Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/30/2005, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Largest Possible Glass Aquarium?

Greetings,
For reasons I can't explain, I must have a Glass aquarium that is 12'w x 6'd x 4'w. Yup, that's 2,154 gals.
Can this be done? Can it even be done with just a Glass viewing pane and with the sides/bottom consisting of some other material?
Or, do my size requirements restrict me to an Acrylic aquarium?

Thanks for your help.

ktmhk53
Old 01/30/2005, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Do a search for building plywood tanks. Good alternative.

Ron
Old 01/30/2005, 07:22 PM
Resident physicist.

Out of curiosity why do you want glass? I would think the glass thickness on something that big would be awfully green unless you went with some seriously low- iron glass.
Old 01/30/2005, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Why on earth would you need exactly this size? Regardless, at 6' depth, you're probably talking special order, glass or acrylic...not to mention you'll practically need a crane to move it. $$$$ A one-sided tank would be a superior design as you would need substantial bracing to hold back the force of the water, the standard glass box using silicone around the corners wouldn't cut it.

Plywood tanks are an option...though the deepest I've ever seen with plywood was about 4.5 feet. Concrete might be a better option.

If you don't need to have a full-depth window in the front of the tank, you can get significant savings in both size and thickness of the window...
Old 01/31/2005, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

What sort of tank are you designing? In wall?
Old 01/31/2005, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

Greetings everyone,
Thanks for your interest. I should clear up a few things I didn't state very well.
The tank will be an in-wall unit, only visible from one side, with a large service-room behind/above it. The size I've chosen is what I want relative to the viewing-room's size.
My preference is to have a single pane of Glass (at the size indicated) for the viewing window, and whatever type of material is best for the rest of the tank. This is being placed in a new home so my options are pretty open. Cost, or the ability to move such a large pane of Glass, is not a concern.

Can I get Glass that large? My preference for Glass is due to its scratch resistance.

If not, would you suggest a tank of completely Acrylic, or just an Acrylic window in a tank made of plywood, concrete, fiberglass, etc?

Thanks again for your suggestions,

ktmhk53
Old 01/31/2005, 10:17 AM
How YOU doin?

As sfsuphysics said, it's gonna be a green tank if you use regular glass. You're probably going to want laminated low iron glass if you don't want acrylic. If you don't know the names of low iron glass manufacturers, do an internet search (maybe you'll find someone new, and can tell us) for low iron glass.

Or, perhapse you can get the front pane through a tank manufacturer that deals with laminated low iron glass. They could recommend a size, and they would have the contacts to get it laminated for you.
Quote:
Originally posted by ktmhk53
Cost, or the ability to move such a large pane of Glass, is not a concern.
Then you can get whatever you want.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 01/31/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

IMHO you are restricted to acrylic if for no other reason than *if* the glass does crack, the results would be absolutely catastrophic both for the tank's inhabitants and your home.
For a viewing area that size, I'd recommend no less than 2.5" acrylic and a tank structure of either fiberglass or concrete. Fiberglass if you *ever* plan on moving it, concrete if this is not even a consideration. For concrete, I can't be of any help but for fiberglass, go to www.waterdogproducts.com Jon (owner) is a good guy and has always been helpful IME.

HTH,
James
Old 01/31/2005, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Greetings James,
Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether this size tank would be better done in fiberglass than all acrylic (leaving concrete aside for the moment).

ktmhk53
Old 01/31/2005, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

That's pretty similar to the size/shape of the small tropical tank at the Seattle aquarium. It's made with fiberglass and a acrylic viewing window. Unlike any acrylic tank I've seen, the lip around the outside edge is small - only a few inches wide.

Maybe you should be trying to contact public aquariums and ask about their mid size display tanks. There is a lot of collective wisdom there.

[Edit: Ok, well it's 1/4 the water volume of the one in Seattle aquarium, but point still stands]
Old 01/31/2005, 12:54 PM
Reefer

A tank tha tsize isn't going to get many accidental bump/scratches on the inside. Are you more concerned about the outside? You could put a sheet of glass in front of it to protect the acrylic (and also the inhabitants from the tappers).
Old 01/31/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

better have a $30,000 start up budget
Old 01/31/2005, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

My opinion, which is usually not worth much, is that making a tank this size out of glass or acrylic isn't really reasonable or useful, at that size, neither material is sufficiently strong or rigid. Even if you wanted to, that tank would have to be constructed on site, once built, it would not be able to be moved without destroying it. Now, considering that only the front is viewable, why waste an enormous amount of money on the necessary sized glass or acrylic.

So what are the options? Do it like a big aquarium would, because that is what you are making here.

My suggestion is reinforced concrete with two 6x6 viewing panels. Laminated low iron glass in those sizes (1.5") shouldn't be very expensive. In fact, the concrete/panel construction will likely be the most inexpensive way to do it. It'll also be the strongest.

jb
Old 01/31/2005, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

I just thought of something....

