Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 05/10/2006, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Any info on how big ugly is doing or any info on the skimmer that is going to be replacing big ugly?

BTW, I did get to see the Dart NW made by Sequence at IMAC. I think they will be releasing it in the next couple months. Not sure how it compares to spazz's or Bill's NW's. They had it hooked up to a 20 gallon tank and it did fill it nice and thick with very small bubbles.
Old 05/10/2006, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Energy
The Tank sides are made out of 1.25 acrylic-The top and bottom is 3/4 inch acrylic. Thanks Crab000 for the stars heads up. Any one else get an ORP spike from Rowphos? The more I turn it up the higher the orp goes and vica versa. Could it be possible to use the ORP reading as a judgement of the exhaustion of the rowaphos.- I.E if when I turn up the reactor the ORP stays the same indicate exhaustion of the media.
Energy, sweet system.

What is your target ORP reading and what benefits do you see in your reef with higher reading?
Old 05/10/2006, 08:03 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Travis - were are the pics!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 05/10/2006, 08:22 PM
SpEd Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Energy
The Tank sides are made out of 1.25 acrylic-The top and bottom is 3/4 inch acrylic. Thanks Crab000 for the stars heads up. Any one else get an ORP spike from Rowphos? The more I turn it up the higher the orp goes and vica versa. Could it be possible to use the ORP reading as a judgement of the exhaustion of the rowaphos.- I.E if when I turn up the reactor the ORP stays the same indicate exhaustion of the media.
No problem! Gald I could contribute something
Old 05/11/2006, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

My ORP is currently in the low 400's which is exactly where I want it. As the ORP increased I noticed I had to clean the tank walls alot less and my algae problem subsided. I use it as a daily measure for the tank conditions. That is the first thing I look at to monitor the tanks health. After you get used to reading it - it works great to tell what's happening before you see it in the tank. Travis- Spazz is the only one that truly knows of the progress on the next generation big ugly. The original is plugging away fabulously! I can't wait to see the next one. That skimmer saved the day more than once. When my turbo snail population died it literally blew the top off the skimmer! I had to hold it down with a can of Rowaphos.
Old 05/27/2006, 11:24 AM
On hobby time out!

Any updates?
Old 05/27/2006, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Started reading at 1:00, 8 and 1/2 hours later I finally finish ..... I had browsed at the pictures before and this tank just blew me away but I finally had the time to read the entire thing and it was well worth it. I know its been mentioned before but its truly amazing that you are keeping fish that people wouldn't even think about keeping in a reef. The filefish blew me away and a Blue Spotted Ray in a reef???WOW

How long have you had your Dendronepnthya, any signs of it starting to wilt or disinigrate? Do you still have it? There is someone using a product that produces artificial coral mucus that has been successful with these corals for more than a year ... I think since your system is so big and the coral population is so large there is enough mucus to keep this coral happy.
2 150W 20k MH
Gravity Fed H&S AF150-F2001
Eheim 1250 Return
2 Maxi-Streams on Swirler Steins
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Premium Member

sorry triple post
2 150W 20k MH
Eheim 1250 Return
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Premium Member

sorry triple post
2 150W 20k MH
Eheim 1250 Return
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 05/30/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Reef newbie The dendro's have been there for a few months. I keep them at the bottom. There definately hit or miss as to there success. I think the stingray keeps them fed by suspending the detritus from the bottom at night. Not sure if this is the key to there survival so far. I have had a few that didn't make it but I also have a few that are fine. DGASMD- Updates- The algaes all gone but I'm noticing some tissue recession on the LPS and SPS. I'm thinking this might have something to do with the current Rowaphos use. After starting the product their has been a dramatic increase in water clarity and lack of algae of any sort. I'm thinking the lack of phosphates is affecting the symbiotic zooxanthalea (sp?) in the corals creating the tissue loss.
Old 05/30/2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking the lack of phosphates is affecting the symbiotic zooxanthalea (sp?) in the corals creating the tissue loss.
Say it ain't so! All the literature I have read tells me that low phosphate is vital to coral health. I guess if the level drops off dramtically then other organisms that rely on the phosphate & nitrate might suffer, and they may perish causing more toxins to be released. Was there a problem with any of your clams?

