Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2003, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

wow martyn
can you let me know where abouts in cambridgeshire
you are looking for some frags myself for my setup
Old 07/02/2003, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Wow Ive never seen that many corals on one picture, That is a couple of amazing tanks you've got there. It beats the living crap out of my tank. Downsize it to 50 gallons, remove all the corals, put an coralbanded shrimp in it and add a damsellfish and u have got my tank. -all my algae of course

Do u have a showtank to? If you do I would love to see it. But your fragtanks qualify as a reef of the month so Im not sure that u need a showtank

Jojje
Old 07/14/2003, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

i just have one thing to say.... NO FAIR lol, GJ Martyn im trying to get some SPS to my tank... Not very much here in Dallas!

GJ agian
Travis
Old 07/15/2003, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

That is absolutely amazing?

I have a question. What is the material you use for the bases of your frags and what do you use to attach them?

Thanks

Gary
Old 07/17/2003, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

im not sure if it was covered, but do you have to dose any calcium, or run a reactor, or does the calcium maintain itself in a system like this?

awesome stuff, id love to do something similar eventually
Old 07/19/2003, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Hi martyn

Good to see all those photos came out ok!

still looks better in person though

to answer funstarfish question,martyn has a calcuim reactor tank,I will let him explain more but its effect and cheap to run.

Best Regards

Andrew
Old 07/21/2003, 07:45 AM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

I was wondering if you had ever noticed any spawning from the acros in your system?
Old 07/25/2003, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Hi all
I have had computor problems so only just noticed the extra replys to this thread.

Discs are made from a two epoxy called milliput I make an indent in the centre of each disc allow to cure and harden then use and store the excess discs until needed.
Attaching branches is simple just fill the indent with super glue push branch in then place disc and branch in tank water in a tub.

I use a calcium tank I ll add more details at a later date when I have more spare time..
Its just a standard glass tank with eggcrate raised of the bottom pipe work under the eggcrate with holes spaced along the length fed bay an ehiem 1060.
mesh and crushed coral sits ontop of the eggcrate.
the 1060 circulates the water above the media to below the eggcrate and CO2 is fed near to the intake of the 1060 released through a wooded diffuser this help give good circulation and mixing of CO2 through out the water.

Works very well keeping Alk and calc in the main system at around 9dKH 415ppm calc.

Yes I have seen on occasions the larger Acropora's spawning.

Regards
Martyn
Old 07/26/2003, 03:47 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Welcome back to the web

Spawning, I'd bet you'd eventually get some wild morphs with all those species in the same system. Do you think it's possible?
Old 08/05/2003, 11:09 AM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

Martyn,

I love your system immensely. I was curious about something. I may possibly be moving to Germany this fall and I have relatives in Suffolk. Have you had any problems with shipping your frags to other parts of Europe, specifically Germany? If I do move to Germany, I would love to visit your farm and pick up some stock from you. Even if I don't, the next time I'm in the UK, I'd love to come see your tanks.
Old 08/06/2003, 10:28 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have a modest 3 tank propagation system at my house, but nothing compared to yours. I hope with time that mine will look as good as yours (high hopes). People around here tell me that I have a better selection than most pet shops they have been to...you have a better selection than most wholesalers I have seen.
Old 06/09/2004, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Bump

Great thread about a great system. Just thougth I'd give it a bump and ask if there's anthing new.
Old 06/11/2004, 07:53 AM
I Need An Intervention!

thats sick!! Sweet just sweet
Old 06/14/2004, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

what are the the color temperatures of your bulbs?
=DIY 18g rubbermaid sump w/ 5g rubbermaid fuge inside, mag5.
=20g long mangrove tank w/ 20g sump all connected to main!
Old 06/15/2004, 12:47 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Unfortunately, it appears as though he fell off RC right after his last post. I search through the server for him and I the post above is the most recent. Such a shame...I think he was one of the greats.
Old 06/18/2004, 06:51 PM
midnight desperado

It is a great thing this man is donig for all of us and the reefs of the world!!!! I wish we had more people like him to help save some wild stock and make some people understand that we are all not out there to distroy reefs!!!! It is a dream of mine to make lots of money and build a prop warehouse somewere on the west coast. i wouldn't sell them I would just trade them. It is in the best intrest of the worlds reefs that something like this is done on a much bigger scale (though his systems are huge!) People like this should have government funding!!!!!!
Hey thats not a bad idea ---- If you do come back to this thread please post a paypal account or something. I wouldn't mind sending a few buck your way!!!
Nate D
"If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!!!!"
"Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment" -BrianD-
Old 06/21/2004, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

WOW, WOW, WOW...... come back Martyn!

I think we all would have a thing or two to learn from this guy.
absolutely amazing. I think this is the kind of thing that a lot of us reefers strive for, an amazing tank with obviously flourishing corals. Thank you Martyn, I hope you see this, you have definitely had an impact on me. Thank you
Old 03/22/2005, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

post some new pics
cb
Old 03/22/2005, 04:04 AM
Premium Member

Yea, new pics.
Old 03/22/2005, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

very nice tank I cant wait to see some more pics

steve
Old 03/22/2005, 11:51 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Great set up wow like all the others have said. Are you feeding them if so what are you adding?
Old 03/23/2005, 02:22 PM
1 Tank Shy of an Ocean

Quote:
Originally posted by minfinger
Unfortunately, it appears as though he fell off RC right after his last post. I search through the server for him and I the post above is the most recent. Such a shame...I think he was one of the greats.
Like I said before, I don't think he's around anymore.
Old 03/23/2005, 04:28 PM
Tusken Reefer

...and I was about to move to the UK. Oh well, such is life.
Old 03/25/2005, 02:08 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

wow there hasta be thousands and thousands of dollars in coral in those tanks i wish my pockets were that deep

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 03/26/2005, 04:25 PM
Midnight thread lurker