Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Used Equipment & Drygoods Selling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

5.5g cylinder reef tank with sump and metal halide.

I am offering it for sale the 5.5 gallon cylinder tank that I built as a project for myself. I am only selling
because I am gethering funds for the down payment for a house. This is a
custom made by me tank, top, light, and stand. Here are the general specs...

1) 12" x 12" acrylic cylinder made into tank with overflow/return built in. (5.5 gallon volume)
2) stand with door and hood with lid. Both have been sealed, veneered, and stained with red oak.
3) fabricated reflector with 70w halide (AstraLux bulb and IceCap ballast) both brand new only
fired twice, less then 30 minutes total time on each.
4) The total dimensions are 14.75" diameter on the stand and top, 12" diameter on the tank section
and 30" total height.

Now here is the interesting part. As you can see the shot with the light on has the cord running
out the door. I did it this way because I am not sure how the new owner will want it. I was going to
buy a small table for it to sit on and cut a hole in the bottom of the stand and the top of the table
and run the electrics down into there. This way you could see no cords. The electricity for the
light actually runs up into the top through the overflow/return. I placed a quick disconnect on the
reflector so you can remove the top very easily. If you do not want it this way I will make a hole in
the rear of the stand for the cords. The plans for the stand were to build a small sump with fuge
and put it in there. I have not built it yet because if I bought a table for it to sit on that has a door
I would build a larger sump so I could have more water volume, a skimmer etc... Either way I will build the
new owner what ever they want for it. I am also including a brand new coralife fuge light that I
bought for it that is seen in the pic. The return is locline and is split into 2 nozzles. The way this
tank is shaped it will have NO dead flow spots. The AstraLux bulb has an awesome color to it
that is a bright white with a blue tint.

If you have any further questions please ask, I am sure I forgot something. I am asking $550 for all
of it including the sump that is to be built per your spec. I have an honest $500 in material in this
setup so far and that is not including the cost of material for the sump or time to build it. After the
sump is finished I will haev built the whoel thing for free. Try to consider the amount of hours I have spent building,
driving to get parts, planning, etc... You will be able to keep just about any coral in this tank with
the lighting and filtration that it comes with. I know it seems steep for 5.5 gallons of space but it is
a one of a kind and a real nice piece all around. I will NOT be building another one of these. No expense was spared when I was building this. I
bought the very best of the best of everything.

If you already have lighting I will sell you just the tank minus the bulb and ballast for $400

Old 06/16/2007, 04:27 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

I'm so wishing that I had that money right now! But if you ever decide to do this as a spare money/hobby thing, let me know cause I would def buy one in the future! Bump for a great tank!
Old 06/17/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it. Everyone that has seen it pretty much has the same feelings. I honestly did not think that people would like it so much, I have really enjoyed the responses. I know that this will make someone a great little show piece in their office or home.
Old 06/17/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

That is a beautiful setup, was there a build thread for it?
Old 06/17/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Yes, it is in the DIY forum under a different name. I did not have enough post to put it in here with the other name.
Old 06/17/2007, 08:14 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

man i just finished setting up my office tank!! where were you a week ago! haha good luck with the sell def a gorgeous tank! and would have been perfect on my desk
Old 06/18/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DKreefkeepers
Yes, it is in the DIY forum under a different name. I did not have enough post to put it in here with the other name.
Did you have the link, I can't find it..
Old 06/18/2007, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Bump for a great little tank!
Old 06/18/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

very cool tank, I'm trying to upgrade to a 75 right now or I'd jump on it. Bump!
Old 06/18/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Am I missing where this is located? Nice tank, by the way!

Bob
Old 06/18/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

I can not find the link any more myself, I know it is in there though. thanks again fellas I am talking to a couple of people that are interested in it but nothing solid yet.
Old 06/18/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BraenDead
Am I missing where this is located? Nice tank, by the way!

Bob

Sorry, it is in the DFW area of Texas.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

5.5 tank

that is a great looking tank, I wish I could find that diy thread. bump for a great tank.
Old 06/19/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

How is the drain and return plumbed? I can't find the build thread for it.
Old 06/19/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

The thread does not show the plumbing, There are 3 seperate tubes inside the one black tube, one for drain that is cut off below the top of the black tube, another for return that just clears the top of the black tube and has a 90 degree fitting on that the locline attaches to, and the last is sealed and kept dry for the electricity into the top. It extends about 4" above the top of the tank and into the hood.
Old 06/19/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

here is the thread, it took me a while to find it again but here it is...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1134487
Old 06/20/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

still for sale, any offers?
Old 06/21/2007, 09:53 AM
Zen Reefer

dang, thats one sweet nano tank.

ORCA Founder
Old 06/22/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

$350 for the tank setup, $140 for the light setup?
Old 06/23/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

$500 shipped for everything

$300+ freight for the tank setup

$130 shipped for the lights
Old 06/23/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Dont have the room for another tank but i gotta say that is one of the coolest DIY tanks i have seen.

Every fight is a food fight, if you are a cannibal.