Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flint&Eric
[B]they do use the same injection technology, but it's like using a becket for a HOB....just not logical for a small scale particularly when the pump is sitting inside the tank. as gph lowers, air input lowers by even more...

Not logical for a nano stand alone where you have to put the pump in the tank. Not every HOB buyer is in the same boat. I'd also argue the beckett reference but it would be a waste of time but suffice it to say that you dont need beckett sized pumps to run these venturi skimmers ...
The bio balls are a bad idea and will keep the skimmer from ever being popular.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:05 AM
g l a s s b o x

set it to skim dry and this morning it is filled about 1 inch with thick sludge...i little too dry for me, so i pushe dthe cup down slightly lower.

darG, if the skimmer is effective at removing waste, the bioballs wont do anything "bad" or become a nitrate factory. but i do agree, it will scare most people away.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/22/2007, 08:22 PM
g l a s s b o x

update: it's still performing very well. here's a shot from this morning. notice how high the cup is up and the water level of the next chamber....it was 6in of dry foam being pushed up from the past few days of severe over feeding of rod's food, live brine, etc.... once it pulled out this gunk it calmed back down and i lowered the collection cup to resume normal skimming.

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/22/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

so how long is this skimmer? Im seeing if it will fit in my sump
thank you
-Josh
-10g. Reef
Old 09/23/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

anyone???
-10g. Reef
Old 09/23/2007, 02:04 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishfreak218
anyone???

why would you want a HOB skimmer in your sump

go to the Deltec website all the dimensions for their skimmers on there.
Old 09/23/2007, 03:12 PM
g l a s s b o x

fishfreak, i am not at home right now to measure...but like GSM said, i'd check out deltec usa's site for the dimensions.

Old 09/23/2007, 05:37 PM
g l a s s b o x

i get back home after a short trip out and hear the sound of water hitting the floor... collection cup overflowed and the drain was not able to drain as quickly as it was skimming.

i shut down the skimmer, emptied the collecion cup and tried firing it up again with cup set as high as possible, and it was skimming out water very quickyl and would have filled in a few minutes....

quite frankly i'm ****ed, but i feel it's safe to say it's from all the foods and supps i've been dumping in to get the angel to eat. why all of a sudden it happened is my biggest question.

Old 09/23/2007, 09:28 PM
One Good Friend

Uhhhhhh, this is just like smj was talking about....not good. Sorry man!
Old 09/23/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

You have the collection cup on backwards. You should turn it 180 degrees so the overflow pipe goes in that hole in the center of the skimmer. The way you have it setup, its dumping into the area of the input pipe which connects to the input of the pump. While not watertight, that area will not drain fast enough not to overflow. If you spin the collection cup around, it will dump into the output side of the skimmer and will drain out the output with no problems.

EDIT-nevermind, I dont have my MCE600 anymore but looked at some old pics and it appears you have it the correct way. I never had overlofw problems with mine, I dont know why yours is acting up. I do remember mine taking a while to break in though before I could lower the collection cup all the way.

Last edited by d4a2n0k; 09/23/2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09/23/2007, 10:12 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
i get back home after a short trip out and hear the sound of water hitting the floor... collection cup overflowed and the drain was not able to drain as quickly as it was skimming.

i shut down the skimmer, emptied the collecion cup and tried firing it up again with cup set as high as possible, and it was skimming out water very quickyl and would have filled in a few minutes....

quite frankly i'm ****ed, but i feel it's safe to say it's from all the foods and supps i've been dumping in to get the angel to eat. why all of a sudden it happened is my biggest question.
Sorry to see that. Same problem. The cup just barely in, air all the way open, running along fine and overflows for no reason. The little overflow pipe doesn't work, dont bother with it.

Try closing the air all the way for a very short time, forcing it to pump all H20, then open it. Be sure the airline is free of restrictions and all that. The friends I had with the skimmer moved and I have lost touch with them. I dont know how the MCE is doing these days. They were not feeding anything unusual. No additives or anything. Just normal light feeding.

