Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2005, 12:00 AM
Seamonkey on my back

Matt, seriously, if you have stock that needs babysitting, i have room to spare. a couple of the blue troughs worth at least.

Rick
Old 11/22/2005, 01:36 PM
Moved On

Bummer bro,

I've been reading both threads (here & on zoorus) for a while now. My wife & I just saw this damage and we were both shocked.

We learned a lot from the threads and it has inspired us to dream of a greenhouse system. Good luck with the rebuild, please keep the posts coming =)
Old 01/02/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

The GH was delivered the 27th of December. So much for right after Thanksgiving! We started on it the next day.
DAY 1 Laid out all the parts, 2 rows of gutters and some truss'

DAY 2 More truss' and bracing.

DAY 3 Finished all the truss' and most of the bracing, will do the end walls and get ready for concrete.

It goes quick when you hire 7 or 8 guys to work on it. We should be pouring the rest of the concrete on Thursay of this week. Hopefully up and operating with plastic, heater and electric in by next week.

The future is a self sustaining hobby.
Old 01/02/2006, 11:48 PM
TRC Leader

What did you do with all your livestock during this long waiting period?

Glad to see an update and some progress.
Old 01/03/2006, 12:39 AM
Teem Zissou

Quote:
Originally posted by Treeman
I am trying to find TR zoos, but that is hard to do or I have been looking in the wrong places.
heya!

just read this thread - looks like the rebuilding is going strong!

quick question, what do you mean by 'TR zoos'?

thx!
Old 01/03/2006, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

Nice job! Is this GH stronger than the last one? Are you adopting any new precautions?

Ricardo
Old 01/03/2006, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Marc,

All the livestock is under that white cloth. It is still in the tanks. One tank was busted and had to be pulled out and 2 of the other tanks are cracked and will have to be replaced. I am just dealing with the leaks by replacing water as it leaks out.

I have to cover the tanks almost every night due to the temp swings. Most of the time it is not bad but this weekend is supposed to get down to the mid 40's so I will have to be extra careful. I bought extra electric heaters after the storm to keep up with it being out in the open. I now have 6 - 800 watt heaters in this one system.

WHodah,

I mean tank raised (TR) You don't have the shock and die off that you get from shipping in collected pieces.

Ricardo,

The GH is stronger than the last one. If this one goes down in a hurricane then I want to be very far away It is rated at 141 mph wind load. The last one had post spacing at 12' on center and the roof bows at 6 feet. This one has posts at 9 feet on center and a roof bow every 3 feet. The new one also has 4" x 4" posts and deadman braces all the way around the outside.

I don't know about extra precautions. I bought and built a better, stronger GH. I will probably put the blower that fills the area between the two plastic layers with an automatic battery back up. To keep the strength intact in case of a power faliure.

Last edited by Treeman; 01/03/2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01/04/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Whats the ball park on how much it cost to set this monster up? How long do you think it would take to pay itself off?
Old 01/04/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

That is a good question.

I have not finished the rebuilding of the GH but I think I will have about 30,000. I just haven't had time to keep up on that lately. This is much more than the last one cost so I really don't know how long it will take to recoup the costs. Because when the hurricane came thru my business plan seemed to go out the window. I guess I should have went back and revised it and checked to see if it was feasible to rebuild or not but at that point it was more a question of will I let all that I have done go for nothing or grit my teeth and keep it going.

I have pretty much decided that if another storm knocks this one down I am done. I hate to say that, but this has been worse than starting from scrtach. I may have decided differently if I did not have most of the stock alive after the storm.

Old 01/04/2006, 09:08 PM

Tough blow. Really the decision comes down to grit and demand:margin ratio. I almost went broke but moved my store to a new location and stuck it out. In the end it has paid off but let me tell you not making any money for long periods can get you down. That's why there are business owners and employees. Some have what it takes to persevere, some do not. Keep your eye on the prize!
Old 01/05/2006, 11:36 AM
planning the next one

Don't give it up bro. There are a lot of us out here rooting and praying for you and your family. We know you will be ok with your other ventures, but you have been a true inspiration to many, myself included.
Old 01/05/2006, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

was the last green house insured for this type of damage?
Old 03/05/2006, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Wow, matt, I had no idea it was so badly damaged... I wish you'd have called me. I'd have been over there right away. My house lost enough shingles to warrant a new roof, and the power was out 10 days. It cost me around 300 bucks to keep my generator running that whole time. The hardest part was the heat. I kept having to throw frozen gelpacks in my fuge, but only one acro was lost (those who've seen my system wouldn't believe me, I've got so much stuff in there!) Any emergencies, call me!
Registered Member

Wow, matt, I had no idea it was so badly damaged... I wish you'd have called me. I'd have been over there right away. My house lost enough shingles to warrant a new roof, and the power was out 10 days. It cost me around 300 bucks to keep my generator running that whole time. The hardest part was the heat. I kept having to throw frozen gelpacks in my fuge, but only one acro was lost (those who've seen my system wouldn't believe me, I've got so much stuff in there!) Any emergencies, call me!
Registered Member

Old 03/31/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Update? Must be pretty tough decision, considering that Hurricane season is like 2-3 months away. How long was your GH setup before the storm? I would love to see more pics of the corals you were growing. Your avy is awesome.
Old 03/31/2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

This is the new house with plastic on. The structure is so much stronger than the older one. Hopefully I don't get to test it this year I don't think the heater etc is working yet. I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about rain getting in.

This is the interior. I was right the heater is not running yet. That is why the tanks are still covered for the cold. I think this was about early February. New sps system in background.

I have almost got the sps system plumbed and the QT system up and running in foreground. Future tubs in back right.

The sps system is up and running. This is a few weeks old. I now have about 500 frags in and growing.

Dirtysouth,
Just grin and bear it with the new season on the way. The other one was up with no tanks when Charley, I think it was, came thru the year before. So about a year. I had a 10' x 20' set up before this to get the bugs out. It was set up in 2003. I will try and get some livestock pictures soon. It is tough because I have spent all my time setting up tanks.

Old 04/01/2006, 12:02 AM
TRC Leader

Way to go - real progress in getting things back to where they were. Sorry, that almost sounds negative, but I'm really commending you on your efforts.
Old 04/01/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Awesome setup. What do you do as far as filtration and calcium?
Old 04/01/2006, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Filtering is done with skimmers and filter pads/socks. I use calcium/alkilinity additives.

Thanks Marc, I took it that way

Old 04/01/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Coming along great, Looking forward to more pics!
Old 04/01/2006, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Nice Nice!
Old 04/29/2006, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

any updates?

hey treeman got any updates to talk about?
Old 04/29/2006, 10:59 AM

and where did you get the blue/green troughs? Those look really handy.
Old 04/29/2006, 09:03 PM
Moved On

WOW how can you do that land is so expensive in ft lauderdale