Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Magnesium recipe very bad for Xenia?

Hi,

I mixed up a batch of Randy's two part and need to boost my Mg a bit. I made the Mg solution using Magnesium chloride (from twopartsolution.com) and Epsom salts. I added 100ml over an hour last night before I went to bed.

This afternoon when I got back from work, my Xenia looks like complete crap. Very shriveled and discolored. The only thing I can attribute it to is the Mg. That's the only thing I've done different lately.

Has any experienced issues like this with the Mg solution? My other corals (mushrooms, green star polyps, zooanthids) are all fine.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 01/04/2008, 08:46 PM
RC Mod

How big was the tank? In general, I wouldn't dose more than 100 ppm per day.

I've dose the solution into tanks with Xenia with no problems, but everyone's setup is a bit different.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:47 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

I have never had any problems. When I dose, I dose a full cup in my tank.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 01/04/2008, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

75 gallon tank with about 10 gallons in the sump.

Andy
Old 01/04/2008, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

I'll only do 100ml aat a time in a 200g set-up.. maybe a bit of shock. most likley they'll come back.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:21 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Maybe you mixed it wrong. 100 ml of Randy's DIY is only an increase of ~ 20 ppm Magnesium in your system.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

I've had this happen to my Xenia - but only with the Anthelia (not the other pulsing type, which I have too). It happens occasionally after a water change. I know everything else is fine as the SPS and LPS corals are all doing great. They come back in a few days. Also, I use to have a few different patches of Xenia and sometimes one patch was fine and the other was all droopy and pale. Xenia is one of those softies that are hard to kill. -Dave
Old 01/05/2008, 07:27 AM
Reef Chemist

What did you use to make the magnesium part?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm gone all day today. Hopefully it will look better when I get home this evening. I'll do a water change tomorrow per my normal schedule.

To make it, I used 3 cups of epsom salts + 5 cups magnesium chloride (from twopartsolutions.com) in a gallon of RO water. It did form more precipitate than I expected but this is the first time I've mixed it. So, the amount may be normal.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01/05/2008, 09:45 AM
Reef Chemist

OK, I just wanted to be sure you didn't use another brand.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Xenia is perking up again.

But, I had five snails just drop for now apparent reason. I kept putting them back up next to the glass and on the rocks and they kept falling back off. This afternoon I noticed all 5 shells are now empty...

Perhaps its just a coincidence but I'm not sure I want to add any more of it to the tank. Either that or I need to dose it way slower.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:24 AM
Reef Chemist

It would be wise for you to at least add it in smaller amounts next time.

If and when you do, let un know if the effect repeats.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Well, just for fun I sent a water sample to Aquariumwatertesting.com. I know there is a thread discussing the validity of their test results but I thought it was interesting that my water tested high for Copper at 0.05 mg/L. I only use RO/DI water. I have PVC plumbing in my house. The only place I can think it may have come from (if it's accurate) is the magnesium solution. Or, I suppose it could be the salt mix I use but I've used the same one for the past 6-8 months and things have been fine.

So, I'm not sure I believe the results. My calcium also tested low at 316 mg/L and alkalinity was 3.12 meq/L. I have a salifert test kit that shows 400 for calcium. I use a Red Sea test kit for alkalinity and it read 1.8 or so. I tested my water myself the day I sent the sample to AWT to compare the two results. Everything else with in agreement between my test kits and AWT.

So, what do you think about the Copper? If it really was 0.05, wouldn't all of my snails be dead and most of corals going south as well? I have a 50% water change schedule for this weekend or early next week (I just normally do this once a year).

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01/11/2008, 08:37 AM
Reef Chemist

Copper builds up in aquariums from many sources, including foods and supplements, and tap water (even if you have PVC pipes, you almost certainly have brass fittings on faucets, etc). I think it rather unlikely it came from one dose of a magnesium supplement.

Might it be impacting the Xenia? Not sure. If you are worried about it, try a polyfilter or cuprisorb for a while.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Interesting. Thanks. I was under the impression that any measurable amount of copper is a reef tank = bad.

So, what do most people do to manage the build up long term? Water changes? Resins? Don't worry about it all?

Andy
Old 01/11/2008, 09:06 AM
Reef Chemist

I was under the impression that any measurable amount of copper is a reef tank = bad.

Generally, that statement applies to kits, which may not accurately detect low levels. My tank, when measured carefully a few years ago, had about 11 ppb of copper, and that is fine (IMO). You are quoting 50 ppb, and if accurate, it may be a concern, but perhaps not. And it may not be accurate.

FWIW, there is not much data to support exactly what copper levels are OK and what are not, and the answer almost certainly depends on what is living in the tank, and other complex factors such as whether the copper is bound to organic compounds (and assuming it is, which compounds).

Most people do not worry about copper aside from not dosing it and using purified water for top off.