Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Gigs, I am 49. And before I die, and part of my bucket list, I need to know one thing. When you flush your toilet does the water drain clockwise or counter clockwise.
I just checked and here in New York it is counter clockwise

Marty
Old 01/09/2008, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Gigs, I am 49. And before I die, and part of my bucket list, I need to know one thing. When you flush your toilet does the water drain clockwise or counter clockwise.
I just checked and here in New York it is counter clockwise

Marty
sorry to disapoint you mate. But you can strike this one off your list now though.

The Coriolis force (an apparent force as a result of the Earth’s spin) has virtually nothing to do with which direction water spins as it empties down a drain. Water draining from toilets, sinks, and bathtubs are rendered virtually immune from its affects. The Coriolis force is much too weak to have any affect on such small, short-lived rotating bodies of water under normal conditions.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gigs
sorry to disapoint you mate. But you can strike this one off your list now though.

The Coriolis force (an apparent force as a result of the Earth’s spin) has virtually nothing to do with which direction water spins as it empties down a drain. Water draining from toilets, sinks, and bathtubs are rendered virtually immune from its affects. The Coriolis force is much too weak to have any affect on such small, short-lived rotating bodies of water under normal conditions.
So it goes counterclockwise?

Marty
Old 01/09/2008, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Reefmack - Got my RO/DI yesterday and will report to everyone on it's build quality.... Almost ready! Planning to post pix, ala Y-DesignGuy's new lights.
Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing the set up! If you need a place to post pics let me know I am more than happy to help out.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
So it goes counterclockwise?

Marty
Im @ work so i did a few tests for you.

Sink (Oval Shape)- counter clockwise
Toilet - couldnt tell
Male urinal - clockwise
Kitchen Sink (Square shape) - clockwise
RSM - OMG dont wanna know
Old 01/09/2008, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback on Euroreef and Octopus nano skimmers. I am aware that the Tunze 9002 is also an alternative. But it is a very tight fit which with the new magnet installation mechanism requires it be installed too low in the back to fit with the skimmer flap closing. I believe Hodge did an incredibly neatly accomplished mod of cuting a perfect hole in the skimmer flap cover to allow the tunze to be installed at the propper height. With my cutting skills my skimmer cover is going to be mangled for sure. As such, I am waiting for something that fits properly in the skimmer compartment.

Very interested in finding out what anyone hears back from Octopus. Not a lot of information out there on it, and it appears available now. Of the two, the Euroreef looks to me like the better unit in that I think it is rated for more volume, and overall, the company has a bit better reputation for designing skimmers. But Octopus is supposed to put out a pretty good unit at very reasonable prices.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Could this skimmer fit?

I have also read some good things about this Octopus skimmer. Could this fit?

Edit:

Wow, I just decided to edit this post because after doing futher research it appears that a company called Pacific Coast puts out a rather diverse line of skimmers in varying dimensions. See here. It sure looks like one of thse should fit! From what I have read on the web, some good comments on the skimmer which is described as knock offs of Octopus designs. Anyone know about this company or have an opinion on whether which one of these could work for the RSM?

Last edited by Stuart60611; 01/09/2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing the set up! If you need a place to post pics let me know I am more than happy to help out.
Appreciate the offer... Thank You Very Much!

By the way... You posted a local RSM owner that experienced a disaster overnight with cracked glass... I asked about styrofoam under the tank to hopefully prevent the same problem. Any thoughts?

Last edited by NaCl+H2O Fish; 01/10/2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Stuart60611,

The back compartment is approx 3.5" wide. I think you would have to check to find out the overall width including the pump and how deep you can submerge that type of skimmer?? I'm not sure if they are designed to be submerged right up to the cup??

I'm think the answer is to go with a sump in the cabinet and have any skimmer you want. I'm looking into the idea of a custom sump/fuge but would have to move my tank as I've got it too tight to the wall and don't have room for plumbing!!
Old 01/10/2008, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think I am going to order this soon. http://www.aquariumguys.com/eshopps-reef-sump.html
It will fit nicely in the stand and I will be able to get a REAL skimmer working!
Careful with your sump selection! I had my heart set on an Eshopps sump as well, and then checked out the Equipment section of Reefcentral... People that own them generally do NOT like them, and have major complaints with their build. I'd check it out before you buy!
Old 01/10/2008, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Re: Could this skimmer fit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
I have also read some good things about this Octopus skimmer. Could this fit?

Edit:

Wow, I just decided to edit this post because after doing futher research it appears that a company called Pacific Coast puts out a rather diverse line of skimmers in varying dimensions. See here. It sure looks like one of thse should fit! From what I have read on the web, some good comments on the skimmer which is described as knock offs of Octopus designs. Anyone know about this company or have an opinion on whether which one of these could work for the RSM?
The first skimmer is the Octo NW-110. This is what I have in my sump. It will not fit in the back compartment. For that matter none of the Pacific Coast skimmers will either. Their total footprint (including pump) makes them too big. All I can tell you about Pacific Coast as a company is that they are a reseller. A lot of the skimmers listed on the page you provided are Octopus skimmers with the Pacific Coast name on them. Octopus skimmers are good quality "knock-offs" of Euro Reef Skimmers (so are ASM skimmers, although these are not as good as Octos) and others (including ATI and BK now).

