Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

salinity 1.030+

I haven't done a water change in about 6 weeks, just topping off with distilled.

I just installed my new RO/DI unit and am filling my new Brute trash can to mix salt water in. So my questions are:

1. How much Reef Crystal do I mix with 20 gallons of RO/DI?

2. Should I shoot for a low salinity (1.020?) and do a water change with that?

3. How badly will this affect my mixed reef?

65gal
softies and birds nest - all happy
2 clowns, 2 cardinals, 2 royal grammas, 1 blenny - all happy
clean up crew - snails disappearing, emerald crabs happy

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
phosphate 0
kh 4 = 71.6
calcium 18 = 360
pH 8.2

I'm assuming that a 20 gallon water change will bring calcium and KH up and salinity down.

Thanx for your help!

Rae
It's 8:30, kids. Turn off the tank and go to bed!
Old 11/12/2007, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

1. 1/2 cup per gallon = 10 cups

2. why would you shoot for low salinity? 1.025 - 1.026 would be ideal.

3. its a rather large water change for a 65g so i would heat up the water to the same temperature and you're good to go.

btw...what is the salinity\sg in your tank right now?
edit: nevermind i see its 1.030...lower it gradually...not all at once..over a weeks..not days..
Old 11/12/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

That is really high, you have to bring it down somewhat gradually but yes I would definitely start with a water change.
I don't know if you are planning on keeping corals or what kinds but I would shoot for a PH around 1.025. If just fish then you can have a lower SG.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

If my math is right (LOL), I think the resulting SG will be around 1.0266. That isn't taking into account any water displacement really, so it will probably drop much more.

Therefore, that is more than a 0.003 drop very quickly. It might be fine, but if it were me I would do a smaller water change, like 10 gallons, and bring in down more slowly.

JMO

Best wishes,

Prayer is Protein Skimming for the Soul
Old 11/12/2007, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

I am curious as to why your salinity is at 1.030 if you have been doing water top ups with only r/o water.
What are you using to measure the salinity. I would suggest you buy a refractometer---great for easy of use and less variables to affect your reading with a hydrometer.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I woulod ask the same thing, What are you measuring the SG with. Mabe get another opinion before you make adjustments. Mabe your LFS Can help you out or a fellow hobbiest. If you do need to make changes shoot for around 1.025(6) and go slowly. A series of smaller water changes done over several days.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

The way that I just lowered my salinity and have been is when I do water changes just *** ro/di water instead of salt water. In my 120gal i do 10 gallons every other week. I am at 1.026 now was at 1.027 last time I did a change. seems to be working well with no bad affects on the fish. HTH
Old 11/12/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Yay! I bought a new hydrometer and it reads 1.0235 for salinity! (thanx folks!)

I was also wondering how the salinity would creep up if I was only topping with RO water. So the water change shouldn't affect the salinity because I'll just match that. And the fresh mix will replace the calcium and increase the alkalinity.

My husband has a refractometer he uses for testing the water in the batteries of our electric truck. Would that work for testing the salt water in the tank? After a good wash, of course.

Rae
It's 8:30, kids. Turn off the tank and go to bed!
Old 11/12/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

I dropped mine from 1.032 to 1.025 in two days, 30 gallon tank and no one minded. Don't know if I would have risked that with sps though.
Old 11/12/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

For some reason over the course of the week when I top off my aquarium my SG tends to go up a little.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by out
Yay! I bought a new hydrometer and it reads 1.0235 for salinity! (thanx folks!)

I was also wondering how the salinity would creep up if I was only topping with RO water. So the water change shouldn't affect the salinity because I'll just match that. And the fresh mix will replace the calcium and increase the alkalinity.

My husband has a refractometer he uses for testing the water in the batteries of our electric truck. Would that work for testing the salt water in the tank? After a good wash, of course.

Rae
I congratulate you on first checking this out before making changes--good reefing and good science

I would think that a standard hand held refractometer would be good for all liquids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditi..._refractometer
Old 11/12/2007, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer07
For some reason over the course of the week when I top off my aquarium my SG tends to go up a little.
if you let the level of water go down before topping up then it will increase the salt concentration a bit.
Try taking the salinity before a top up and after an hr after a top up