Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

xenia frag

I got a xenia frag from atlantis a few days ago and it seem to have died immediately.
I think I may have cutoff supply with a rubber band.
Anyway after it was looking way bad and coming apart, I decided to go ahead and cut off the 3 other branches.
It smelled like a raw oyster.
I have quarantined it, and wonder if there is any hope or if I should just flush the thing.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:44 PM
Mouth Pipetting

I'm redoing my aquascaping tonight and I just cut off a big frag of Xenia. I'm considering tossing it b/c it spreads so easily. I would have killed it long ago if the fiance didn't like it so much. . . . so to answer your question, how much do you like Xenia and want to keep it? If you really want it, keep it. If not, flush it.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

I think you misunderstood my statement.
I said I think it died or was dying and I basically fraged it to see if I could get it to stay alive. I am wondering if this will work or if I have to throw it out.
I would love to have a lot of xenia because I am new with corals. Too bad you don't live closer or I would take the stuff you are tossing off you hands.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:27 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by wigo
I think you misunderstood my statement.
I said I think it died or was dying and I basically fraged it to see if I could get it to stay alive. I am wondering if this will work or if I have to throw it out.
I understood. I'd say keep it. If it's dead, then it'll totally dissolve pretty quickly within a day or two. Even if a small amount of tissue survives at the base, then it'll grow back.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

It always smells dead like that, really fishy, even when it's perfectly fine. As soon as you pull it from water, or if it's in a little bit of water. Too bad you're not closer, I have to do some pruning too.

Fraggables:
bam bam zoas
Fire and ice zoas
kenya
pulsing xenia
leather
Old 01/07/2008, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Wigo, If it goes, PM me and I can get you a frag. They usually grow very well. I think they may be a little temperamental sometimes when acclimating to a new tank.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Xenia, if in the right conditions is VERY resiliant to the point of being a PEST in many systems. The good thing about it is that unless it's totally hosed by a chemical imbalance if any part of it survives (as mentioned above) even a small think mat it will grow back. In my tanks I've had one colony "melt" to nothing more than a skin like mat and stay that way a few weeks. Then one morning it's got almost pimple like texture and a few weeks later stalks are shooting up. One thing I have noticed is that when one "melts" and comes back it's more aggressive and more hardy than the original.

Good luck and happy reefing.

Allen

PS It always stinks... the more you handle it the worse it is....
Old 01/07/2008, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Sorry Josh, Thought we were on different topics.

cnelson, I drive down that way fairly often, As a matter of fact I will be coming through there on wednesday if you still have some pruing to do I will be happy to take it off your hands. I can meet you or come by your house.

To all, Thanks for the advice. I will keep it and see what happens. I put it in a tubberware container in the sump to keep it away from the current. I will see what happens.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

If you don't meet up with cnelson let me know... I have plenty.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

no response at this time.
I will be coming through Richmond sometime around 7-8 tomorrow.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

BTW I have a bunch of RC plane stuff.