My issue is this:
A "premium" HOB skimmer like a Deltec should NEVER overflow all over the floor. Ever. It should be designed so that it is not possible for the cup to overflow. Again, it has the little tube, which doesn't work.
Old 09/23/2007, 10:26 PM
g l a s s b o x

i believe the reason for overflow was a combo of different fresh foods i fed. it caused a feeding frenzy and through the day many of my SPS slimed up. This happens and the same would probably have happened with any other skimmer, but to have it overflow and pour water on my floor is unacceptable. deltec needs to fix that...

on the bright side.....it's back to skimming like a champ again. i am going to set it very dry and do my best to empty the cup often incase this does happen...again.

Old 09/23/2007, 10:31 PM
Generic Member

Some skimmers are designed so that when the cup is full, foaming stops and the water just overflows back into in body through the neck. I think even a Remora works that way. That wedge design collection cup is the problem.
Old 09/26/2007, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

cant this be fixed by drilling a hole in the cup and running tubing to a waste collector, like a milk jug?
Old 09/26/2007, 07:16 AM
One Good Friend

Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
Some skimmers are designed so that when the cup is full, foaming stops and the water just overflows back into in body through the neck. I think even a Remora works that way. That wedge design collection cup is the problem.
I still don't understand why this method isn't universal with hot skimmers? I mean, why wouldn't you do this..........
Old 09/26/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

it would seem logical to me as well
Old 11/01/2007, 09:10 AM
g l a s s b o x

Quote:
Originally posted by tadashi123
cant this be fixed by drilling a hole in the cup and running tubing to a waste collector, like a milk jug?
it already has this, you can have it set up to overflow to the jug or back in to the skimmer...it will then get reprocessed. the issue can be is the skimmer is so powerful that the hole is not large enough to drain fast enough

though i'd give an update to this. skimmate production has gone down, as it's caught up to the tank. it's producting a cupful every 3-4 days now. it seems to do best when the cup is cleaned every 1-2 days to clear out the sludge that accumulates in the neck. i've noticed now that it's really broken in it's pulling out thicker and darker skimmate. is reminds me of my old huge ETSS skimmers in the type of sludge it can get. there is a current action pic in my blog.

i recently took it all apart and cleaned it.... and it quickly went back to skimming.

another thing i've noticed is it's sensitive to water level changes... so if you are using it as a HOB i'd suggest investing in an auto top off such as the tunze osmolator.

i am still very impressed with this great little skimmer

Old 01/01/2008, 07:56 PM
clownfish fan

I cant wait to get mine hooked up. i will post pics when i get it home.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:46 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
... once it pulled out this gunk it calmed back down and i lowered the collection cup to resume normal skimming.

mine is doing this

Old 01/03/2008, 11:00 PM
One Good Friend

Alright GSM, since you have it hooked up and all, lets see some pics man! Did you see the new octo hot recirc....
Old 01/03/2008, 11:05 PM
clownfish fan

nope havent seen it? got link.

I cant post pics im tired i just got home from a 3 week vacation, one observation i have is when i scrapped all the algae off the glass the foam turned dark green and got very thick ive never had a sklmmer that did that before.

when the lights go on tomorrow i will take pics, my SPS all look BAD the skimmer was not on for 2 weeks, but i will have that taken care of soon.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:13 PM
One Good Friend

Yea, my skimmers have always done that when i scraped algae. Pretty sweet to see. The pics are at www.marinesolutionsinc.com to tired to go find the exact link ; )

Tired from a 3week vacation.......man i wish!
Old 01/03/2008, 11:16 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33

Tired from a 3week vacation.......man i wish!
I should have said 3 weeks of worrying about my tank. It always seems like if i had waited one more day everything would be dead.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:18 PM
clownfish fan

From Tonight, this is a real skimmer none of the lackluster performance of my 3 previous HOB skimmers

Old 01/09/2008, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

GSM what other HOB's have you used?