It may be like what happens when you remove a whole bunch of algae at the same time and that frees up phosphates and nitrates and then an even worse algae bloom occurs.
Old 05/31/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Well I don't think the rowaphos would be freeing any phosphate up since it removes it. Algae of any sort need a certain amount of phosphate to survive. If the symbiotic algae become accustomed to an elevated phosphate level and then that phosphate level is dramatically reduced I could see where that would lead to health problems for the corals. I know of many documented cases of STN on SPS when Rowphos is introduced and I had the same thing happen. I just haven't heard of this happening to LPS but logically it should follow that it could be a possibility.
Old 05/31/2006, 06:38 PM

Wow, very interesting. Certainly makes me even more careful to do things very slowly. My surprise in your case is that you are dealing with even more water than me and for the Rowaphos to have had that dramatic an affect, you must have used quite a bit of it right? It seems that these swings would be fairly mitigated in a system of your size and I know mine has been forgiving because of it's volume.

What do you think about my idea of organisms relying on Rowaphos perishing and adding toxins to the water? Or what about the algae die-off itself? Could that have spiked the nitrates enough to damage the corals?
Old 05/31/2006, 06:42 PM
TRC Leader

Energy, any news on Scott's new skimmer for your tank?
Old 05/31/2006, 10:22 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

interesting on your thoughts for the Rowa. some have seen not so great results w/ using Rowa but i think they we due to changing parameters quickly.

i'm w/ melev...we want to see that skimmer.....but i think scott isn't done w/ it. melev you following scotts thread on the tiny might pump NW?

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/01/2006, 12:12 AM
TRC Leader

I was until it stopped being posted to. Does he have another one?
Old 06/01/2006, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

That is interesting about the ROWA. I've been running 1200 grams of Phosban in my 280 for the last few weeks in a large fluidized reactor and have seen no negative results whatsoever. I'm running quite a bit of flow through it too, probably around 175-200gph. What I did notice is that it pulled my tank down from .34 PO4 to .02 PO4 in 3 days. My PO4 was pretty high as I had been out of town for a week and left the skimmer running too dry and it didn't collect anything and my tank sitter way overfed the tank. Now my PO4 stays down around .03-.05 even despite feeding the tank extra heavily.

One reason that I may not have noticed any problems with the corals is because they had just been added back to the tank when I started the Phosban after they had been in quarantine for 4 weeks being treated for AEFW's. So maybe they were able to tolerate the change in PO4 levels because they were adapting to new water parameters altogether. The results may have been different had the corals been in the display all along and were used to that water.
Old 06/01/2006, 07:48 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

melev - he has been posting to it...you have a different one subscribed to? the old one?

Travis - nice to see you are back using PO4 media. i was wondering when you were going to have to come back to using it. glad it is going good for you w/ no problems...that is the LAST thing you need

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/01/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

can't find the words........
Old 06/01/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my dream tank!!!!

what an awsome tank. but i dont think any words will do it
justice!!!

cant wait for more pics!!!

thank ya thank ya thank ya!!

dont ya just love this hobby!!! heheeeeeeeeee
Old 06/02/2006, 04:03 AM
Premium Member

energy -
more potters on the way. I went 30 for 30 the other day! Gotta love the nice weather
I'll be in touch.

Z
Old 06/02/2006, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Hey Energy!!
i had a few question for ya, and i dont know if they have
been addressed before, (I havent finished reading this thread
hehe) my first question, is where have you gotten
your fish and corals from? they are all beauful.

also, would you explain the planning and use for your
sponge tank?? i've heard of it once before, but really dont
know anything about it.

thanks
Shellie
Old 06/06/2006, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

The sponge tank has been disassembled. I didn't find it as effective as a Chaeto based refugium for nutrient removal. The main display is still set up to foster the growth of sponges so That's where any sponge filtration will take place. As far as fish and corals go I purchase them from many sources as the rare and show pieces become available.
Old 06/07/2006, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

On the Rowaphos problems, I've heard about some people having RTN/STN problems if they use the full amount initially.

It seems best to use a small amount at first and ramp it up over a month or two.

C Dub
Old 06/07/2006, 12:18 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=861003