Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Mixing Mushroom Colors

I have a nice sized rock covered in purple mushrooms, they are happily multiplying like crazy right now. What i would like to do is mix in some other colors in to this patch of purple. Some red, green and blue ones, like a multi colored mushroom carpet.

Is this possible? will one color dominate the rest? if anyone has done it do you have any pointers?
Old 08/10/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

You can mix and match them with no prob. You can even buy rocks with several different colors on it.
Old 08/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by strayvoltage
You can mix and match them with no prob.

This is not entirely always fact. Tonga shrooms pack a punch and so do hairy shrooms from my experience. I will give a visual example.

This is a tonga type(top left), if any of the rics or other shrooms come in contact with this guy they retract and eventually pick up and move.

This is my hairy shrooms, they treat every coral they come in contact with very bad. I actually had to move these because they were attacking a hydnophora coral. Hydnophora is an extremely agressive SPS coral and these hairy guys OWNED it!

On the other hand i have rics and several different type/color of shrooms that lay on top of each other happily, its just certain ones that you need to watch out for.

Old 08/12/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

I agree with aquarius77, not all mushrooms can be mixed. In my experience, with Rhodactis, Fluffy and Normal smooth morphs, its probably easiest to put the same type next to each other. You can make a carpet, but its going to be tough if its all on one smooth piece of rock. Ive used individuals on small pieces of rubble to place within more rubble creating mixed colours. Any pics?
Old 08/13/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear about that. I should have said no prob with the same types touching each other. It is true some are nasty. I was just going off of the red, green and blue stated that were going to be added.