Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2006, 12:08 AM
Moved On

Red or Yellow florida rics?

Has any1 ever seen a real red florida ricorida? My friend had one but it ended up not making it. It was awesome. I just got a yellow one and it is doing great. How rare are these?
Old 05/26/2006, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

I have never seen a red ric florida in person. I suppose they exist, I just haven't seen one. If someone has one let me know I bet its awsome!
Old 05/26/2006, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

I've seen gold w/green outer ring, but never a solid yellow, I would assume they are fairly rare.
Old 05/26/2006, 08:14 PM
Registered Member.

From what I understand this info was coming from a large supplier of Florida ricordea, that there is no real such thing as a true red ricordea just a different color form of orange, and there is no true yellow in the sense of canary yellow or like likeness of the range of colors in yellow. If you see one that looks yellow most likely it is a bleached green ricordea, which the true color may or may not come back. All I can say is in the 22 years of reefing I have never seen a Florida ricordea that I said "Damn that's red or WOW that's yellow". That's also not to say I couldn't be wrong I have just never seen it or have anybody that is in the "know" tell me they have seen them.
Old 05/30/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Azurel is 100% correct.

Bryan
Old 05/31/2006, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Bad pics, but it is yellow

Old 06/01/2006, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Slightly better pic

Old 06/01/2006, 09:08 PM
Waste Management

Different shades of Orange hummm are these both shades of orange lets take a vote. There are more color morphs out there than most people think not just orange, green & blue.

Old 06/01/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member.

Looks like photo-shop to me or deceptive lighting.....If not I want some of those pink and white ones.......Although the orange and green would be sweet too. Like I said in my post I could be wrong too, I don't have first hand experience diving for them....I would have to see it first hand in my tank...
Old 06/01/2006, 10:47 PM
Waste Management

No photo-shop, no deceptive lighting just Hatian ricordia. Sorry I don't think you'll see these in your tank anytime soon.
Old 06/01/2006, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

http://www.ricordeas.net/index1.htm
Old 06/02/2006, 08:00 AM
Registered Member.

michaelm2431,
When you put 20k MH lighting and supplement that with URI super actinic's you will get false colors like in that site...You can do the same thing with zoanthids. That doesn't make the color true....

Quote:
Sorry I don't think you'll see these in your tank anytime soon.
Is that supposed to be a snide comment? Or you just saying you have the only ones around.....Type can be taken many ways, and I just want to be clear.....So I will clear my statement also I wasn't accusing you of being deceptive but when one looks at that picture the first thing they will say is "It looks fake". Especially when you(not you personally) deal with false lighting all the time with zoanthids and photoshoped colors of corals. I tend to be skeptical of overtly vivid colors that seem unreal and to true to believe. If you really have Ricordeas that look like that in true daylight spectrum color and not enhanced color then you really have something there.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:24 AM
Waste Management

Not trying to be snide but when someone replies to a post with " Looks like photo-shop to me or deceptive lighting" you probably should expect it (seeing how you are attacking that persons credability). I'm not posting this to start any arguments. There are a few landlocked people who only see a very select color arrangement of ricordia. I am luck enough to live in Florida & dive the waters around here (So i might see a few more things that the people who live in the mid-west will never see. If you you chose to believe that blue, green & orange are the only colors ricordia come in, God bless you I respect your opinion.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:30 AM
Registered Member.

I could have worded it better I guess.....I wasn't trying to start a argument either.....That's cool, so do these types of colors you showed ever make it into the hobby or are they just selective captures?....If you know what I mean.....Do they get sucked up by those whom collect them and get handed and sold to select people?
Old 06/02/2006, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Azurel. You're right about lighting. I bought a red from this place last year. Before I bought it, I asked them to send me a pic. in daylight. They did, and I was happy.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:44 AM
Waste Management

Azurel the Hatian ricordia seem to come in some crazy color morphs more so than the regular Atlantic ricordia. I'm convinced they may even be a sub-species as Hatian ricordia is so much different that the norm. For instance the fringe on the Hatian stuff can be brown, green or that mustard color also they a sometimes tri-color like the ones in the pics.
Old 06/02/2006, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

I have to aggree with DonavonsReef. I also live in FL and have seen many colors. It is just the green, orange and blue are the most common. But I must admit in all my years in the hobby, i have never seen anything like those. I have a pink yuma but that is from Tonga, I am yet to see a true pink FL ricordia. In pictures they look pink but in person they look kinda orange. Once again there are so many colors out there someone is bound to stumble across something special at some point. Just look at all the colors in the British chaps thread, think his name is Wady.
Old 06/02/2006, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

This stuff kills me. "There are a few landlocked people who only see a very select color arrangement of ricordia. I am luck enough to live in Florida & dive the waters around here (So i might see a few more things that the people who live in the mid-west will never see."

Next time you are diving take us a photo. Or should I just tell you to say hi to Victor, Bruce, Bob and Marcus the next time you are in Miami picking out your ricordia.

The Reef Raft photos are shopped. No ifs ands or buts. Funny that the photos are from a supplier in Canada. I am sure they get it right from the diver in Haiti when he returns to the dock.

You can do anything with a photo.

Bryan
Old 06/02/2006, 10:23 AM
Waste Management

I would love to argue with King Bryan, god knows he is never wrong. Just because he can't get those color dosen't mean they don't exist, they do he just never gets them
Old 06/02/2006, 10:39 AM
Waste Management

One more thing Bryan I showed Victor those reefraft pics he happens to be a good friend of mine & he has seen those colors. Don't know, maybe you see thousands of ricordia a week like he does. Better get Call him up and ask him.
Old 06/02/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Donovan,

We will just have to agree to disagree. We both have very strong feelings on the subject and I don’t think either of us is going to waiver. Most people have differing opinions on what color something is and I try not to put color tags on ricordia for this exact reason.

My philosophy has always been to buy a fish or coral because you like it and not because it is a rare color. I will end it at that and extend to you the olive branch since this is probably not the forum to air our differences.

Bryan
Old 06/02/2006, 05:29 PM
Waste Management

Agreed, everyone has an opinion that does not make it right or wrong just a point of view. If you like it and it makes you happy thats all that matter. Bryan I do respect your opinion & everyone elses this world would be pretty boring without them. (How does it go, you say tomato I say tomatoe).
No hard fealings
Old 06/03/2006, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

Red Rics do exist

I've got 3 of them.....
Old 06/03/2006, 08:50 AM
Waste Management

Those are Yumas.
Old 06/03/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Oops!

Sorry I didn't see the ricordia FLORIDA specification....