I know people like glass because its less easy to scratch vice acrylic, but what if you install the see-through protection plastics over acrylic to protect it. just like the 3m protectors they have for cars to protect from rock chips, glass head lights, etc....

anyone?
Old 01/31/2005, 03:01 PM
How YOU doin?

If money is no expense...transparent aluminum can be used to build a whale tank on a space ship. It was "discovered" by a Scottsman in San Francisco. Late 80's/early 90's, I forget which.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 01/31/2005, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

A tank 6' deep should probably be at least 6 feet wide...why? Lighting. If you are using natural lighting, this isn't so much an issue, but if you are using artificial lighting, it would only make sense to make the tank wider, else you are just wasting light, and for what you will be paying to light this sucker, you probably want to be as efficient in lighting it as possible.

Fish only or a combined reef/fish only system become possible in systems this large. Rock structures that are spot-lighted in the shallower areas can provide for corals, while the bulk of the tank is indirectly lighted, which is all that's needed for fish... aesthetically it doesn't look as good though IMO.

Really though, if you're going to spring for 12x6 feet for the front viewing window, I would think you might as well make it deeper, maybe 10 feet or so at least...with the 6 foot depth you'd have to get in the tank anyway to clean it, might as well make it larger...the concrete and rebar is inexpensive with respect to the front pane. So, you're basically talking about building an indoor pool here.
Old 01/31/2005, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Greetings everyone,
I've got an e-mail into Waterdog Products and am waiting for their reply.
Concrete sounds like a good option, but I'm not sure I'd be able to find someone local to do the work. Plus, if 20 years down the road I decided to sell the house and needed to remove the tank, doing so would make a very big mess.
What its looking like now is that a fiberglass tank with an acrylic window may be the way to go.
My initial desire for Glass was due to my not wanting to possibly scratch the viewing window while cleaning the algae off. While I may be focussing on this potential problem too much, I'm now thinking I can avoid this issue by having the bottom of the tank low enough that the top of the substrate is a few inches below the actual opening for viewing. I think this would allow me to keep my brush above/away-from the substrate when cleaning and greatly reduce the risk of scratching any part of the viewing window that could be seen from the outside.

Sound logical?

ktmhk53
Old 01/31/2005, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

There are many many monster issues you'll need to tackle. Worrying about scratching the glass or deconstruction if you decide to move, are absolutely minimal in comparison.

jb
Old 01/31/2005, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grim
There are many many monster issues you'll need to tackle...
jb
True, True.
I've been looking these over for the last 3 years, reading all the "Large Tank" posts on this forum. But right now I need to make a final decision on the tank as it needs to be installed prior to the walls being erected. The filtration / HVAC system particulars can be determined later, and installed at a slower pace....

ktmhk53
Old 01/31/2005, 04:49 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by grim
My opinion, which is usually not worth much, is that making a tank this size out of glass or acrylic isn't really reasonable or useful, at that size, neither material is sufficiently strong or rigid.
Hogwash, this is not even that large for an acrylic tank. Check out the construction/installation pics on this 4000g tank the link below.

http://www.seaquariums.com/webphotos/index.html
Old 01/31/2005, 05:11 PM
Resident physicist.

Man that's a huge mother of a tank! On one hand I feel jealous, on the other I'd hate to have to clean that or see the electric bill every month.
Old 01/31/2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktmhk53
Greetings James,
Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether this size tank would be better done in fiberglass than all acrylic (leaving concrete aside for the moment).
Personally, I think fiberglass w/ acrylic viewing panel is best for this tank. It will also be much cheaper, at least 50% less I would think. I wouldn't argue against concrete either, kinda depends on time frame of your residency in this home IMO. As stated earlier by another, this is a public aquarium sized tank and the method for construction should, IMHO, follow suit.

HTH,

James
Old 01/31/2005, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

I'm in trouble now!!!

Dimensions? I need dimensions!

ktmhk53
Old 01/31/2005, 08:47 PM
Reefer

In trouble? Like what, you needed to have the biggest one?
Old 02/01/2005, 12:41 AM
Brother Maynard

i f you list where you live...some local reefers might be able to point you in the right direction of who to talk to or where to go for local help.

i do not think your dimensions are a bit ludicrous. i have seen much, much bigger displays at public aquariums.

if cost is not an issue, as you stated, perhaps you may be able to contact the local aquarium and ask them who made their displays. perhaps they can do the same for you.

even the shark tank at the local smaller public aquarium here has a huge sheet of clear material (dunno know the material...appears to be acrylic).

if you are doing this yourself...contact mr.4000, he had a 4000g system in his home. he eventually tore it down due to humidity problems i believe.

i have a friend that is doing a teen tiny 500g system and is planning for humidity issues.

if i were building a new house (ha! southern california prices!!!) i would definitely do a pretty big in wall display with a single viewing front panel rather than a glass box. it would most likely be in the 500g to 1000g area. it's much easier to construct, from scratch, the 'fish room' to deal with the humidity issues that will surely arise from the get go rather than try to build around it.

have fun! sounds like a totally cool project! oh, and you have to post a serial history of your journey! it's the 'law' here on rc!

Ben.