Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

want to stay subscribed, but want to stop emails!

Okay, how can I stay subscribed to a thread, but stop the email notifications? My email is getting packed! Thanks.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:56 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I could be wrong, but I believe that with this version of Vbulletin that subscription = emails.

Hopefully someone "smarter" will chime in to either confirm or deny that.

Edit, looks like I was right,

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...+notifications
Old 11/30/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I hope they change that. I noticed an increase in emails. It is really annoying. I get one everytime someone posts. Threads like the T5 q&a can add a dozen emails in one day.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:05 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Yep, in this version of Vbulletin subscription = emails. No way around it, and not much chance of it changing anytime soon. Supposedly the admins are planning on upgrading from this version of the software some point down the line but the reason its taken so long already is because this version is so heavily modified already.

One thing you can do instead is setup some kind of filter in your email to catch those email notifications. Depending on your emails options you may be able to set up one to filter out emails with a certain string of text that only appear in thread subscriptions (thus, not catching PM notifications and such).

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 11/30/2007, 11:38 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11290058#post11290058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jadeguppy
I hope they change that. I noticed an increase in emails. It is really annoying. I get one everytime someone posts. Threads like the T5 q&a can add a dozen emails in one day.
I get a few hundred emails per day.

It's not something we can change. It requires an updgrade to the entire vbulletin platform which is not a simple thing on a board of his size.

Two solutions we commonly recommend to people:
-Use a disposable email account (yahoo, gmail..etc) and just never check it.
-Set up email filters and move all your incoming RC mail to a folder.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 12/01/2007, 11:45 AM
Rubberman

Since my email is domain based I can access it through the server and just bounce it back by creating a rule like I do for all the naughty words, miracle drugs, etc. That way it never reaches me at all. Wouldn't that work?

BTW, Poor Richard keeps trying to email me but for some reason he can't?

SteveU
Old 12/01/2007, 12:59 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11292370#post11292370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration
Since my email is domain based I can access it through the server and just bounce it back by creating a rule like I do for all the naughty words, miracle drugs, etc. That way it never reaches me at all. Wouldn't that work?
We'll see that over time, get mad at you and shut down your email notifications.

Old 12/01/2007, 01:02 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11292756#post11292756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mhurley
We'll see that over time, get mad at you and shut down your email notifications.
Well it's been a while and I'm feeling neglected.

see my interests

SteveU
Old 12/09/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

If you have yahoo mail ---
add a folder on the right, name it reef central
on right click on options
click filters
click add
in body --contains. add this line
replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled
then on bottom choose move to folder reef central

You will still get mesages from admin or someone emailing you through rc in your inbox but all replys to threads will go into your new reef central folder.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:11 AM
Team RC Member

not only that, even after you've dropped the subscription to a thread, the emails go on...and on...and on...
I'm also in the hundreds of emails a day category...and I'm confused, but I've dropped all my subscription threads and still have emails I think are from RC...

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Having a site tell me that I need to open a junk email account is a bit annoying. I love this site, but this is a major issue that needs fixed. I have even tried marking emails as junk mail and they continue to show up.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:21 AM
RC Admin

Sorry, but it's not something we can "fix" with the snap of a finger. The software is doing exactly what it was originally written to do. Over 100,000 other people on here are managing just fine with the way it is. If you don't want the emails, don't subscribe to the threads. If you want the subscriptions, we've given you the options are currently available to you and that's all we can do right now.