Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 04/18/2005, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Complaint question about local fish store!?

Yesterday I sold some fish to the local fish store because the previous owner of the fish tank that I purchased had it way overstocked. I sold back three tangs a ring tail and two unicorns.
The person working at the fish store asked me to give him ten minutes so that he could acclimate the fish. From my observation it seems that a ten minute acclimation is getting the buckets over to their tank netting the fish and then throwing the fish in. I have been to other fish stores where they at least float the bags for about thirty minutes. I know these fish were big but they could have done water exchanges in the bucket.

Would this be normal for a fish store to do? It hurt me to watch these fish get treated the way they did. I am concidering not doing any business with that store ever again and going public with their name for their poor treatment of these animals
Old 04/18/2005, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

not normal, not good, talk with the owner.
Old 04/19/2005, 09:36 AM
Will Work for Live Rock

yeah, that no way to treat fish, I just wouldn't buy any fish from them, corals maybe.

It's the Journey that makes the Destination so sweet

C. Taylor, M.Ed.
Old 04/24/2005, 03:09 AM
got blue zoo's?

i would talk with the owner before banning yourself from the store, it might have just been that employee!!! (step into my office...cause your ****** fired!!)....
Old 04/24/2005, 07:44 PM
Professional Aquarist

Truthfully, I don't see a problem with simply netting and transferring the fish. While I would have preferred to acclimate the fish to temperature, I doubt the aburpt change bothered them too much. Fish are tougher than many give them credit for.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 04/30/2005, 08:27 AM
a Buffer fish

i agree with you i just pop my fish in(providing the temp is close to the tanks). My theroy is that they are swimming in a bag of fish poop and ammonia. I doubt the suttle change in ph and temp would cause any harm. I would worry about the 1/2 gallon of water they swim in a bag for with no water movement for the acclimation period of 1 hour!

Also i would much rather see my fish hiding and feeling safe in a rock than being stared at by all the fish at the top of the tank.Its not natural for fish to sit in a bag of water.

I have dumped all my fish in with no problems. But invertabrates and corals are way to delicate, but they dont poo in their bag either
Old 04/30/2005, 10:22 AM
RC Staff
American

I completely agree that the water in that bag with the fish is really bad, and depending on how long the fish has been in the bag, it could be down right toxic. However, as the fish spends time in that bag, his breathing and urinating will cause the PH to drop like a stone. This is actually good because Ammonia is far less toxic at low pH, but bad in that PH shock has killed many fish that were "just netted and put in a tank"
Take the time to acclimate for PH, Salinity, and Temp.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 05/01/2005, 08:04 AM
Born Again Reefer

Wow, I have never seen someone with so many posts...I guess if I had had a tank for the last couple years I would have at least 2k or so....but 17,000?
Old 05/03/2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I would talk to the owner of the store. if they are doing that with fish I wonder if they do it with the inverts and corals??? Are the other fish in the tanks healthy? I know the one saltwater store where I live the guy is a complete idiot, he would sell you a shark for a guppy tank if it made him a buck
Old 05/03/2005, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

The store seems to have a descent reputation. Overall the health of the fish seem to be average. Some have ich and are skinny but most seem very active. I will make it a point to speak with the owner.
Old 05/03/2005, 05:50 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by bigtank
Wow, I have never seen someone with so many posts...I guess if I had had a tank for the last couple years I would have at least 2k or so....but 17,000?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/member...ers&perpage=50

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....