Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

setting up new 26 bow

Ok I have about half of what I need to set up the new tank but I'm not sure on if I should do a deep sand bed. I have read both sides of the issue but only from books and I was looking for real life answer. I know this is a popular question and I'm sorry for that. But anyways I am going to do a 26 gallon AGA bow front with a coralife skimmer (free) with a 380 watt metal halide fixture (250 halide 2X 65 pc). Filter going to have a sump and a rena xp3. Other than the DSB question I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me with circulation in the tank I can not get the current right in any other saltwater tank I have tried. Any help on my two issues will be of great help.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

maybe try a remote deep sand bed, like a deep bucket or sump fed off the sump with low flow and a deep sand bed in it. THat way if you have a problem you dont have to tear down the whole tank.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

As for a DSB, if you asked a year ago I would have said go DSB. But I think they work like a filter, after a certain amount of time they get filled kinda like a filter needs to be changed. In about 3 years is when they tend to get filled. I had a 3-8 inch bed in my tank and it did great for 3 years then my nitrates started to creep up. I suggest using sand but dont go too deep just use a few inches. You can always take it out and change it.

I have a 26 bow and I think that light you are planing to put on it is pretty bright I am not sure that I would use a 250 over a 26? Some might? What corals are you looking to get/grow? LPS/SPS/SOFTIES?

For you flow it depend what you are planing to put in it. I use a an MJ 1200 in my tank, that's it... I also have an Whisper 3 on it that it run carbon through. This it plenty of flow. I have the MJ on high up on one side and have it crash into the front of the glass.
Good Luck..
Old 12/22/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

I am looking to do lps sps zoo's and a rose bubble tip. I plan on hanging the fixture about 8 inches above the tank. thanks for both of your comments. I'll post pics as I go.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

Not sure what fixture you are using for the light but it will probably throw alot of heat so be carefull it does not over heat. Does it have fans?
Old 12/23/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

It has two small fans built in but I was also going to have one or two clip on fans to help with the heat.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

You will probably need them. Plan on loosing a gallon a day out of that tank.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Herpn do you have any pics of your 26 bow front?
Old 12/26/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

How did I know you would ask? I just switched all my pics from Sony Imagestation over to Shutterfly and have not figured out how to post pics from there yet. I need to take some time and figure it out. I should say that although my tanks looks pretty good I use it as a QT for my other tanks.. I have a Clamp on 150 watt MH on it and so far I have been very happy. I could not imagine having 300 watts over it! Heat/Electric etc.. If you can keep the heat down it may be fine, but alot of softies like my mushroom dont oven up that much when they are under bright lights. I you were doing just SPS I could see using that much light. Just keep in mind that the light you are looking to use produces a ton of heat. Not you will have to use extra fans to keep it cool. I personally would rather not have extra fans on my tank.
Using that much light you will have to keep the bulb pretty far away from your water. 9 - 12 inches?? So by moving it that far away you are loosing par. Now with my 150 watt, I have it about 4 inches from the water. Less $$ less heat. Also factor in the fans and evaporation.
I will try to figure out how to post pics here from my new photo storage place...
Old 12/26/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

I can E-mail you an album. I am not sure if I can post them I think I have to upload to photobucket or imageshack..
Old 12/27/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Do you think it would be better to go with the current t-5 fixture than the halide? I have been thinking about going that way but wasn't sure.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Halide VS T-5...

I have both and get equally good growth from both. The T5's are great but the MH feels more alive to me. Over my 75 I use T5's but over the 26 I use MH. The 75 looks great and has my best corals in it and my 25 is like my quarantine tank. The shimmer steps it up a notch. Makes your corals look more alive.

I just sent you pics..