Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Looks Good

If you are going to use 90deg I would suggest using long elbows for drainage and not the true 90 deg pressure ones. I had some cavitation problems with a true 90 deg right before the pump intake. If you haven't purchased the bulkheads yet I would suggest a 2" off the sump through the elbow and then reduce it to 1 1/2" right before the pump intake. This way the weight of the water in the sump is supplying the pump and there is less suction through the 1 1/2" diameter.

Last edited by cannarella; 10/26/2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:31 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks Andy, I have purchased the bulkhead and they are 2". I wanted to make sure my input and output were the same. I had heard about the problem with cavitation and so I talked to my LFS that I frequent - he explained all about it and suggest I go with 2" throughout. Thanks for the suggest on the long elbows - I think I'll use those throughout my design. I would think it would not only give better flow but also gunk wouldn't get stuck.

I have to post your build here - I love your woodworking skills :. When I get to my detailed woodworking I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ostid=11006248
Old 10/26/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Feel free, I will trade my woodworking know how for that bandsaw...
Old 10/27/2007, 05:35 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hey - don't be touching my bandsaw, I'm just now getting to know it and love it. It is a dream tool to use but does take some time to learn. I purchased it over getting a new table saw - which I really don't like using at all. I wish I did but they just scare me. On my old table saw I finally removed the blade guard and now I feel it's much safer. Yes I now cut my hand off but my wood would always get stuck in the teeth and the splitter - that was dangerous in my opinion. We'll see once I get to my detail work - I know I'll have to use my table saw for a few things .
Old 10/27/2007, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

I love my table saw. Leaving the house now for the drive to Tampa. Will be stopping by FAOIS later this afternoon.
Old 10/31/2007, 01:21 PM
Underground Art Studio

Andy - I hope you've enjoyed your trip and I'm really sorry about the sand taking longer then expected.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new table saw, I've been looking around for one at least. I have a real small one now and I think that is a big issue. When cutting anything over a foot or so wide, it's just not stable enough.

Thanks everyone for all the help and information it has really helped me through some problem spots.

I've been reading a lot lately about RDSB here on RC and would love to hear from anyone that has some experience with them. I have high nitrates in my 65g tank now and I want to build a way to reduce or at least keep them in check in my 280g.

Here are the options I've been looking at:
Remote Deep Sand Bed (RDSB)
Denitrator Unit
Sulfur reactor

If anyone has been using these I'd love to hear the pros/cons. I can read about them all day, but I like to hear from people that are actually using these methods.
Old 10/31/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Find a used contractors saw or cabinet saw, tune it up, get a good fence, and blade. You will be happy.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist

I've been reading a lot lately about RDSB here on RC and would love to hear from anyone that has some experience with them. I have high nitrates in my 65g tank now and I want to build a way to reduce or at least keep them in check in my 280g.

Here are the options I've been looking at:
Remote Deep Sand Bed (RDSB)
Denitrator Unit
Sulfur reactor

If anyone has been using these I'd love to hear the pros/cons. I can read about them all day, but I like to hear from people that are actually using these methods.
Carol,

I have a RDSB/ plenum (175 g fuge/sump) on my 360 gal prop system and a Sulfur Denitrator on my 150. I haven't checked the numbers on the prop system because it only has softies now.

The Sulfur Denitrator on my 150 has knocked the high nitrates down below detectable levels in just over a month, and it has to be one of the easiest DIY I have done yet. Brucem has had similar results with the same DIY. The media lasts for years and you don't have to dose a carbon source like you do with the other Denitrators.

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:00 PM
Wife and dog.

Carol I was thinking of getting a table saw too, one place I found some deals if you know what you are looking for is pawn shops. AS long as you know what you are looking for the store managers are willing to bargain the price if you make an offer. I got a nice Craftsmen router for $10 at a pawn shop. You would be surprised how many tools are there! Something I did as well was call a few shops in my area before I left and got an idea what tools they had that I was looking for.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/05/2007, 09:21 PM
yeah...right

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah64av8tor
Carol,

I have a RDSB/ plenum (175 g fuge/sump) on my 360 gal prop system and a Sulfur Denitrator on my 150. I haven't checked the numbers on the prop system because it only has softies now.

The Sulfur Denitrator on my 150 has knocked the high nitrates down below detectable levels in just over a month, and it has to be one of the easiest DIY I have done yet. Brucem has had similar results with the same DIY. The media lasts for years and you don't have to dose a carbon source like you do with the other Denitrators.

I'll trade you sand for a Denitrator JK

I also been reading good things about sulfur denitrator as well. As soon as I get the rest of my stuff hooked up I am going to add one.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Carol-

Looks like things are coming along very nicely.. Work has been slow on mine but i would love to get together again and throw around some ideas for mine from what you have learned on yours. Anytime your free your more then welcomed to stop by and see what I have going on.

On a side note with the denitrator if someone has a blueprint I would love to get a set and consider adding one large enough for my 600 system!

Best regards-
Charles
Old 11/06/2007, 09:14 AM
Underground Art Studio

Ah64av8tor - that is very cool! I've been talking to John about it but just wanted to hear from people that have about the same size tank as mine. I have everything I need to make one so - might be project time with in the next week. BTW Greg - sorry I haven't made the trip over to pick up the light/timer, I haven't forgotten!

Of course on Saturday I was a little busy with the sand purchase - I now have sand for the tank!

