Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2005, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Will my tank go through a cycle?

I will be upgrading from my 75 to a 150 sometime next week and I was wondering if I will go through a cycle or not. I will be using the same rock that I curently have and I will be using a couple of rocks that have been out of the water for some time now. I will also be using the same sand that was in the 75 along with some more dry sand.

I was thinking that since I wouldn't really have any die off that I wouldn't have to worry about my tank going through a cycle. If I am wrong could someone please let me know.

Thanks

James
Old 08/12/2005, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I went from a 55 to a 125. I planned on using my old sand, but it was so nasty I went with a few bags of live sand. Same rock, added more live and some dry base. No cycle whatsoever. Not even a small rise in Ammonia.
Old 08/12/2005, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I agree that if your old tank has been set up for a while, I'd use a base of new sand and only use the top 1" or so of your old sand. Since it seems to be getting pretty clear that a DSB (assuming that is what you have) only lasts for a finite period, why not take the chance to change it when your moving.

That being said, you should get a small cycle but keep an eye on it and do a water change or two if the levels start to rise. It shouldn't be a large problem, but I'd have water made. IMHO
Old 08/12/2005, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Thats what I was planning on doing. I was planning on setting up the tank with 150 gallons of water and then take some out to do a water change with as I put the rock and corals in the tank.

Thanks for the input
Old 08/13/2005, 06:00 AM
Go Sooners!

I went from a 55 to a 125 and had no cycle of any kind. We used the same rocks , same water and even the same sand because we didn't have enought for the bigger tank.
Old 08/13/2005, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

That's right Jen (or Kerry) I forgot we upgraded abround the same time and did almost the same thing!
Old 08/13/2005, 10:08 AM
Go Sooners!

It's Kerry