Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 10/16/2005, 10:05 PM
no time for spell check!

im not going to answer this question because im not sure if he is or not. but i do know he has lots of experince in the hobby. or should i say the addiction. he said he has had fish tanks ever sence he was 12 and he in his 30s now. so i think after all these years of taking care of fish he is a master reefer. i do remember he said he has a fish that has been with him for over 9 years. what fish it is i dont know.

i will say if he is a member here on reef central and he is reading these post, i hope i am giving your system the recpect it deserves. it is truly a master piece.
Old 10/16/2005, 10:08 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

With a system like that I can't imagine the amount of planning it would take to make it all come together and turn out to be so spectacular.
Old 10/16/2005, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

14 tons of weight! Holy smokes. Any special flooring prep for a beast that big?
Old 10/16/2005, 10:13 PM
One Millionth Poster

he could write an article or charge admission. I would pay to see that.
Old 10/16/2005, 10:15 PM
One Millionth Poster

my guess is that it is a cement tank, that would explain the beautiful rock work.
Old 10/16/2005, 10:48 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kent E
my guess is that it is a cement tank, that would explain the beautiful rock work.
nope! this is an all acrylic tank. i think it was built by midwest custom acrylics. it was assembled on site. the front and back panes are 1.5" thick acrylic and the top and bottom is 3/4" thick acrylic. im not sure how thick the sides are. the rock work was done by the owner of this reef. the entire house was custom built by the owner. all log style home with lofted celings and balconys. it would be worth the money to drive there to see it. i think one of the big reasons(im not for sure though) he is keeping this such a secret is because of the mobs or people who would want the privlage to see this maserpiece. he takes alot of pride in this system.
the only reason i got to see this system is because he saw that i was looking for some 400w ballasts in trade for some icecap 250s. he contacted me and we agreed that i would drive to his place and do the trade.
the picture you see with his arm in the tank was so he copuld get a frag that had broke off he said i could have it if i wanted it. once he told me the size of his system i had asked if it was ok if i brought my camera along and took some pictures. he asked me not to post anything about the ownership of this system. i agreed i wouldnt post anything with out his permition first. after we had talked for a while he said it was ok to post these picture but not to disclose the ownership. i would like to thank him once more for his generosity in letting my family witness this wonderful masterpiece.
Old 10/16/2005, 10:56 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

that log house is SWEET!! very very nice...but the tank wow...17000 gallons!!!! good lord!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/16/2005, 11:03 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
that log house is SWEET!! very very nice...but the tank wow...17000 gallons!!!! good lord!

Lunchbucket
i think your druling too much again bucket. you added an extra zero in there.
ROTFL
Old 10/17/2005, 12:27 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

so it's to early to vote tank of the month.
the one thing i would change is i would make that in my bedroom so i could sleep next to that tank. simply amazing.
Old 10/17/2005, 12:37 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lordhelmet
so it's to early to vote tank of the month.
the one thing i would change is i would make that in my bedroom so i could sleep next to that tank. simply amazing.
i think once the person who own this reef has come forward then we can put our votes in for tank ofthe month. its hard to vote vor a tank when the owner is a mystery. who would reef central contact? not me! i wouldnt tell them anything. it is truly an honor to be the first person allowed to photograph this system and present it to the world.
Old 10/17/2005, 12:46 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

i know, just amazed at the size of that tank. patiently waiting for that day to come.
Old 10/17/2005, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

This is amazing!!! Really love the stringray!!!
Old 10/17/2005, 10:00 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

I think i'm gonna throw up from excitement, That tank is SICK! Nice job!
Old 10/17/2005, 01:52 PM
Moved On

time to go look at the tank in person last time I was there it was only getting water tested.

I know there is a black tang in there some where....
Old 10/17/2005, 03:11 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

Can't wait to see the list of equipment. spazz did you take notes while you were there... Seems like you remembered a lot. I'd have been to anxious / excited. Good work!!
Old 10/17/2005, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes! that makes the seattle aquarium look pretty week!!!! If it was mine, I'd be cleaning it from inside with dive gear! Or maybe not with the Ray in there.. A most beautiful setup.. Very Nice!! Jeff
Old 10/17/2005, 05:04 PM
Corgilover

Ok, this and oregonreef are now my favs. Incredible.
Old 10/17/2005, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
if there is some one who could help me with the hosting and linking of the video i will ask the owner of the stingray reef if i can take video and post it on the web. i just dont want to assume its ok to post video, i want to ask him first. then we can go from there.
spazz.... As everyone has already stated ( and I just now saw this thread ) that is an amazing tank .... I've got a thread in the Reef Discussion forums called "Home Reef Videos".... It's the largest thread in RC totally devoted to videos made and produced by "us" here in RC .... I'd like to point you to a couple of folks that might help you host a video for here and especially on my thread for ALL to see... contact: AJP or melev.... both RC members I'm sure they'll hook you up especially when you tell them about this tank and it's size.....

Bob
Old 10/17/2005, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Holly BeJesus!!!!! Hellova nice reef!!! I have a new favorite reefer.
Old 10/17/2005, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Looking at the tank again, I'd say theres almost no way that tank is 15 feet long and 5 feet wide. Using the guy as comparision
Does anyone else see that?
Old 10/17/2005, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

SWEET..

Thats 15ft long . The Cute little girl is about 2 feet Tall . The Tank looks at least 7 times longer then Her. My Tank is 8 Feet long and 5 Feet wide , This Tank looks twice as long, Hard to see the width in the pictures.
Old 10/17/2005, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

well you figure the guy is 6 feet tops the tanks is a tad less then double him, and come on 2 feet for the girl my son is 2 years old and is 38 inches. shes atleast as tall as the tank which is sateated as 33 1/2
Im not saying the tank isn't more than amzing just that I can't see the 15 foot long and 5 feet wide, Look at the pictures with him on top of the tank I can't seem to figure the 5 feet wide out in those pics
Erik
Old 10/17/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

3 feet wide is my guess, No biggie the real owner should post the real specs and equipment he has, I really like to no what it takes to run a tank that big
Erik
Old 10/17/2005, 09:35 PM
4 & over club

Heh, wow. I remember Jerry telling me about this back when Greg was setting up his 450 and I thought that was a big tank! Course it was, but man..

I hope he hosts a meeting sometime!
Old 10/17/2005, 09:41 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

eriksmacks - i've seen it in person...and i was told it is 15ft...everything i have heard from others is that the specs are 15ft. long. i didn't have a measuring tape along though just don't knock the system man...it ROCKS! it was amazing to see it empty...i couldn't immagine it full

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-