Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2005, 10:05 PM
Abba-Zaba!

WOW! Thats awsome! How many anemones do you have total?

What do you know, I have the same tank, but its 75 gallons... (or maybe its 65 with that overflow thing being 10 gallons?) anyways, I will try that method to get them to split (the feed heavy then do big water change)

Do you think raw cocktail shrimp would be bad for an anemone (just because they are cheaper if I am going to feed alot)

are you running skimmerless, just a fuge right?
Old 05/08/2005, 07:21 AM
yes it's my aquarium

MMMMM.....a species TOTM! Anemones to boot. NICE!
Old 05/08/2005, 11:47 AM
Now give me a dollar!

Its great to see something different as Tank of the Month. While I will not go in this direction, I also will not go in the direction of the 200 gallon 4 billion watt sps tank.
Kudos to RC Staff and Anemone for showing the diversity of this hobby.
You really get a sense in this article that Kevin enjoys this tank.

Carl
Old 05/08/2005, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Sweet looking tank! I bet it looks very busy and action packed in there.

Two questions for you:

Are any of the other fish in there stung from the RBTA's or harassed by your GSM?

Do any of your RBTA's ever go swimming around in the current? I find mine doing that every now and again. Is stays in one spot for a long while then it'll be on the move, then in notime its floating/bouncing all around in the current for 5-10 minutes.
Old 05/08/2005, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Hello Kevin!

Nice tank! I also have a seaclear system II but it is 50gal. How did you turn the back into a fuge? I took out my bioballs and but in rubble rock but wanted to turn it into a fuge without modifying it, but the water flow is too high.
Old 05/08/2005, 04:56 PM
Abba-Zaba!

you put two peicees of acrylic in so its like this...

I___I____I____I ___I

The I's being the acrlylic peices that are already there, and Orange I's being the peices you have to put in.

Its sorta hard to explain lol
Old 05/08/2005, 05:26 PM
Now give me a dollar!

[welcome]
rbdesigns
Old 05/08/2005, 09:36 PM
Moderator Clone

LEt's see if I can hit on most of the questions:

I modified the rear-bioball area by putting a piece of acrylic at the bottom of the divider just before the pump chamber (in my system, the water flowed into this chamber through an opening in the bottom of the final divider). I drilled a hole in the acrylic a couple of inches from the top to allow the water to flow through to the final chamber (without overflowing the top). This slowed the turbelence down quite a bit thorough the bioball chamber.

- I think I have 12 or thirteen clones right now, I had a problem with my heater sticking on - couldn't figure out why my chiller was on all the time when the room temp was low 70's. So, the tank was getting up to 82+ degrees. I checked, and the heater was still on at this temp. Cranked it down a bit and finally got it dialed in again (until I can pick up a new one), but the temperature spike seems to have caused a couple of splits...

Dinner time.... more in a bit.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 05/08/2005, 10:12 PM
Moderator Clone

- Fresh table shrimp, cut into smaller pieces, is a fine meal for a BTA. Just make sure it's uncooked and not spiced in any way.

- none of my fish have been stung by my BTAs - at least not to my knowledge. My GSM only really harrasses me when I'm in the tank. The rest of the fish he-she (and them, back when) pretty much ignores.

- my anemones don't go swimming. Mine pretty much move from solid object to solid object. Sometimes they will release a part of their foot like they're "reaching," but they generally don't release the whole foot until they have a hold on something else.

- currently, I am running skimmerless, but I'm reconsidering putting a chinsy one back on the tank -the lack of skimmer has been the only real difference (as far as I can tell), between the first spawning event (where I only lost the hree snails) and the last two spawning events (where I lost fish). The thing that makies this strange and not an exact correlation, is that I actually shut off my skimmer the first time the tank spawned and didn't turn it on until a day later, and even with the fish kills in the later spawnings, all of my snails survived (when they all died in the first spawning), so I'm still confused....

Kevin

Go PAC 10!
Old 05/08/2005, 10:22 PM
TRC Leader

Have the anemones ever stung you?
Old 05/08/2005, 10:37 PM
Abba-Zaba!

I have a RBTA, I brush by it all the time, nothing ever happends. (or at least I cant feel it.)

another question (sorry lol) when you say a temp. spike caused a split, did it split durring the spike, or after?
Old 05/09/2005, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Nice work!!!
Old 05/09/2005, 02:18 PM
Moved In

Gee my anemone looks just like yours! I love that tank, hope mine will do the same thing.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 05/09/2005, 05:28 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Amazing tank, I just keep going back to it and thinking "Wow!". I would really love to get a bta sometime, and I'm sure I will...just those first time jitters . Don't want it to kill over on me, the family would never let me live it down!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 05/09/2005, 05:52 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX
Actually, yes. When I clean the acrylic, the top of my forearm brushes against several of the clones. I usually start to get a burning/itchy sensation that takes 10-15 minutes after I wash my hands/arm to subside. Nothing unbearabale, just about at the level of a mild sunburn, pain-wise.

