Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2006, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Reef Aquarium

I went by Reef Aquarium to buy some fish and food and i spoke to the owner about the the club. He has agreed to give all club members a 10% off like Reef Life does. I go there alot since they are the closest store to my house and i like his store better than exotic across the street.

He has been getting some better corals and fish lately aswell so feel free to passby and check it out.
Old 11/18/2006, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

That was nice of you and them. I will have to go by and see the store.
Old 11/18/2006, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

I was there this morning one thing i like is that the price of each coral is on the glass, many lfs show the price of there fishes but corals you have to ask how much is it, like if we are in 3rd world country street bazaar.
Old 11/18/2006, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Yeah it is very nice for my since i got the discount that same day on my anthia and Valamigi tang purchase . He is also known for his custom tanks which i like more than the one exotic makes but i think they are more $$.
Old 11/18/2006, 06:24 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I whent by the store reef aquarium's and the owner build me a custum 600 gallon tank, the tank came out looking extrodrinary with the silicon work looking like the real thing you cant tell the difference, in the weeks of me going i took a look at their life stock and their corals IMO look beter than any lfs around the area and not to mention cheaper, another bonus to this store is the owner will finance for you with zero intrest, i give this place two thumbs up.
Old 11/18/2006, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

anyone got the address? across the street from exotic aquatic?
Old 11/18/2006, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Yeah its right across from exotic i belive, on bird road and 73 ave or something, i know is right across from exotic.
Old 11/19/2006, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

That must not be Exotic Aquatic y'all are referring to, as it is on Oakland Park Blvd. I'm guessing Miami, considering the Bird Road reference.
Old 11/19/2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

yeah its in front of exotic aquariums in miami.
Old 11/19/2006, 09:25 PM
TANK RAIDER!

any specific address please!TYVM
Old 11/19/2006, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

7390 Bird Rd
Old 11/20/2006, 07:12 AM
TANK RAIDER!

TYVM
Old 11/20/2006, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

The owners name is Henry. He's a real nice guy. He has a good selection of coral and fish.
Old 11/20/2006, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Yeah i like the guy. He has been helpful in the past and 10% helps out aswell
Old 11/20/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

another +1 for henry and his shop.. he has a bit of an algae problem sometimes in his coral display, but nothing those of us with healthy reefs cant handle. 10% is awesome, and i have seen him finance for 0% many times while roaming the shop. Most of the time he gives me my water for free because i never carry cash and then i just pay for like 3 weeks of water at once on my debit card... which ive always thought was really cool of him
Old 11/22/2006, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

One of Henry's employees is a new FMAS member I brought in to the last meeting. His name is Jorge, cool kid.
Old 11/22/2006, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Reef Aquariums (General info.)

I've been doing this hobby for a while now, and I can tell you this store is the best out of all the others on Bird road, as well as most others in Miami. Reef Aquariums is the best not just because of the new 10% discount on being a member of this site, but because we're talking about high quality fish, and corals at low prices. He has a wide variety for sale from basic yellow tangs to the rare Garibaldi damsel fish. He also gives great customer service being very friendly, too.
Old 11/22/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

I'll definitely give another thumbs up for Henry. to many places in Miami seem to be more interested in the $$$ than a long term relation with their customers. I have already heard from 3 different other places is "ich is nothing..goes away in 2 days". With responses like that makes it the last time I visit that lfs. Another great LFS with quality fish almost 100% of the time has been aquarimart on us1 about a block away from sunset place. He definitely has the best eel selection I have seen also in Miami.
Old 11/22/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

The OTHER stores on bird road.

Ive also been to a bunch of other stores on Bird road as well. Strictly, Amazing, and Exotic all suck as saltwater stores. Heres why I dont go to them.

Strictly Fish- They sold me live rock that was suposedly cured, and the very next day my whole tank was infested with worms of every type found in the ocean! Including a 12 inch long Bristel worm. There water quality is low, but there prices are high, and there customer service could use some some improvement. They also dont have a very good selection of corals.

Amazing Aquariums- This store is just on the other side of the fence from Strictly. There competitors to eachother and as a result have the same high prices. There water quality is slightly better, but they have a fewer selection of fish and coral cosidering the other half of the store deals with freshwater. I went there one day and saw a 2 ft. long dead Nurse Shark in the back tank with a stressed out slightly smaller horned shark. I came by 3 days later to find the same dead shark was still in the tank. I was told the horned was sold.

Exotic Aquariums- This store is just across the street from Reef. There water quality is the poorest Ive seen of all. It was like a light gray color, last time I was there, and each tank had at least one dead fish in it. There prices are a little better than Strictly and Amazing. There worst problem isnt even bad water quality though...Its Extremley bad Customer Service. I waited there for a full 20 min. before someone attended to me and they had 5 people running the store. One of which was just flirting away with some chick all day. I also asked if they knew where Reef Aquariums was before when he had moved to that location just across the street. They said he was no longer in buisness.
Old 11/25/2006, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Great shop.. I have bought all I need there... My tank has cycled extremely well,

thanks to Reef Aquarium..

The others on Bird Rd. , won't go there..

also the 10 % is nice..

Recommended
Old 11/25/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

i must have went on three bad days, because when i was there i didn't see much i liked. but i'll give him another chance. and the algae is a problem and i avoid stores w/ algae problems in tanks w/ nothing but corals.
Old 11/26/2006, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 90% of LFS' suck altogether. None of them have great water quality, and I've never seen one that has truly impressed me. Apparantly reef life is one of the better, but I have yet to make it up to Broward.

Atlantis Aquarium on US1 & 143 is decent sometimes, but too farfor me to get to on a regular basis. I'll give them one thing though, their 1300 gallon display tank is impressive. Atleast the size and some of it's inhabitants.

The best place to get corals & fish is from FMAS members and trading with the local community. The best place to get dry goods is online.

Getting water?? Why? The NSW all the stores sells sucks. I switched from NSW that I was using for WC's to mixing my own salt with Tropic Marin Proreef and RODI and my tank has taken a huge turn for the better. Everything was fine before but now it seems coral growth has taken off!
Old 11/26/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

I agree fmas members are a great place to find specific things you are looking for, for the most part you are buying from knowledgeable individuals that care for there corals because they are corals that are from there tank.

when i set up my 90 gal sps tank i know that i can bring a coupel hundred bucks to a fmas meeting and come away w/ enough frags to fill half the tank.