once your 870 becomes crowded!

Mike
Old 08/09/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Really great tank..... The only negative that I can say is that for 99.9% the tank of the month feature is an unrealistic tank that we can never have. In saying that I would enjoy a tank that would be more relevent to the typical person. However, I must say that it is an awesome tank and I am envious.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:37 PM
Musical Member

Remarkable! Such a lovely piece of ocean art!! You're aquascaping is the bomb. I was just wondering if you have any problems with your sand being more shallow than most. I really don't wanna put 4-6 inches of sand in our new tank. Looks like you've found the secret of keeping it nice and white. Is it still usefull for denitryfing?

TIA
Old 08/10/2006, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

The tank layout is excelente but the frames around it (room side) are AMAZNIG.

Do you have macros of those frames? What material are made of?
Old 08/10/2006, 03:07 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

You are my hero! I wish i had a 870 gallon tank! How many hours you spend a week taking care of it?
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 08/10/2006, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I dont know if its rude to ask but, would it be in line to ask how much?
Old 08/10/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Sweet tank man, I am so jelious. I always want a biger tank, but I am still stuck with Nano Reef. I am still debating to go reef or marine, but I do not know which livestock to pick, corals or Angels... Hard huh? I like both...
Old 08/10/2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

@RalfP
Regarding Iodine - I used to dose daily. But was never sure of the correct amount to use.

How do you calculate the amount of iodine you use per day?
Old 08/10/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

I have been told I am tackey haveing said that how much does that tank cost,or for that matter how much have any of totm cost.Its rude I know but I am curious.My 30 was over $1500 ,my 10 was a few $100
Thanks
RalphP
Old 08/11/2006, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

How did you structure you LR? Did you used coral Epoxy or some kind of glue? What kind of wall did you use? Where did you feed your tank from? sump or directly to the tank. I notice a box with a lot of switches, what is that? With a those wires, how do you manage them?
Old 08/11/2006, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Thank you so much...

mikekman,
well, if goin' bigger again, I should seriously consider to move to somewhere near a
reef and build an "aerarium" for me into the sea.
Damn can't find that article about a new underwater hotel in the red sea anymore...

bretts3,
I too like to see the hole range of different tanks. Once saw a complete diy low-cost tank,
skimmer made from PE-bottles, tank of wood/epoxy and only viewing-window etc., liked that
one very much. Mediterranian sea tanks with so much different animals, great nano-tanks,
jellyfish-tanks, fish-only systems, there is so much else to see, than just going big.
This tank is only one flavour.

Melody,
the sand is only 2" high (looks less, because the "viewing window" is not showing the whole front of tank, there is about 1" more on each side)'.
It's not meant to denitry, but is surely does a little. Having lots of LR and coral, with
relatively low fishcount, I have NO3 not detectable.
The goby/starfish/cucumbers do a good job in cleaning it. The sand is in for about a year
now and still not getting dark/hard. I do not clean it mechanically.

hugorsf,
its made of an artifical (plastic?) material, one normally build furniture with.
Additional there is a brushed steel shadow gap around it.
It was done by a furniture carpenter, having the same colour than my doors/windowframes.
There is a highres-version of the picture, that shows also the frame at http://www.cashh.de/gallery2/main.ph...g2_itemId=1663 ,
maybe that shows more.

Criminal#58369,
due to the fact that it's all highly automatic i.e. pipes and installed pumps for waterchanges etc. the weekly maintenance at my tankday (friday) is about 2 hours, doin' waterchanges,
cleaning windows, cleaning filters, checking dosingpumps/containers, clean skimmer.
From time to time changing bulbs, cleaning pumps, sump, osmosis maintenance etc. is being spread through different fridays.
Feeding / looking if coral are ok i.e. no parasites, right light/water movement etc. is done
while enjoying the tank through the week.
I use a calender on my computer to assist me, not forgetting the repeating tasks.
So change T5 bulb / change MH / clean ext. pumps / clean powerhead / replace UV-bulbs /
change osmosis-prefilter etc. are repeating tasks with email notification in my calendar.

Harif87, Rjp761,
no problem on asking about how much. Please don't hate me for not answering on that.
I don't know the exact amount and am not really willing to tell, what I know ;-).
Well that figure is imho only usefull to someone that's willing to build her/his own.
If doin' your own, you'll certainly have to do your own very detailed planning.
From that detailed planning, it's only a short way to the sum. Add at least 33% there and you'll get what you'll have to pay.
Sorry.

NanoCube-boy,
I know what you talk about. It was relatively easy for me to choose, because I am a little SPS-mad .
Regarding the LR-structure, I tried to describe on page 2 of this thread.
I used no glue, but a little silicone to attach some angels to the glass.
I feed and dose directly into the tank, want the filter to catch it as late as possible.
The switches you're refering to are mostly fuses. Timers and GFCIs (ground fault circuilt interupters (live-insurance ;-)) also took place there. There are three independent circuilts with plugs having their own fuse.
Some of them are real switches for turning pumps in the basement on/off.

Tritonian,
I use PVP-iodine, PVP-iodine (Poly-vinyl-pyrrolidone?) is a complex organic molecule with
Iodine attached to it. PVP(as a kind of carrier) with or without Iodine attached, is not
as agrassive as KI and quickly removed with the skimmer.
It supports elementar Iodine and not ionic forms of Iodine. I was told, that elementar Iodine
is more usefull for coral, than ionic (as in KI). "Lugol"'s solution would of course also
support elementar Iodine.
I buy "Betaisodona" (tm) or "Polysept" (tm) which is normally used for putting in water and bathing human wounds (also open wounds) i.e. after operations in it.
I dose 1 drop per 40 gal a day. (1:10 thinned to use 10 drops per 40gal a day)
I use this Betaisodona also against parasites on SPS with 2 milliliters in 1 liter saltwater
for a 10 min. bath outside tank (new ones or coral with parasites).

Thanks,
Ralf
Old 08/11/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

I can see you are a SPS Madness, I like them too, but My tank can only support up to 48watts under compact f. lighting.

You GFCI is very interesting, and I like it. How does that set up? Did you do it yourself? That's really neat how you organized your wires.

What kind of food do you feed your tank? That Powder Blue looking really healthy and nice, it's pretty hard to take care of them sometime. I witness it.
Old 08/11/2006, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

I bet the millwork on the cabinet itself is 10-15K american$$$

I think it would be fun to have some guesses on the total cost in American dollars

Anyone game???