And as far as the splits after a temp spike, it's usually within 24 hours of the spike, but sometimes (like this time) can occur during the spike - this "spike" was more of a low level one, but went on longer than the times my temp has spiked up to 86-87 degrees. It took me a couple of days to figure out the problem, so my temp was riding up for a couple of days.

Kevin
Old 05/09/2005, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX
I also was wondering about this since in the article you said you used your thumbnail to pry them off the aquarium sides. Wouldn't it be hard not to get stung, or is it pretty mild with brief contact?
Old 05/09/2005, 09:11 PM
Abba-Zaba!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
Actually, yes. When I clean the acrylic, the top of my forearm brushes against several of the clones. I usually start to get a burning/itchy sensation that takes 10-15 minutes after I wash my hands/arm to subside. Nothing unbearabale, just about at the level of a mild sunburn, pain-wise.

And as far as the splits after a temp spike, it's usually within 24 hours of the spike, but sometimes (like this time) can occur during the spike - this "spike" was more of a low level one, but went on longer than the times my temp has spiked up to 86-87 degrees. It took me a couple of days to figure out the problem, so my temp was riding up for a couple of days.

Kevin
Really? does the stinging become less as they clone? like a wild one would hurt more then a second or thrid generation?
Old 05/09/2005, 09:14 PM
Moved On

Nice thread. I'm going to read it all to see if I can get some help on a topic I by coincidence asked about. I think my Roses are spawning and I'm not sure but another RC member was nice enough to refer me here.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this link http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...18#post4913418 I posted about what appears to be milt or a large cloud bloom my rose's are shooting all over, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 05/09/2005, 09:29 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by maxvan1
Really? does the stinging become less as they clone? like a wild one would hurt more then a second or thrid generation?
Not that I've noticed. My clones have actually gotten more "sticky" since I've had them... plus, I may be bulding up an allergic reaction to the stings as well.

Kevin
Old 05/10/2005, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

OK, Anemone, you definitely got my attention here. Not because you have done so good with Anemone's (although I have mad respect for that also) ... but what interests me is what you have done with your SeaClear System II. I too have one that I continue to use for a FO tank with one BTA. I was convinced about 10 years ago to purchase one of these and was told that if I ever wanted to keep inverts it would be perfect. Well, 10 years ago there was not as much widespread knowledge as there is today with respect to nitrate reduction ... so I'll give the guy at PetCo a break. I got the information that I would expect to get from a minimum wage employee at a chain fish store.

We all know that the 'ole wet/dry systems are not condusive to low nitrate levels ... and you mentioned that you removed your bioballs and replaced them with a fuge. That's cool! I have thought about doing something similar. I have toyed with many ideas of getting a real skimmer on the back of it also.

I have managed to get nitrates down to about 25-40PPM by utilizing the installed Protein Skimmer (junk) with the bioballs. Currently, I have it setup as an aggressive tank (humu trigger & dragon wrasse) with the BTA hosting a maroon clown. The BTA has lived in 100+PPM nitrates before I got the skimmer working efficiently, so its very successful right now with 25PPM.

I'd be anxious to see how yours is setup (pictures or diagrams would be wonderful). I would also like to learn a little more in detail about what you did with different skimmer options. Eventually I am going to sell this tank when we start building our 200+ tank ... but I would like to sell it as something that could support <5PPM Nitrates.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Not so much a newbie anymore - but still knowing just enough to be a threat to marine life everywhere!

Kart Racing, BMW's and Reef Keeping - I need to find cheaper obsessions.
Old 05/10/2005, 12:31 PM
Moderator Clone

Dave,

"Uniquarium" makes a skimmer that is a round acrylic tube with a collection cup on one end. It is made to be powered by a Rio 600 venturi that injects the water/air mixture through a hole in the side. This acrylic tube fits into the space for the SeaClear airstone skimmer. It takes some work, but it fits. The rio 600 goes on the bottom of the skimmer area, pointed upward into the bottom of the skimmer tube. You'll need additional airline tubing, as the tubing included with the Rio isn't long enough to reach from the bottom of the skimmer area to the top (ie, to the air). I attached a tetra luft airpump to give some additional airpower to the skimmer, and it worked better than the the airstone skimmer that SeaClear sells (and I didn't have to change the wood airstones every month). The downside is that it's hard to get to the rio to clean it or perform other maintenance. The skimmer area is tough for even someone with small arms like me to reach to the bottom of...

