Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 03/11/2007, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Is St. Thomas Ricordea a mushroom, or an Anemone

I have seen mushrooms are called disc anemones, but is St. Thomas Ricordea actually an Anemone? What are the lighting requirements for this animal (St. Thomas Ricordea)?
Does anybody know of a link where I can find information on St. Thomas Ricordea?
Old 03/11/2007, 05:36 PM
Moved On

St. Thomas (Rhodactis sanctithomae) is not a true anemone, though they are closely related, just like ricordia. Its care is the same as ricordia or any other mushroom. Light, feeding requirements are basically the same. Hope this helps.
If you mean FL ricordia, that is a different type than the St. Thomas and if you found something calling a coral St. Thomas Ricordia, then it is probably a ricordia forund in St. Thomas waters, but not a true name for the St. Thomas false coral rhodactis, but as with pretty much all animals in the pet trade from reptiles to fish, names vary per location that's why scientific names finalize the species so there can be no confusion.

Last edited by FLricordia; 03/11/2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03/11/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Yes it does FLricordia. Thank you. I picked up maybe 6, or more Rics today. The St. Thomas was one, and I picked up about 5 last weekend of the purple Florida Rics. I bought some other shrooms today too. Some of them are unknown, and were sold to me as "unique" mushrooms. They are not Rics. I might try to track them down for a name ID.
Old 03/11/2007, 06:19 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hrdneglcry
Yes it does FLricordia. Thank you. I picked up maybe 6, or more Rics today. The St. Thomas was one, and I picked up about 5 last weekend of the purple Florida Rics. I bought some other shrooms today too. Some of them are unknown, and were sold to me as "unique" mushrooms. They are not Rics. I might try to track them down for a name ID.
Can you post some pics of the corals you got? The St. Thomas esp. What color is it? Greenish/purple? I have never seen them for sale locally.
There are some users here that might be able to help you ID the unknown shrooms if you can post pics of them also.
Old 03/11/2007, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Talking St. Thomas Ricordea

The St. Thomas Ricordea does not look like much right now. It is mostly purple. I do not really know what it is supposed to look like, but it looked like this when I bought it today. I think that the seller said that it is beautiful, and will become more so. It is the main focus as this video starts, and I tried to focus on it a few times after I panned around. The camera does not pick up the colors as well as they they are to be seen by the naked eye. But here is the video.

Last edited by hrdneglcry; 03/11/2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03/11/2007, 08:26 PM
Moved On

Hard to tell with the shaky video, but looks more like rhodactis sanctithomae than FL ricordia. So instead of calling it St. Thomas ricordia, which it really isn't (ricordias of the Caribbean and FL are called FL ricordias) I could be wrong, but I think it is more aptly called St. Thomas false coral or rhodactis. But there again, what one person calls something isn't always what another calls the same thing. In any case, it is not a ricordia.
Nice group BTW.
Old 03/11/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Thank you. I'm gald you like it. Where can I find a PIC of St. Thomas Ricordea?

Last edited by hrdneglcry; 03/11/2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03/11/2007, 09:27 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Thank you. I'm gald you like it. Where can I find a PIC of St. Thomas Ricordea?
Never really heard of it before. Guess I am getting confused. Is this like what you have? This is not a ricordia. It is Rhodactis sanctithomae, St. Thomas false coral. There is no St. Thomas ricordia. There are ricordia there, but they are the same as Fl ricordia. There are 2 kinds of ricordia, FL and yuma from Indo-pacific.

Old 03/11/2007, 11:39 PM
Geek

I love these. I am tempted to get more of them except I just bought a 125g from a local reefer that will get here sometime soon.. Now I need to come up with plans for it.

I think 500 of those mushrooms should be a good plan eh? Hey a girl can dream
Old 03/12/2007, 01:42 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
I love these. I am tempted to get more of them except I just bought a 125g from a local reefer that will get here sometime soon.. Now I need to come up with plans for it.

I think 500 of those mushrooms should be a good plan eh? Hey a girl can dream
What are you thinking about? Soft, sps, lps, little of both? No idea yet?
Old 03/12/2007, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Yes, mine looks like that. Maybe the reason I cannot find a PIC of it is that it does not exist. Mine looks just like the PIC, but mine is purple.
Old 03/12/2007, 09:53 AM
Geek

I've had one that was blue that didn't quite make it through shipping, one that looks just like the one in the pic, and i have this one too that.. i think is a form of sanctithomae

It's tentacles are more of a mix of bubbles with forks on the end rather than the big bubblesli ke my green- which looks just like the pic above

And FLricordia? Well, it'll be my new playground and i have no idea what yet! It'll be large enough to keep some of the bigger cool fish that I won't cram in my 55 so I definitely want to have that for an option.. but who knows what to put in thre coral wise. I'll get to learn how to install a retrofit kit too. I just have to save for the next few paychecks after I pay this off to afford sand and i'm thinking to cut cost i'll try to find some base or try DIY rock
Old 03/12/2007, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Rhodactis

So is the Rhodactis a pretty mushroom?
Old 03/12/2007, 03:11 PM
Geek

I like the ones above - and other rhodactis but I think I look more at the color\oversall shape as a package on the individual mushroom rather than classifying a whole species but thats just me
Old 03/13/2007, 09:13 PM
Moved On

Re: Rhodactis

Quote:
So is the Rhodactis a pretty mushroom?
To some yes, to some no. WHAT DO YOU THINK? That's all that matters.
Old 03/14/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

I like it I guess. As long as it does not die. Then it turns ugly LOL! Thank you all for the ID help. Glad to know what this actually is.
Old 03/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

I found this on the St. Thomas false Ricordea. This article says that it is sometimes mistaken for Rhodactis, but is actually more closely related to other Carribean Discosoma species. Anyway, I took mine out of the tank for a photo. It is pretty big. It looks much better underwater. There is also a photo in the article at the following link.

http://www.coralite.net/saintthomas.html

Last edited by hrdneglcry; 03/16/2007 at 10:51 AM.