HTH
Old 01/10/2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tylt33
Careful with your sump selection! I had my heart set on an Eshopps sump as well, and then checked out the Equipment section of Reefcentral... People that own them generally do NOT like them, and have major complaints with their build. I'd check it out before you buy!
Thanks for letting know I am almost purchased one this week.

NaCl+H2O Fish -- I don't think styrofoam would hurt at all, once you said torsion might of caused it. I thought same thing by looking at it the way it was cracked. Can't wait to see the set up, speed it along already!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:54 AM
Genuine reef addict

My thoughts:

On skimmers you need to consider the base "footprint" of the skimmer - not just the tube diameter. Also, some are designed to work at a certain water level, so it's not always a matter of it just physically fitting in the back. Most of what's currentlly out there has been considered and ruled out because of footprint and/or water submersion levels (and wanting the hood flap to close fully), or because they got terrible reviews, There's a little very low cost Fission skimmer out there that might fit the bill, but they typically get terrible reviews and usually require a lot of mods to get them working well. I'm holding out hope for the new Euroreef, but no information is available yet.

On the styrofoam under the tank - I'm confused as to what the purpose is? To absorb vibrations or ? I can't see it help keep the tank level as I would think it would just eventually become more compressed under the heaviest portion of the tank. I'm not sure what the idea is with regard to torsion?
Old 01/10/2008, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

So since the skimmer is being discussed so much... Mine completely sucks! I haven't had it skim out and into the cup in weeks! My collection cup is as dry as can be and I know there is bio load in the tank. The only thing I haven't done is pull it out and cut the bottom but ive done all the other mods. I find this to be a real let down on the tank as im sure everyone does. I think I am going to go the route of a sump so I can chose from more than just one skimmer to use(Tunze 9002 nano).

So ive been doing 5 gallon water changes about every 3-5 days since the skimmer blows!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Thanks again for all the replies on the skimmer information I posted. It looks like the sole option that works now is the Tunze, although not optimally. I just we can hope and wait for the Euroreef. Hodge, keep me posted on your fudge progress. I too would love to add one, but share the same problem you have in that I only left a couple inches between the tank and wall. I also have not found a easy and viable overflow option. I know Lpsluver created a custom overflow, but it is beyond my DIY skills, and I uncomfortable with doing this and risking a flood.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
So since the skimmer is being discussed so much... Mine completely sucks! I haven't had it skim out and into the cup in weeks! My collection cup is as dry as can be and I know there is bio load in the tank. The only thing I haven't done is pull it out and cut the bottom but ive done all the other mods. I find this to be a real let down on the tank as im sure everyone does. I think I am going to go the route of a sump so I can chose from more than just one skimmer to use(Tunze 9002 nano).

So ive been doing 5 gallon water changes about every 3-5 days since the skimmer blows!
I feel your pain. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt
This is exactly why I have a sump/fuge and run the Octopus NW-110. It pull out some nasty merde.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
I too would love to add one, but share the same problem you have in that I only left a couple inches between the tank and wall. I also have not found a easy and viable overflow option. I know Lpsluver created a custom overflow, but it is beyond my DIY skills, and I uncomfortable with doing this and risking a flood.
Do I need to start a DIY custom, compact overflow business?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

wow i never knew that this tank would be THIS popular
Old 01/10/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Lpsluver:

Should you choose to start a compact custom overflow business, you have your first customer here.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lpsluver
Do I need to start a DIY custom, compact overflow business?
yes yes you do!

I would love to know more on what you did. I for some reason did not think I would be going the route of a sump when I set the tank up. I have about 2 5/8" to work with from the tank to the wall. I could always drain most the water out and into a big garbage tub and slide it. I do have it on bamboo floors and I put felt pads under the stands HARD plastic nub things. So I am assuming I could drain it and slide it a little to fit something. But I see your over flow looks small and compact, so I would love to know more! Shoot you build it I will buy it and pay for shipping!

Thanks!
Old 01/10/2008, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

My tank is as close or closer to the wall as yours. This is why the overflow is perfect for my application. Since I made it out of 3/4" Sch40 PVC it needs a max of no more than 2 inches of clearance.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of doing lpslovers overflow and looking for a fuge, please give your input on this one http://cgi.ebay.com/75-Gallon-Aquari...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01/10/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

So how much

Seriously if you wanted to make a little extra cash I would be more than happy to pay for your time, materials and shipping.

No worries though, I know that is asking a lot!

Old 01/10/2008, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Lpsluver:

If it makes any difference, I too woudl be willing to pay for your overflow.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Y-DesygnGuy, Stuart60611...I guess I wasn't kidding about doing this for you guys but at this point we have to handle discussions through e-mail or PM's. I'd hate to P---off the mods talking anything that even remotely resembles business.

reefers4me...the sump design itself looks sound enough but I think everything with it is a POS. I would see if you get get the sump all by itself but for a lot less than $200. Personally, I would not pay more than $75 to $100 including shipping.