Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 08/13/2004, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

pictures of blonde Naso vs reg Naso Tang

Just what the title says
Does anyone have a picture of a Blonde Naso and a regular Naso Tang.
Also do these eat grape calurpa?
Thanks
Old 08/13/2004, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...57&TopCatId=43

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...54&TopCatId=43
Old 08/13/2004, 10:33 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

The big difference I noticed with the blondes is the prominenceof yellow across the top of the face and top fin.

I have a regular one (who is awesome btw) and she has yellow on her face, but most of the blondes I have seen have a bright streak of yellow running from their face to their tail.

At one point I heard that this was actually the same species just a different color morph, but I don't know where the phylogeny stands now.
Old 08/14/2004, 02:39 PM
yes it's my aquarium

"Regular/Common Naso" (also called Lipstick) Tang Naso literatus:
http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...4&what=species

"Blonde/Elegant Naso" Tang Naso elegans:

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...4&what=species

IME, neither eat Caulerpa but prefer brown seaweeds like Sargassum and Nori. Adults of both species require aquariums much larger than 125 gallons, IMO.
Old 08/14/2004, 07:43 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

Is that directed toward me?
Old 08/14/2004, 08:00 PM
yes it's my aquarium

This is a public board. My posts are directed at everyone that reads them, not anyone in particular, EvilMel.
I once tried keeping an adult Naso literatus in my 225 reef aquarium. It was a huge mistake.
I still love these fish, though- that's why I bother to post on public boards about them.
Old 08/14/2004, 09:15 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

Well I didn't mean to incite the tang police but I am planning a 360g, 10 foot tank. It will unfortunately take me a bit to save up for it but I guarantee that this is one of the fattest happiest fish I have ever seen. She went from skin and bones to a totally healthy, let-you-pet-her kind of fish in a matter of months in my care.

I don't want you to think that just because she is currently housed in a 135 that she always will be. I have been planning a large tank around her from the first day I got her and she will probably be the only large fish I put in that tank. I realise that a 135g is inadequate for an adult Naso for the long term. In fact, I am one of those people who always recommends larger tanks than most people do for various fish (e.g. mandarins).

I didn't mean offense by asking if you were directing your comment to me, and I do think the "tang police" reaction is usually warrented, but it's not in this case. It's likely that shortly I will be moving across country and I am already making plans with my reef club to give someone my tank in exchange for letting me move, set up a new 360 (10'L x 24"H x 36"W) and then come back out here and get Priscilla (my Naso). I have even already planned on taking her in a carry-on, even though everyone says I'm nuts to spend the money for a plane ticket when I can just ship her.

So trust me, this Naso is in very loving, capable hands.