Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2005, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to see your GH like that.I'm sure the next set up will be even better.
Old 11/02/2005, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Marc,

I managed to save more than half of the livestock. The only stock I lost was sps and most of that was in the 2 broken tanks. As soon as I got here monday I moved them to another tank. They were out of the water so I moved them as fast as I could. I think it had been about 3-4 hours. I just don't know when the GH went down. It was amazing that the tanks were mostly intact. Even the water holding tanks inside and outside were still good. I had 200+ gallons of saltwater and 300 gallons of fresh water. I did a 200 gallon water change as soon as I got the genny running so that I could get some of the floating leaves etc out of the tanks. I also over filled it so that it would raise the salinity as it evaporated.

I had me generator up and running within an hour of getting here. I was worried about the cold in the days after. I know it wasn't as cold as you guys get but 58 at night with open tanks to the enviroment is bad. I put some freeze cloth that I had for my plants over the top of the tanks. I also ran 3 - 800 watt heaters with the generator. With all that I was able to keep the tank temps at 72 over night.

I have been losing more things as the days have gone by, but I think that was from the low salinity and the damage didn't show up right away. The zoanthus and leathers act like it never happened.

The future is a self sustaining hobby.
Old 11/02/2005, 09:50 AM
TRC Leader

Man-oh-man. It sounds like you did all you could. Short of making a small bonfire and camping out near your babies overnight.
Old 11/02/2005, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Matt,

If there are any sps that are looking so-so and are worth trying to save (something hard to find/replace) let me know. I can try to come by to grab what I can and try to save it.

Rafael
Old 11/02/2005, 10:07 AM

there's a guy on craigs list in the Seattle/tacoma area selling a GH that looks a lot like yours. --J
Old 11/02/2005, 10:19 AM
On hobby time out!

Dude, this is heart breaking. I have not seen this project in person, but can only imagine. Keep it up and keep trying.
Old 11/02/2005, 10:45 AM

Anesthesiologist That's got to be a fun job!
Old 11/02/2005, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

It was before Wilma! Now it is a lot of work just tearing down the steel spagetti.

Old 11/02/2005, 05:06 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Anesthesiologist That's got to be a fun job!
If you only knew
Old 11/02/2005, 06:58 PM

I had an Angio-gram recently and the Anesthesiologist kept me dialed in exactly. I could talk, take directions, feel everything but still under enough that the only pain I felt is when the Dr.-in- training hit a nerve and it shot hot fire down my leg.--J
Old 11/02/2005, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Hi Matt,

I asked Russell today if he had heard from you since last Monday and he said he hadn't but now I see you have been busy. I'm very sorry to see these pics but I'm inspired by your resilience. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

John
Old 11/02/2005, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks John, I still want to have a meeting as soon as possible. We need to talk soon.

Matt

Old 11/02/2005, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Sounds good Matt, I'll get with Russell tomorrow and let you know what works best for him. I'm probably more flexible than he is at this time. Does the 13th work?
Old 11/04/2005, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

im confused.. insurance covered it? .. What about the "110mph" winds they said it could hold .. wilma was naughty but that shouldnt of happened. Gets me mad and I didnt even pay for it.
Old 11/04/2005, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

I talked to the people that sold it to me. They said if I was going to go that route of wanting anything free(waurantee) I would have to supply them with everything to prove that I installed it correctly. Like a copy of the concrete test, pictures etc to prove we put every screw exactly where it was supposed to go and then prove that we did not have sustained winds even 1 mph above the 110. It is not even worth the effort to go there because if I did that I may still be here without a GH thru the worst of winter. Even by just buying one it will take at least a month to get and another 2 - 4 weeks to install.

But I am not sure that I will go with the same company, After how that have acted with this. I have found another company that seems to be a little better tuned to the smaller customer like me. I will post here as I go and let everybody know how this goes.

Old 11/04/2005, 11:45 PM

yeah, that bites! shows you what those warranties are really worth.--J
Old 11/05/2005, 12:14 AM
TRC Leader

Argh. Time to hire a lawyer to pursue the original GH company while you buy a new one from this one. Maybe you'll get a settlement to defray some of the cost of the new one.

You know, if you had documented it in a thread or website like I do, you could virtually count the rivets for those bean counters.
Old 11/05/2005, 01:25 AM
Seamonkey on my back

you mean like this?

http://www.zoosrus.com/forums/showth...&threadid=1114

Rick
Old 11/05/2005, 11:24 AM

All I can say is WOW. That is unbelievable. What a lot of time and investment going into that project. And then to have one completely ruined! I might have hung myself, or better yet, hung the manufacturer who claimed it could withstand high winds.--J
Old 11/05/2005, 01:50 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Argh. Time to hire a lawyer to pursue the original GH company while you buy a new one from this one. Maybe you'll get a settlement to defray some of the cost of the new one.
You might not have to even hire a lawyer. If the cost of the kit was less than $5000, even if they are out of state, you can just sue them for the total in small claims court. If it is more, then you may have to get a lawyer to sue them for the total amount, labor, any other parts invovled ruined because of the manufacturer's rating, and the lawyer's fees. To go this route, you may have to consult a layer regardless and at least spend the cos tof the consult to find out if it is something worth pursuing. Yes, you would likely have to buy a new one out of pocket in the meantime. You could also have a lawyer write him a letter stating that you do not seek any financial damages and just seek complete replacement of the ruined one. It may be more realistic to do this anyway. Even if you decide to go with another brand or type, you can always sell this one. That should not be a problem in S. FL
Old 11/05/2005, 03:20 PM

Small claims is a good way to go because the burden of proof is relatively low. The problem is collecting because the courts do not collect for you. If it comes to that, get in touch with me and I will explain exactly how you can collect. It is very tricky and most lawyers do not know how to do it. I learned the hard way, but got a scam artist for 3 times what he took from me. I am the only plaintiff out of 10 that we know of who has collected from this guy, and in the process I turned the heat up enough that after his property was seized to pay me, he fled to Mexico.--J
Old 11/08/2005, 02:07 AM
DOH!

Hello,

This is my first time posting here in this thread, and I found it because I am subscribed to the "Let the insanity begin" thread.

I must say I am sorry to hear about what Wilma did to you.

All my family lives either in North Tampa or Orlando and Jax so none of us got hit by Wilma with any severe effects. I can only think I know what you are dealing with. The closest I have been to that is after Charlie went through Polk and I and I went over there to help clean up my girlfriends parents Mobile home park they own. However, this has nothing to do with our hobby, only people and their homes which is actually worse. Once again, I am sorry to read about this.

I live in Tampa, FL and would be more than willing to drive down if you need any help at all. That is not an sympathy offer. I do mean it.

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and doing well.

Sincerely,

Alan Brown

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire.

Aww Right!!!!
Old 11/11/2005, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

cooling

what if you were to put the gh 4 foot in the ground , basements are cooler with them.
Old 11/11/2005, 11:01 PM
Seamonkey on my back

south floridas water table doesn't allow any basements.

Rick
Old 11/20/2005, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

I have the old GH down. Waiting on the new one. Should be here the week after Thanksgiving.This was the only wall that was close to being upright.

The tanks put to bed due to the 50's and 60's at night.