Sunday - Joe (poknsnok) and I looked at my plumbing and I'll have some problem areas but nothing I can't overcome. We moved my freshwater guys into their new home (90g down to a 45) with only one little guy stressing out and is no longer with his buddies .

Monday - I built the Sea horse tank stand frame and also the frag/QT stand - they are about 80% completed.

Today - I'll get the tanks drilled (If I have time) and try to get things finished up with the frames.

chrismhaase - nice to hear from you and thanks for the information. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I do have a table saw now but I just don't like it. It might be that I'm just to Apprehensive.

CaptiveReefer03 - I've been wondering how your build has been coming. I've not heard much from you lately but figured the fires/etc had been keeping you busy. I'd love to see what you've been doing.

I'll definitely have blueprints posted of my denitrator - all we would have to do is double the size or make two for your tank.
Old 11/06/2007, 10:46 AM
Patient Reefer

Carol and Greg, I am interested in your sulfer denitrator design. I'll wait for the blue prints and then ask questions if I don't understand.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflamb
Carol and Greg, I am interested in your sulfer denitrator design. I'll wait for the blue prints and then ask questions if I don't understand.
The plans for the Ca Reactor are the same for the Sulfur Denitrator, except you dont need a bubble counter (could be nice for adjusting the flow) and you can get away with a smaller pump though (Im using a MJ 1200).

I also have a Large Korallin S-3002 Sulfur Denitrator and all the parts are interchangeable between their Ca Reactor and their Denitrator.
Check out the specks at Marine Depot

Old 11/06/2007, 11:27 AM
Underground Art Studio

Yeah I looked at yours Greg and for the most part I'm going to make mine just like the Ca without all the top plumbing. I'm also going to add a air release valve on the top. That's one thing I wish I would have added on my Ca Reactor. Right now I just open one of the outputs until water goes everywhere - nice. Just something I thought to add. My Kal mixer will basically be the same. I'm using 4.5" acrylic and 4" PVC fits perfect. I agree with the 1200 MJ - that should be way to much flow. I'm thinking more of a Phosban pump that is normally around 80 - 110 - slow and easy.

I'm taking a break - I just drill my refugium (2), grasses (2), one hole in sea horse tank - just a few more to go!
Old 11/06/2007, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Carol,

I feed mine with a John Guest ball valve tapped into the return pump plumbing and use the MJ for the recirculation pump.

The through put flow is just faster than a steady drip but less than a stream (if that makes sense) I had it on a straight siphon over the top from my overflow box before I finished the plumbing manifold.

You should not have to worry about the air if you plumb the return from the highest point, and you should not have to open it up until you need to replace the media (which might be after a few years)

Old 11/06/2007, 12:01 PM
Patient Reefer

So basically, it's water in, water out, and a recirculation pump.
Old 11/06/2007, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflamb
So basically, it's water in, water out, and a recirculation pump.
That easy!

Old 11/06/2007, 01:12 PM
Underground Art Studio

I see Greg, my Ca Reactor now is sitting on the floor and of course my tank is above it. With my new setup I'm going to plug everything into a PVC manifold that will feed each media container individually (Gate valves going to each). The feed will come from one of my return pumps. So as long as my return connectors are above my input connectors I shouldn't have a problem - is that right? Better way to put it - I'm going to plumb my return on the top of the reactor, this way I really shouldn't have to use a air release valve.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:38 PM
Patient Reefer

Where do you get your sulfer? How much do you use?
Old 11/06/2007, 02:00 PM
Underground Art Studio

I know FAOIS has it (might want to call first - they had one container left), that was on Saturday.
Old 11/06/2007, 03:07 PM
Patient Reefer

I'll check with John when I get back from my travels.
Old 11/09/2007, 10:49 AM
Underground Art Studio

Mike! How the heck are you? I thought you had already left on your great big adventure - guess not. So when do you leave?
Old 11/09/2007, 11:23 AM
Wife and dog.

So a Sulfer Reactor is essentially the same as a Phosphate or Carbon reactor? Could you also use the reactor by 2 Little Fishies for a Sulfer Reactor instead of a phosphate or carbon unit? Just an idea since they are fairly cheap, ~$40.00

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/09/2007, 12:42 PM
Underground Art Studio

No they aren't the same. The Sulfur Denitrator is mainly for your Nitrates, Phosphate reactor - Phosphates etc. My tank is big and I can make my reactors much cheaper than the Phosban reactors - I don't like them anyway and would make my own. They are great for small tanks but not for something this large - I would need two or three for everything I needed. They also only have an in/out without the recirculation capability - I need to recirculate the fluids within the container. If I was going to use something like that (Which I am) I would use RO containers - which is what I'll be using. They mount very easily and they can handle years of use which the phosban reactor can’t (they are made for small tanks).

Here’s my setup:
On my DIY Phosphate reactor – 20oz RO unit tapped to handle 1/2” fittings

On my DIY Carbon reactor – 20oz RO unit tapped to handle 1/2” fittings

On my DIY Sand reactor – 20oz RO unit tapped to handle 1/2” fittings (Between the two)

Then I have my DIY Calcium Reactor

Making a Sulfur Denitrator – thanks to everyone’s input

Off on its own will be my Protein Skimmer

All of these are being Tee’d off my return pump and all will have their own gate valve to control flow.

I hope this explains what I have planned for my weekend .