Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which Phosphate Remover To Use???
RowaPhos 37 31.36%
Two Part Solution's Granules 11 9.32%
Two Part Solution's Pellets 11 9.32%
Phosguard 16 13.56%
Other (Please post in thread) 43 36.44%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10/11/2007, 06:01 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Has anyone tested the TPS pellets or grains??? I hear NOONE refferring to them. His prices are VERY reasonable and I even got my bucket on sale so mine was dirt cheap in comparison. Im pretty damn happy with the results. I just wish I had a Hanna to compare numbers.
Old 10/11/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
Has anyone tested the TPS pellets or grains??? I hear NOONE refferring to them. His prices are VERY reasonable and I even got my bucket on sale so mine was dirt cheap in comparison. Im pretty damn happy with the results. I just wish I had a Hanna to compare numbers.
I have been speaking with people in PM about it. I will ask them to post here. I hear its all Bayoxide P-33, just made into different forms like pellets etc.... and repackaged.
Old 10/11/2007, 07:37 PM
See if you can pingaso it

I use TPS GFO Pellets.... so far so good
Old 10/11/2007, 07:48 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
I have been speaking with people in PM about it. I will ask them to post here. I hear its all Bayoxide P-33, just made into different forms like pellets etc.... and repackaged.
Noone denies that... you can read that on TPS's site actually. That being said, it should work just as good as any other product that uses bayoxide.. I would guess phosban, and several others are this same product. However, at the price, I dont care if it is as good as Phosar or the other new versions.. I can replace it 4x as often for the same price.
Old 10/11/2007, 08:09 PM
Moved On

Kurt- You should know by now that in this hobby a name sometimes is just a name to justify a higher pricetag
Old 10/11/2007, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

This is a very good read on GFO
Old 10/11/2007, 10:13 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
Kurt- You should know by now that in this hobby a name sometimes is just a name to justify a higher pricetag
I know it all to well, which is EXACTLY why i got the TPS pellets. I have enough to last me for years and I paid a fraction of what these other products are selling for. I can tell just by looking at the glass that my Po4 are much lower now since using the product, so I am happy with its performance thus far. Infact, I was even using Zeo before and my po4 seem to be much lower now than it was with Zeo.
Old 10/11/2007, 10:23 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Warner Marine PHOsR and Warner Marine PHOsR HC. IMO one of the best out there.
Yep
Old 10/12/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Yep
I think its due to the shape of it...at least the regular phosar. Can't speak for the HC.
Old 10/12/2007, 08:30 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Oops. I accidentally voted for the wrong thing. I use TPS' pelletized Bayoxide 33-P. It is a good product and *seemed* to work slightly better than most. Whether or not it was a result of it being relatively cheaper in bulk or actual results, I am happy with it. I also use their pelletized ROX 0.8 carbon (incredible stuff).
Old 10/13/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I can tell just by looking at the glass that my Po4 are much lower now since using the product
how do you tell? by the amount of algae on the glass? i ask because i notice water clarity has improved drastically since i put a small bag of GFO in my 10g last night. i don't think the reduction of p04 will increase water clarify, or does it?
Old 10/14/2007, 11:51 AM
Seahorse Wrangler

Warner Marine PHOsR and Warner Marine PHOsR HC. IMO one of the best out there.
Yep, here too. Using the HC.
Old 10/14/2007, 12:45 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
i don't think the reduction of p04 will increase water clarify, or does it?
You ar right the reduction of PO4 does not afect clarity.
There are some posibilities for the media to improve clarity that I can think off. One will be that the media bag is acting as a mechanical filter, the other one I can think off is that if you were having some abiotic precipitation signaled by minute white floating particles and the media lowered the alkalinity a bit it might have been enough to stop the precipitation
Old 10/14/2007, 12:49 PM
Moved On

I'm using Warner Marine PHOsR. It's the best.
Old 10/14/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

jdieck,
i did notice the media bag traps some debris but the bag is 250micron which is too large to polish the water. anyway, do you think the debris trapping will be a problem? would it affect the p04 absortion? should i replace the media often in this case?

thx!
Old 10/14/2007, 05:30 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
jdieck,
i did notice the media bag traps some debris but the bag is 250micron which is too large to polish the water. anyway, do you think the debris trapping will be a problem? would it affect the p04 absortion? should i replace the media often in this case?

thx!
Should not be a problem.
Old 10/14/2007, 09:21 PM
Keeping It Real

Are most of you all running the phosphate removers through media reactors, or just filter socks???

