Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 04/02/2006, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Talking It's done!

All woodwork has been completed!!! It should be sanded one more time today, and stained later today if he has good weather. Hopefully the doors will arrive sometime this week, and he cant then ship it out to us. I am not sure when I will get it, but there is a good chance possibly this next weekend.

Here are some pictures!

Angle View

Front View

Another Angle View

Side View/ Trim work

Corner and Trim

Close Up of Bottom Trim

Can't wait to see this puppy stained, and get its doors on! I will keep yall updated!

-Mike

ReefKeeping is like a drug! I Swear I can stop!!! :)
Old 04/02/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Very nice...
Old 04/03/2006, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Very nice Mike, where are you buying your lights? I just bought a 225 and was thinking of getting the same. How much are they?
Old 04/03/2006, 04:28 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
Nice.

I cant wait for this weekend-- when you say theyll ship it.

When you get it, can you snap a pic of it in its final location.
THanks.

-alien
Old 04/03/2006, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

It's Done!!!

It's Done!!!!!!!!

The stand is finally done!!! Next is to put the doors on (when he gets them), and stain those up. I might be getting this beast this weekend. Anyways, heres the good part.

What do you guys think? The stain is 'warm walnut' from Sherwin Williams I believe. I can't wait to get the stand over here.

Sean was very good to work with, and it was an overall fun project. He can basically build you anything you want. You ask him to do, theres a 99% chance he can do it or will try to do it for you. He definetly has a gift with woodworking, the pictures can back that up. If you have any questions, PM me or email me at mmarch12990@gmail.com

He said if the shipping process goes smoothly, he would like me to refer him to people on here and RC. I can you his email, phone etc. if you would like to speak with him about building you one.

That's it for now!

-Mike

Old 04/03/2006, 04:46 PM
Architecture Fanatic

That stain really looks amazing!

-alien
Old 04/04/2006, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Nice!
Old 04/04/2006, 11:53 AM
TOTM- June 2007

WOW! Awesome stand! I contacted him for my stand as well but figured with all the custom work I needed to have done to make it fit my steel stand it would be too much of a pain for Sean to do and I didn't want to make it hard for him. I can't believe how fast and nicely he builds stuff. The color is very nice as well. This looks to be a great setup and I will be following it. keep the pics coming!
Old 04/04/2006, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

That is an awesome looking piece of furniture!!

Darin
Old 04/04/2006, 02:43 PM
Student life sucks

you will like the woodlands.... traffic on 45 right now in that area is awful though.... My family is from that area.... I will have to come check it out when you get it all set up
Old 04/04/2006, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. The tank is making some good progress. Derek told me they cut the bottom and back panel, now all they have to do do is cut the front and side starfire panels. I think the overflow boxes are all cut up and drilled as well. He might be sending me some pictures sometime later today.

I will keep yall updated!

-Mike

Old 04/04/2006, 05:28 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by dprill
That is an awesome looking piece of furniture!!

Darin
Furniture for sure!
Old 04/04/2006, 07:13 PM
Threadkiller

Incredible! I wish I would have thought of repeating the columns on the back part of the stand\canopy. I think this design would lend itself very well to a tank that stands in the middle of a room and is visible from all four sides. I may modify my Galadrial-knockoff now to include such.

I'll be watching to see what you do with the doors, love what you chose for stain.

jp
Old 04/04/2006, 07:27 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJPDC
Incredible! I wish I would have thought of repeating the columns on the back part of the stand\canopy. I think this design would lend itself very well to a tank that stands in the middle of a room and is visible from all four sides. I may modify my Galadrial-knockoff now to include such.

I'll be watching to see what you do with the doors, love what you chose for stain.

jp
Does the woodworking continue to the back of the strand?

-alien
Old 04/05/2006, 12:28 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Quote:
Originally posted by alien9168
Does the woodworking continue to the back of the strand?

