Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Leaking Bulkhead

Quick question

I have added a bulkhead to a plastic pond which I am using as my ref. The bulkhead is slowly leaking from, what appears to be, the treads connecting both ends of the bulkhead.

Is this because the plastic is not completely rigid and its not allowing the bulkhead to fit properly or do I need to add more teflon tape?
Old 09/28/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, misread your question.

Last edited by GlobaLPimP; 09/28/2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:33 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

You do not need teflon tape on a bulkhead..... This could actually be what is causing the leak.

Also, if the bulkhead was ever overtightened a crack could have formed around the 'neck' of it. This would allow it to leak in the manner you are describing.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

I was told you need to put tape on all treaded parts to that water doesn't come out through them. and bulkheads have treads...

I sincerely hope I have not cracked the bulkhead. That was be pure disaster!
Old 09/28/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Yes,it's hard to tell what could be the problem.
Could be the rubber gasket that seals the bulkhead on the inside of the plastic pond is leaking.And it would appear that the threads are the culprit.Lots of hobbiest just silicone the crap out of it.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking to silicon it as a last resort since I've heard that is a huge no-no. Only problem is that if the leak is from the treads connecting both ends of the bulkhead together its going to be hard to get in there...
Old 09/28/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

I assume you have tried modrate tightening. I've had some sucess with minor leaks using Plumber's Goop.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I didnt use teflon tape on my bulkhead and it leaked and then put teflon tape on the threads and leaking stopped
Old 09/28/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Why wouldn't you put tape on the threads of a bulkhead?
Old 09/28/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

the threads to install a bulkhead should not have water near them in most applications, therefore no teflon tape. Those threads are not designed to hold back water, they are a "running" thread. The water seal on a bulkhead is created by the washer being compressed between the flange side of the bulkhead and the tank. Your leak is either a crack in the bulkhead or an imperfection on either side of the washer.
Old 09/28/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

I agree with asm481. The rubber gaskets on either side of the tank should be preventing water from leaking.

Luckily the 2 bulkheads from my DT drains are not leaking (possibly cracked). That would be an insane amount of work to replace as the piping going down to the sump has all been cemented together.

I'll take another look at it tonight to see if its cracked...
Old 09/28/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Joe, this topic gets a lot of debate and name calling in here. simple fact is there are two types of threads, running and taper. running is just to create tension/tighten and taper is to seal. a Bulkhead would be no good with a taper thread on the outside as it goes on varying thickness of glass and the taper is designed to tighten at a specific number of turns. You can see where a watertight thread on the outside of a bulkhead could mean a very loose attachment to the glass.
Old 09/28/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Would totally suck to have to drain the water and do all that work!

Keep us posted as to your progress - Good Luck!
Old 09/28/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asm481
Thanks Joe, this topic gets a lot of debate and name calling in here. simple fact is there are two types of threads, running and taper. running is just to create tension/tighten and taper is to seal. a Bulkhead would be no good with a taper thread on the outside as it goes on varying thickness of glass and the taper is designed to tighten at a specific number of turns. You can see where a watertight thread on the outside of a bulkhead could mean a very loose attachment to the glass.
Great job explaining it.
Anyways,the whole plastic pond thing has me wondering.
Is there a lot of rounded surfaces there?Maybe the rubber washer is not seating properly against the inside surface.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:00 AM
Where the future begins!

I had a problem with one of my bulkheads leaking when I first installed it. It was because the one drill hole was in a weird spot, so it would push the gasket off center just a bit.

If it's a slow enough leak that you can deal with it, eventually salt will plug the leak and seal it off.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 09/28/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

How would a running thread on a bulkhead cause it to crack? Since the more you tighten is all you are doing is squishing the gaskets even more.

My pond is a 4x2 square and the hole I cut is not near any rounded edges. The leak is only dripping so if salt will cover it up than it is a good possible solution.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

The bulkhead is only plastic. Too much tightening can rip it apart. They usuall will crack in the flange allowing water past the washer and through the "running" threads. That is why most people think the threads are leaking and try to teflon them.

Also possible to have an imperfection in the washer or the flange from manufacture that will create a bump and allow water past.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Update: I had 2 leaking bulkheads both were attached to the plastic ponds. 1 of those stopped leaking but 1 on my display tank has started.

I'm going to drain some water and try to add more tape to it. Not that it will make any difference but its worth a shot. If that fails I will have to try and replace it somehow...