Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

My friend just got a shark and isnt sure what temp to keep it at

I sold my friend my old 200gallon tank and he went to the store and bought a shark. He said it was a gray shark but I cant find any info on gray sharks that seem to fit the bill. I have much more experience than him, even though I have never cared for a SHARK, and now he is asking me what temperature to keep it at and I really have no clue. Does anyone know where I could do some research on sharks and try to help him out before it dies.
Old 09/12/2006, 12:08 AM
Moved On

There are some sharks with the gray shark name, for if it be one name as Gray Smoothhound and grows as large as about 45-50" making your friends tank too small for as well, if it is the large growing gray shark, it needs a real huge shark pond and not in any home aquarium.

Bottom suggestion in this is too return the shark right away
Old 09/12/2006, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

going to need much more info than "gray shark" that is a pretty generic term and to my knowledge there isnt one inthe trade that is sold under that name.
try to find a copy of Scott's book shark's and rays. it is the best source for the home aquarist. while not all of it's info is foolproof it still gives avery good idea of what is needed.
Old 09/12/2006, 08:11 AM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah defitnetly need the species of the shark
Old 09/12/2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully it isn't a Gray Reef Shark!
Old 09/12/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

the shark is about 20 inches, is slender and looks like a a gray reef shark from what I have looked up. I told him that the shark will need much more space and he said he was planning on making some type of pond but I doubt he will do anything anytime soon. I am going back over there tonight to check parameters and attempt to get this guy to eat. From what I remember, the shark is white on the bottom with a standard shark gray on top. its caudal fin is more elongated like a thresher or nurse than a great white. I dont really have access to that book but I will mention it to my friend and he probably will pick it up. Any info at this point would help, I am really a newbie with sharks. This afternoon we will try feeding it some anchovies. Ill keep whoever is interested updated.
Old 09/12/2006, 06:53 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah keep us updated if he eats
Old 09/12/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

sounds like a grey smoothhound to me. does it look like the pic? the smoothhound is a coldwater fish. keep it under 65 until you can find it a proper home. these guys get big.
Old 09/12/2006, 11:23 PM
Moved On

I Typed it wrong again for I only the common name with a small mistake as I spelled gray instead of grey. Anyway, I believe this type of shark is in warn and cooler waters (both) Or is that another misunderstanding I have?
Old 09/12/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Smoothhounds can come from 70-73 degree waters on the coast of California and kept at that temp up to 75 if done over the course of days........they eat thawed shrimp easily but their **** will drop the ph really quick. They also require more room to turn, not the brightest shark in the world....bump their noses off.
Old 09/12/2006, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

75 that is what I meant to say. I am such an idiot. it's getting late. I am going to bed
Old 09/13/2006, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

If it is a Grey Reef Shark it will grow to SEVERAL feet. You might to get clarification on what it is. Get a picture of it ASAP.
Old 09/13/2006, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of my grey smoothhound, he's in a 500gallon, he is just over 15" and doing great. So far no nose problems, constantly swimming around in between my rock structures. They due need to be kept in water temp. under 76F can have been known to be kept in up to 78-79 without much problems, but under 76f is advised. They grow to about 3-4 feet on average in the wild, approx 3 ft in an aquarium setting and average lifespan of 9-10 years.

Old 09/13/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

I think your friend

I think your friend should have done more research before taking on a shark with only limited experience.He can also try www.sharksondemand.com ..See if he sees his shark there and then he can begin some research on the type of shark he has.
Old 09/13/2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but bigred16, can you give some details on your tank?
Old 09/13/2006, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

could it be a large banded cat shark that changed colors?
Old 09/13/2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the belated response and as most of you guessed it the shark is a grey smoothhound. The shark ate immediately and was doing very well last night. It is very active and really a cool looking shark. His temp is at 78 so next time i talk to my friend I will have him fix that. He doesnt seem interested in getting rid of it even against my suggestion and is thinking of adding other aggresive fish such as eels and rays into the tank. Anyone know what will be suitable with the shark.
PS as of last night he had a yellow and blue tang in the tank with him and the shark had not yet attacked them.
Old 09/13/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blfuller123
Sorry to hijack the thread, but bigred16, can you give some details on your tank?
The tank is 8x3x3 which is 500gallons, it has about 225lbs of live, 2" sand bed and 2 protein skimmers with ozone split to both of them. I have a 1/4" glass lid to hold the occupants in, I once made a mistake in leaving an opening and the shark escaped, lucky I was in the room when it happen. I have had the shark for just over 3 months, here's a pic of the tank taken about a year ago

bryang6286 - If the other fish are larger, you probably have to worry about them stressing the shark instead of the shark attacking them, I had to take out a niger trigger who was very passive, a 200gallon is too small for a grey
Old 09/14/2006, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Not to try and overly stress what others have mentioned... but 200 gallons truely is to small for this fish. He is thinking of adding other fish?!?!?!

That tank is already to small for that shark, it would be ill advised to add other fish to that tank until the shark has been taken care of.
Old 09/25/2006, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

I realize this topic is a bit old - but I had to repond.

Gray Smoothhounds are generally temperate water shark - 60-75F.

And will require either a pool that's at least 10' diameter or a pond that's at least 14' long x 6' wide for an adult.
Old 09/25/2006, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

i would definitely not add an eel or a ray at this point. the shark when he gets large enough will chomp em in half. or it could be the other way around and the ray and eel will stress it to death. just out of curiosity what type of substrate does he have at the bottom of the tank. sharks have really sensitive stomachs and any kind of rocky/rough substrate will scratch thier stomachs.
Old 09/25/2006, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Well - the substrate looks to be sand(possibly beach).

But I agree - not rays or eels.

The 500 may be fine until he reachs about 2' long - then it's time to move him to larger tank/pond.