-alien
I hope Mike doesn't mind me replying here but I thought I would answer 'alien9168's' question.
First off, "Thank you" to Mike for this oppurtunity. Thanks also to him, and the rest of you, for the kind words regarding my work on this project. I created this style for my own stand about a year ago to create something a bit out of the ordinary that reflects a more 3 dimentional 'furniture quality' and style, rather than the typical rectangular stand that sits under most aquariums. The corner columns really give the stand a very stable and 'solid' appearance.
This style appears to be very popular, as per the many 'copies' that are now popping up since my 'thread of the month' thread a while back. I'm glad that others are utilizing the idea and of course, I'm happy to build a few replicas of it for others.
Now to answer the above question. Yes, the trim on the back two columns does wrap around the back, but only for a few inches. Since Mike needs to place his tank several inches away from the wall due to his external overflows, it would not have looked right for the trim to just stop flat as it typically would when placed directly against the wall. So, it was appropriate to continue the trim around and give the columns their true 3 D shape as viewed from the sides. It is a little extra touch that I think he will enjoy. A prefinished board will be sent along with this package that Mike can simple slide in place that will hide all the plumbing behind the stand, tank, and canopy and yet match, but not detract from the actual stand/canopy woodwork.
Thanks again for all the kind words.

Last edited by griss; 04/05/2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04/05/2006, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

cant wait to start building my stand like these.. the columns look so classy.. and not to hard to do.. great stand..
Old 04/05/2006, 04:29 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sonofgaladriel
I hope Mike doesn't mind me replying here but I thought I would answer 'alien9168's' question.
First off, "Thank you" to Mike for this oppurtunity. Thanks also to him, and the rest of you, for the kind words regarding my work on this project. I created this style for my own stand about a year ago to create something a bit out of the ordinary that reflects a more 3 dimentional 'furniture quality' and style, rather than the typical rectangular stand that sits under most aquariums. The corner columns really give the stand a very stable and 'solid' appearance.
This style appears to be very popular, as per the many 'copies' that are now popping up since my 'thread of the month' thread a while back. I'm glad that others are utilizing the idea and of course, I'm happy to build a few replicas of it for others.
Now to answer the above question. Yes, the trim on the back two columns does wrap around the back, but only for a few inches. Since Mike needs to place his tank several inches away from the wall due to his external overflows, it would not have looked right for the trim to just stop flat as it typically would when placed directly against the wall. So, it was appropriate to continue the trim around and give the columns their true 3 D shape as viewed from the sides. It is a little extra touch that I think he will enjoy. A prefinished board will be sent along with this package that Mike can simple slide in place that will hide all the plumbing behind the stand, tank, and canopy and yet match, but not detract from the actual stand/canopy woodwork.
Thanks again for all the kind words.
Thanks man. You really do some great work and you have certainly achieved your goal of making both the stand and canopy look like an actuall piece of solid, classy furniture.

You are right...it would not look right for the trim to just stop... and i like that you thought of that when fabricating the stand.

How wide are his external overflows? SInce you said it will be a few inches off the wall, will people be able to see that the trimm on the back of the stand ends...even after a few inches of trim?

Nice work though...it really should be admired!
Old 04/05/2006, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

The external overflows are 5 inches wide. I am probably gonna have the tank 6 inches of the wall.

Glad you found the thread Sean! Now you can help me answer alot of the structural, constructions etc. questions people have been asking. Thanks again for all your help. Cant wait to see the doors!

-Mike

Old 04/05/2006, 05:15 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Thanks mdm31.
Old 04/05/2006, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

No Problem.

Ordered an Aquacontroller 3 with DC8. Another cool gadget to add to my tank!!! I choose this one because of the built in web server, and it was fairly cheap for a controller. Also picked up a new lab grade pH probe.

I am sure I will need help hooking it up, especially the web part. Of course you guys will help me out right!?

-Mike

Old 04/05/2006, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Great looking stand !

Can you tell me what stain I need to use to get the same look on my stand ? Where can I buy the stain also ?
Old 04/05/2006, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

The stain is "warm walnut" i think its made by Sherwin Williams? You will have to ask Sean that, he just told me it was called "warm walnut."

-Mike

Old 04/05/2006, 06:29 PM
Architecture Fanatic

I'd love to help....but your in loissiana... and i'm not...
Just kidding dude...but seriously...there are definatly people who can help you set it up...its just not me.

Do you have pics of the controller...or a link...
Sounds like you like it allot.
Old 04/05/2006, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

I really only need help on the networking part of the controller. It's an AC3 from Neptunesystems. Its pretty sweet

Old 04/05/2006, 06:49 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Tell us how you like the controller...They have a really good reputation by alot of people.

How big is it?
Where are you going to mount it?
Are you going to build a console/power center?
Is that enough questions