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 10/16/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Phoslock
Old 10/16/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

I'm running through a phosphate reactor (TLF Phosban Reactor).

Bob
Old 10/17/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Warner Marine Phosar
Old 10/17/2007, 08:52 AM
Why do I live in IL?

I actually think 90% of you have no idea how well your product works :P.

To say your product is the best w/out actually conducting thorough testing is pretty ignorant IMHO. I have a feeling that most of these products are the same exact product, or very close to it with minor variations. I highly doubt any of you are noticing REAL differences in color or any other thing in your tank. Unless your using a Hanna on a regular basis, I really dont think you can say how good your product is, and that is only if you have used several diff kinds, and have kept your feeding schedules and bioload the exact same during that time.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:42 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:

To say your product is the best w/out actually conducting thorough testing is pretty ignorant IMHO. I have a feeling that most of these products are the same exact product, or very close to it with minor variations. I highly doubt any of you are noticing REAL differences in color or any other thing in your tank. Unless your using a Hanna on a regular basis, I really dont think you can say how good your product is, and that is only if you have used several diff kinds, and have kept your feeding schedules and bioload the exact same during that time.
Those who know me already also know that I do not often recommend any products or equipment and even at times I have reserved my own opinion when requested to do so but if I do make a recommendation you can count on the fact that I have done more than the usual to prove it to myself.
I ran comparison tests for 8 months between Rowaphos, Phosban and Warner's PHOsR with some test ran in parallel. These included not only adsorption capacity short term and over the long run but also ovbservations on the critter reactions to large overdosing, the tendency to clumping and the easyness of rinsing. I went as far as purchasing the necessary NIST reference solution, calibrated flasks, burettes and measuring cylinders to insure identical sampling as well as the high purity acid solution for cleaning all lab testing equipment to prevent cross contamination and also evaluated the testing deviations of the colorimeter .
Why did I tested only those three? Besides the increased cost of running more tests. I really only intended to use either one of those three which struck me the ones produced by what IMO are quality vendors.
Why not cheaper unbranded products? I have had some unpleasent surprises in the past that make me very cautious. Even with products I know the original source is the same I have seen my fair share of cross contamination in packaging and handling of the original product to keep me away from unbranded materials, not to mention the need to keep track of the original manufacturer's change of specifications without much notice.
So I think so far you can count me on your remaining 10%.
Old 10/17/2007, 06:01 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
These included not only adsorption capacity short term and over the long run but also ovbservations on the critter reactions to large overdosing
How does the Warner Marine PHOsR compare to the older Fe oxide products like phoban and rowa when it comes to problems with Acropora and other similar stonies? I know lots of people, including myself, had STN and RTN issues with the older types when they came out.
thanks, Chris
Old 10/17/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Based on your previous posts in this forum it doesn't sound like you know too much about your product and other brands other than how good or bad the tank looks from using the media. I use the ROWA Merck Phosphate Test Kit and since I started using my Warner Marine Phosar in my AquaC XP Plus reactor I saw my levels drop in a week from 0.30 to 0.035 ppm.
Old 10/17/2007, 07:26 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc11
How does the Warner Marine PHOsR compare to the older Fe oxide products like phoban and rowa when it comes to problems with Acropora and other similar stonies? I know lots of people, including myself, had STN and RTN issues with the older types when they came out.
thanks, Chris
Although I noticed temporary polyp contraction with Phosban and Rowa when newly replenished, I was not really able to replicate either STN or RTN even at 4 times the recommended dosage. My thinking is that given the tendency of Rowa and Phosban to have more fine particles even after rinsing , that the polyps temporarily contract to avoid those particles floating in the water column until they settle or the skimmer skims them out.
Why I could not replicate the RTN or STN, the only explanation I can find is that I started the tests with a relatively low phosphate level of around 1 ppm which may be interpreted that a potential cause for the RTN or STN is not really caused by a chemical released by the media (like iron) but rather by the sudden reduction in phosphate level down from a relatively high concentration.