Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Do you frag open brains?

I'm just curious how to make more of them. I have a nice open brain and it is about 3-4 years old, with nice color, and it's very large, but it doesn't appear to be on it's way to splitting. I have never heard anyone talk about fragging these - so I was just curious if it can be done - and if anyone has done it.

Thanks!
Old 01/02/2008, 03:34 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Old 01/02/2008, 04:08 PM
SNAFU

Pufferpunk did those pieces live?

What did you use to frag it?

Thanks
Ed
Old 01/02/2008, 06:12 PM
Is it nap time yet?????

you dremel through the skeleton and use a scalpel for the flesh and it usually makes it. I have never had better than 75% success with fragging tracyphillia though.

"In the Torah it says "love thy neighbor as thy self". The Buddha says there is no "self". So maybe you are off the hook."
Old 01/02/2008, 06:54 PM
Pufferkrazy!

It was cut with a circular table saw. If I had been able to sell the pieces after a month (healed & looking great), all of them would have lived but the jerk that cut them (Calfo) told my buyers it was too soon to sell them, so the 4 smaller pieces all died. The whole reason I fragged the coral was because I didn't have room for the whole brain in my tank but still wanted a piece of it. Where was I supposed to keep 7 pieces & be able to give proper light & flow? At the time I wanted to sell them, they all looked great but the small ones died, one by one. I still have the largest piece & the other 2 are doing great. One of which I sold after a month.