Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Perfection!!!
Old 04/09/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

small but Great Tank!!!

Congratulations Louis
Old 04/09/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

The most deserving TOTM yet.
Old 04/09/2007, 05:53 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Truly amazing. You've made me want to get back into reefing again, Louis. Kudos for that.

I was curious about your sand bed in the main display. How much fiddling did it take to keep your powerhead from creating bare spots near the front glass? When I had my 180 set up, my two Tunze streams created bare spots that forced me to fiddle with rock positioning in order to eliminate.

Well done!

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 04/09/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Louis, thank you so much for your excellent description of how you drilled your tank. Much appreciated!
Old 04/09/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Wonderful
Old 04/09/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raskal311
The most deserving TOTM yet.
That is a bold statement.
Super sweet nano louist!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 04/10/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

very nice nano
Old 04/10/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Sweet. And finally some variation! Great job on the tank.

PW
Old 04/10/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on a beautiful nano
Old 04/10/2007, 04:33 PM
Psychedelic Wonders

where can an all glass tank like this be located? i really like the fact there is no plastic stripping.

louist... is there anyway i could order it from your country and have it shipped to me?

do you know of a store i can find online to do that?

what happened to your sea horse? this is something i really would like to add to my nano as well.
Old 04/11/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Hi Louist,

Congrats on a great looking tank.

I just wondered what LFS you go to. I live in Sydney too and have trouble finding good SPS coral frags. Thanks!
Old 04/11/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Usually we are use to seeing very large tanks as the TOTM.....its really nice to see a smaller tank for a change! Congrats!
Old 04/11/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Red face Your tank is just ok!! For a nano

Just kidding! Great tank, great shot. I really think you deserve TOTM. Your hard work shows!!!!! I really think that nano's can be more work than a larger tank, because things can change so fast. It just looks great!
Victoria
Old 04/11/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank!!
Old 04/11/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MalHavoc
How much fiddling did it take to keep your powerhead from creating bare spots near the front glass? When I had my 180 set up, my two Tunze streams created bare spots that forced me to fiddle with rock positioning in order to eliminate.
It is a bit difficult to see in the photos, however I do have a bald spot at the front left corner. I have really really fine grain sand in there and it gets moved very easily.

I solve the problem partially by having corals such as Acanthastrea sp. and small colonies of Zoanthids on the substrate.

Quote:
Originally posted by agoutihead
where can an all glass tank like this be located? i really like the fact there is no plastic stripping.

what happened to your sea horse? this is something i really would like to add to my nano as well.
I believe Amano Design Aquarium (ADA) sells tanks like these in the US. In fact, a little nicer than this. What I like the most about this tank is the edgeless front and lack of black trim.

I doubt it will be economical to have a tank like this shipped across the Pacific. For the same cost, you could have it made in starfire in the US! which would be 10x better!

The seahorse passed away quite a few month back. She was doing very well in the tank and had adapted a few techniques of surfing the current to get to where she wants. Then she got external gas bubble disease (EGBD or external gaseous edema) which I cured using Diamox (an Acetazolamide, used for altitude sickness). She did well for a bit longer than started getting recurrent EGBD followed by an internal infection. Since antibiotics are strictly controlled (as it should be) in Australia, I wasn't able to get the antibiotcs required to treat her. She later passed away from that infection, may she RIP!

Seahorses are fascinating creatures, but make sure you are aware of their requires and certainly read up about diseases and treatment. RC's forum and Seahorse.org are the best places to start. I'll put them into a larger nano, not a small one. They need some room for movement also.

Quote:
Originally posted by stephenpd
I just wondered what LFS you go to. I live in Sydney too and have trouble finding good SPS coral frags. Thanks!
I got to:
Aquamart at Castle Towers
Strictly's Auburn
Strictly's West Ryde
Auburn Pet center
Kim's Aquatics at Ashfield. This is my main LFS where there are lots of corals. Biggest selection of marine stock in Sydney. However, since they are also the #1 stop for many of the MASS (Marine Aquarium Society of Sydney) members, unless you are there to attend the "stock arrival party", you won't find much stunning colors. Stuff get bought straight out of the shipping boxes and if there are arguments as to who got it first, one person purchase it and split it in the car park

Thanks everyone for your great support! My next goal would be to see if I can get my new 4' into a TOTM material in the coming years
Old 04/11/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Here are two photos on the seahorse. She was a bit younger in the second photo. The Sinularia was her favourite hitching spot since it gave her a view over the Tubastraea colony, which means mysis!

Lastly, I would like to point out a mistake in my write up. I mistakenly ID'ed my blenny to be a "lawn mower blenny", but she is in fact a Peacock Rockskipper Blenny, Istiblennius meleagris. Thanks to Kylie for the correction. One of the distinguishing feature is the "flame tongue" horns on this blenny.
Old 04/11/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

How do you keep the glass so clean. I find that with my nano that the rocks get so close to the side that I have trouble keeping them clean. It looks like your aquascaping is close as well to the glass.
Old 04/12/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

extinguishfire, I use a plastic scraper. It's the ones used by painters for scraping stuff and filling stuff (you probably can tell I am not a painter ).

It's cheap and works well. It chews through coralline too.
Old 04/12/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE
I'll post more photos if people are interested. Some may no longer be relevant to the tank as it is now. Or unless you guys want to go totally OT and see some photos of bugs? [/B][/QUOTE]

Go for it. Lets see some bugs! I love your avatar photo.

Do you have any macro photography of critters in your refugium?
Old 04/12/2007, 08:33 PM
Psychedelic Wonders

i tried doing a search for those particular tanks you mentioned are sold in the US and i didnt come up with anything on google.

do you have any links by chance?
Old 04/12/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by agoutihead
i tried doing a search for those particular tanks you mentioned are sold in the US and i didnt come up with anything on google.

do you have any links by chance?
Look like these:
http://www.pbase.com/plantella/natur...m_gallery_2005

http://www.adana.co.jp/index_e.php
Old 04/13/2007, 08:10 PM
Hawks Rule!

Beautiful tank!

Congrats!

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 04/15/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Congrats very nice nano reef...
Old 04/16/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Another Sydneysider here. This tank is beautiful. Well done.