I'll try to diagram the bioball area that I've turned into a 'fuge...not sure if this will work...

.|..|..............................|
.|..|..............................|
.|..|..|...........................|
.|..|..|...........................|
.|..|..|.........|........|.......|
.|1|2.|..3 ....|..4 . ..|..5 ..|
.|..|..|.........|........|.......|
.......|............................|

Okay, 1 is the skimmer chamber - water flows across the bottom of that chamber and up and over chamber 2 into chamber 3. There used to be a drip plate across the top of 3 and 4, and the water overflowing from 2 dripped down into bioballs in 3 and 4. Water flows along the bottom of 3 and 4 into 5, where the main system pump pumps the water back into the tank.

I took a piece of acrylic and glued it over the opening at the bottom of 4, between 4 and 5. This allowed me to put 3-4" of sand in the bioball area. I drilled 1" holes in the dividers between 3 and 4, and 4 and 5, about an inch from the top. This lowers the water level in this refugium area slightly, but helps keep stuff from running across the top of the water from 2 and overflowing into 5... it helps keep stuff in the refugium. I put a 15 watt NO fluorescent Tr-phosphor bulb directly above this refugium area, and there is some spill over of light from the VHO bulbs.

Now, to see if it gets all messed up when I post...

Kevin

Go PAC 10!

Last edited by Anemone; 05/10/2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05/10/2005, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Thank you very much, Kevin. Excellent description of what you did - it makes perfectly good sense. I figured I was going to have to plug up the pump inlet (bottom of divider between 4 & 5), and you confirmed that - although I've been thinking about building a chamber around it, so that it still sucks from the bottom so that if the water level dropped I wouldn't be sucking air.

I just picked up a Coralife Protein skimmer for my frag tank (20 gallon) and it works fantastic. For a HOB deal it really does good, I highly recommend it for someone on a budget that doesn't want to do a sump. My idea is that I'm going to pull it off of my frag tank and try to cram the pump from it down into the skimmer chamber, if that works then I can effectively have a HOB skimmer for it. We'll see. The biggest problem is that I don't have live rock in the tank - so I have to have some type of biological flitration if some type, so removing the bioballs ot cram the skimmer pump down there really isn't feasible.

Therefore, I'm looking at doing something similar to what you have done, but rather than a fuge it would be a 4" sand bed and a bunch of small pieces of live rock all the way up to the top. It won't be quite 1lb/gallon, but it should provide enough filtration for the bioload in the tank.

Love that Coralife skimmer - only $99 with the pump at Aquacon.com

Not so much a newbie anymore - but still knowing just enough to be a threat to marine life everywhere!

Kart Racing, BMW's and Reef Keeping - I need to find cheaper obsessions.
Old 05/11/2005, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Congrats! It's nice one. Getting momment could you tell me about the lighting used in this? Are you using T5 bulbs, what version of watting used, is it 54 version, like tank of the month, on march 2005?
In positive case, could help about where buy this lighting?
May you order an e-mail, getting me to write for?
Thanks,
LÃœBBE
Old 05/11/2005, 01:10 PM
forever newbie

Congrats,Kevin!

Well deserved and I'm glad to see that a species tank was recognized as TOTM. Being RBTA keeper myself it makes me feel very good.
I was lucky enough not to loose any of my fish when all my clones spawned(males, as you know ) I can;t thank you enough for providing all the information I needed at the time.

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 05/11/2005, 04:36 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by LUIZ LÃœBBE
Congrats! It's nice one. Getting momment could you tell me about the lighting used in this? Are you using T5 bulbs, what version of watting used, is it 54 version, like tank of the month, on march 2005?
In positive case, could help about where buy this lighting?
May you order an e-mail, getting me to write for?
Thanks,
LÃœBBE
No, not T-5, VHO. I have an Icecap 660 ballast. From the article:

Quote:
Now the tank is lit by 295 watts of VHO lighting (a 46.5" Actinic Blue bulb, a 46.5" Actinic White bulb and a 24" Actinic White bulb) for 11 hours daily, plus two 15 watt NO bulbs (one actinic and one triphosphor) that run for 12 hours and are used for dawn/dusk simulation and refugium lighting.
The ballast I got from IceCap, and the bulbs I got from Premium Aquatics, both ReefCentral Sponsors.

Kevin