Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Dosing silicate via dosing pump?

I set up my dosing pump and I am dosing limewater with vinegar, iron, and I want to dose silicate, i bought the waterglass sodium silicate and I am wondering if it is ok to mix up a master batch with ro water and dose it with a pump, I figured it to be ten parts ro water to one part waterglass. Will the sodium silicate mix with the water to create a consistant dose or will it seperate and be dosing inconsistant. Also is it safe to have it mixed with water for over a year in an air tight jug? Let me know your thoughts please.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:54 PM
RC Mod

The sodium silicate should be stable. Dosing with a pump would be fine, but I'd worry about adding to match. You might need a much more dilute solution, but only testing will tell you how much is needed.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Well I figured that with a 10 part ro to one part silicate and roughly 300 gallons of water that with my dosing pump dosing 2ml every 5 seconds that with 12 seconds of dosing being done every 24 hours that I would be dosing about 3ml of actual silicate a week and that amounts to about 3ppm a week. My math could be wrong though because my equation i used is pretty crazy but I think its right. Anyone who really knows there math understand that? Also anyone else care to chime in about there thoughts wheather it is safe or not. Thanks guys.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Whats the benefit of Silicate?

Most of us have too much and can cause problems with algae.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:07 PM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
Originally posted by reef_doug
Whats the benefit of Silicate?
I too would like to know.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Add me to the list of the curious.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:32 AM
Phyto tank master

I bet it will lead to a diatom bloom, silicate is not something that is really needed..

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 12/26/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Icefire
I bet it will lead to a diatom bloom, silicate is not something that is really needed..
Well, that's what I've always believed to be true, and I still do, but I'm still curious.
Old 12/26/2007, 06:15 PM
RC Mod

Silicate is used by many sponges and snails:

http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm

Growing diatoms can also be a useful exercise.
Old 12/26/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

I will tell you my experience on dosing silicate. It has actually cut down on my algea problem by replacing most algea with diatoms. The diatoms are not visible on the rocks and are a clear film on the front glass which is much easier to scrape off with a magfloat then the algea that proceeded it. My snails have stopped dieing off as much and even though I am dosing up my system by 3ppm each time i dose it I have never shown any silicate in my system with my test kits after 2 days meaning it is used up rapidly in my system. Plus my tank looks noticably happier since I have started, I am also dosing the iron with the fergon tablet method and that is helping too. I would recomend you guys reading a few of randys articles all the stuff I have read and tried his suggestions have all worked out great.