Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

If you were starting over... SE or DE?

Assume you were starting a new system and buying brand new reflectors, ballasts and lamps. Your interests are in a mixed reef, likely to lean toward SPS dominance eventually. 24" deep tank.

It is easy to swap out lamps. Reflectors and ballasts are a bit more of a hassle/expense to change. To go from SE to DE, or vice-versa, isn't convenient. So why not start with the best option?

What are the reasons that you (or I) should/would choose SE vs DE?
Old 09/08/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

honestly, if i were starting over, i think i would jump on the T5 bandwagon, less heat, far more color options, just energy, longer bulbs, maybe a bunch of bulbs, like 8 over my 120, just my opinion.
Old 09/08/2007, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

I'm a big fan of SE.... Better selection IMO
Old 09/08/2007, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

I went with DE for the sole reason of being able to use Phoenix 14k bulbs. OTW I would have gone SE. If your not going to use the phoenix bulbs then go SE. Love the Phoenix bulbs though!
Old 09/09/2007, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

I like the better PAR you get with HQI bulbs on an M80 ballast. That said, a 24" tank (mine is 36" and I didn't want to go 400W) makes it less critical.

I've never been 100% happy with the colors Im getting, but not sure SE would fix that.
Old 09/09/2007, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bureau13

I've never been 100% happy with the colors Im getting...
I'd have to agree with this point. I've tried about every high end 150 20K DE bulb out there, and have never been happy with the color. They all seem to burn very white. I like some good blue!

Rob
Old 09/09/2007, 08:42 AM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

SE
Old 09/09/2007, 09:40 AM
Reef Addict

250w SE
Old 09/09/2007, 09:44 AM
ADDICTED MEMBER

I would go DE you can then use the more modern pulse start German bulbs
Old 09/09/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

How much is the glass shielding benefit worth, as far as protecting your reflector? I would have a nice reflector, and I have heard that without the glass shield (on SE), they get damaged and work more poorly over time. Is this a big factor?

I like a crisp white with a touch of blue, btw. Phoenix is too blue for me.
Old 09/09/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

I did start a new tank...but kept the old. I went from the DE bulbs to an SE bulb and love it. Of course my first tank back in 2000 was SE and I went to the DE for the second tank when I set it up in 2005. Basically I went back to SE. I decided to use the Luminarc mini pendants without the glass shield and it seems to be just fine. I am not sure what causes the reflectors to get damaged and work poorly over time...haze?? salt creep?? I wash my reflector once a month with plain water to get some of the splash marks off but in reality there are very few of those.

I run 2 DE 250w 14K Phoenix bulbs over my sps tank and have great colors. The new tank has 1 250w 12K Refflux SE bulb over it and I absolutely love the color. It makes the 2x250w DE bulbs look dim as the tanks are near enough to compare pop of bulb color overall in the tanks. I think if I could I would go with the 12K SE 250w bulbs over my sps tank but the Lumiarc mini pendants for a tank with no canopy are just plain ugly. I do like my phoenix bulbs for sure but the brightness of the one SE bulb over the other tank compared to the brightness of the 2 DE bulbs is pretty startling. I like color spectrum a little better of the Reeflux 12K bulb than the Phoenix 14K...more bright and a bit bluer, but not overly. Just my thoughts
Old 09/09/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

So do you think the Reeflux 12k is bluer than the Phoenix? I would prefer a pure white with a tad blue, and supplement with VHO as needed. I am trying to get more info on the Iwasaki 250w 15k, as well. They are DE and might get the look I am going for.

So many options!
Old 09/09/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

leveldrummer - I thought about doing T5, but I am using them right now above my 30g and I want to try something different. I like the shimmer that MH gives. Next time I do an upgrade/new tank (there is always a next time, right?) I might go back to T5, or try LEDs, or who knows.

Regardless, I need to get some MH experience under my belt.
Old 09/09/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Most ever one is saying SE. I would have to agree. Seem to of lasted longer and easier to check bulbs and replace. I want my old system back. Who bought that from me?
Old 09/09/2007, 02:27 PM
Explorer

Darkstar04,

"So why not start with the best option?"

the problem with these statement is that everybody has an idea of whats the best option

I have tried and have run both and IMO they are a bit different and one would be more suitable in one situation, while the other better in another, thats all

but when really talking about DE vs SE in IMO, people are really talking about what colors they are going to get out of their corals, which IMO is just silly

and the best suggestion about lighting I have seem IMO is this one from JB NY

Quote:
I think most of it is most people just do not know. People look at a picture and think all they need to do is put the same lamp on their tank, and they will get the exact same results.

IMO, pick a lamp that puts out a color you like 6500K ( not for me), 10K or Blue (14K, 20K and the rest of the blue bulbs I put into this category) has decent PAR, and leave it at that. Spend the rest of your time and energy into water quality, the colors will generally come.

Some lamps do help with coloration, I agree. Different lamps can bring out some colors a little more than others, but only up to a point IMO. After that, It's everything else (that we never seem to talk about) that makes it happen.
Lets talk about lighting an SPS tank

good luck on your search of best configuration, lol

sam
Old 09/09/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I've switched from SE to DE and so far have been pretty happy. I switched due to a need to cover the reflector with a glass shield and this is naturally needed with DE, you can shield SE but it blocks out additional light. (I have a fish that likes to splash and broke a couple SE bulbs). It is also much easier to clean a flat piece of glass than to clean the bends of the reflector.

Bob
Old 09/09/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

This I do not understand. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, a single Phoenix bulb puts out significantly more PAR than a single Reeflux bulb let alone comparing 2 Phoenix to a single Reeflux. I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere...

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
I do like my phoenix bulbs for sure but the brightness of the one SE bulb over the other tank compared to the brightness of the 2 DE bulbs is pretty startling.
Old 09/09/2007, 09:35 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

i like single ended myself.

running xm 20ks looking to switch to reeflux 12ks

even throwing up the idea of going to 400s and ditching the the vho actinics
Old 09/10/2007, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldaly
I would go DE you can then use the more modern pulse start German bulbs
i am thinking of switching to AB 250w lamps, do you have any experiance with them?
Old 09/10/2007, 08:22 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Just to throw more into the mix... I think the best combo is 400w SE 20k. High PAR and lots of blue...if you like blue, it doesnt get any better.
Old 09/10/2007, 09:47 AM
ADDICTED MEMBER

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
i am thinking of switching to AB 250w lamps, do you have any experiance with them?
I have not had any personal experience with those bulbs but they are supposed to be very good. I have used both geisman and BLV bulbs over my tank and liked them alot.
Old 09/10/2007, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

400 watt SE + T5. Sfiligoi Infinity

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 09/10/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Nice PAR but too yellow IMO. If you have enough blue supplementation it would probably work.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
Old 09/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

I could have sworn the Sfiligoi Infinity used DE bulbs.

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
400 watt SE + T5. Sfiligoi Infinity
Old 09/10/2007, 12:28 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Re-doing my tank from the beginning right now. Will be using 250W SE MH.