Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 01/01/2008, 02:43 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

jnarowe - Huh...interesting. I just figured w/ out anything on the ends of the outlets it would work well?

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 01/01/2008, 05:34 PM
no time for spell check!

our thoughts for the 4 way are to hide the locklines in the rock work to hit the dead spots in the bottom of the tank. the drumb will be a single holed drumb to fire 2 or 3 lock lines on a single leg at a time. we are building a very special manifold in the bottom of the tank to be low profile and still flow alot of water through them. this will not be the main flow for the tank what so ever. i think charles has deciede to install 6 of the 6201's in the tank for the main flow. these will be hidden behind tunze boxes that ae covered with live rock to hide them and break up the squareness of the tank.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
our thoughts for the 4 way are to hide the locklines in the rock work to hit the dead spots in the bottom of the tank. the drumb will be a single holed drumb to fire 2 or 3 lock lines on a single leg at a time. we are building a very special manifold in the bottom of the tank to be low profile and still flow alot of water through them. this will not be the main flow for the tank what so ever. i think charles has deciede to install 6 of the 6201's in the tank for the main flow. these will be hidden behind tunze boxes that ae covered with live rock to hide them and break up the squareness of the tank.
you may want to use version 3 drum which has symmetrical openings on each side, this allows it to always be in balance and therefore turn easier, according to Paul at OM.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:08 PM
no time for spell check!

with the way the manifords are designed we cant have more than 1 hole in the OM or the flow will be so little that it wont move any water to keep the detritus from building up.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
jnarowe - Huh...interesting. I just figured w/ out anything on the ends of the outlets it would work well?

Lunchbucket
Well as you can see, Scott has it figured out. It's my feeling that they are not sufficient for large tanks, but in this case, they are using a variety of flow mechanisms. For me, I would rather not bring in the extra mechanical risk. I guess the risk is fairly low and you can always have a spare drum on hand.

My next tank will probably have a pressure rated return pump with Penductors to keep the bottom clean and force detritus up and into the overflow, giving me high flow in the tank and lower flow to the sump, while still utilizing just one large pump, plus built-in(hidden) wave boxes. I will shoot for 50,000 - 60,000 gph capacity from the wave boxes so that I can "de-tune" them to provide wicked random flow but without the waves.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Wow coolpazz. I did just what you were talking about. I bought my first reef tank and have a dartt running my om4 perfecly fine ( not saying it will work with the hammerhead).

I was afraid of drilling my tank so i have 1 of the 1' om ports going into a 3/4 pipe . It comes from the top and goes down the side to the bottom where I have 4 1/2 loclines. I have some pictures on my thread. I kept going down in diameter to build up a little pressure. At the other port that flows at the same time I am going to run a 3/4 penductor. I'll find out how it works soon.

I have always hated how my rocks were always fill of fish poo and I didnt have enough flow in my fo tanks. I had a very small skimmer too. So I always love the idea of having flow from the bottom up so it can help get the poop out.

Now that I am not such a rookie after drilling my sump and fuge maybee I will drill the bottom or side. To late now,, Maybee down the line. I did break a tank. Glad my first tank was a 55 I drilled. heheheh

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 01/03/2008, 09:24 PM
Boomer gave me this

I love this tank, my biggest gripe with mine and most other serious flow tanks is all the tunzes and CL returns showing.
I hope I can implement/ retrofit some of your ideas on my own system.
I look forward to more pictures and details!
Chris
Old 01/04/2008, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Updates:

I am heading down to the Minneapolis/St.Paul today to look at some rock and other equipment. I am hoping to pick up a bunch of rock to "mock-up" some aquascaping for powerhead placement...I am still debating between 6201's (6) and 6301's (4).

Also, I will get some aquascaping ideas when I travel to St. Lucia for the next week.

On a side note - I am thinking of doing an aggressive tank once I treat all the fish for the main display. That way I will make full use of the Tenecor 150g I have in the room.

Stands and frag tanks are being made as we speak and I should be able to start QT corals and fish when I get back.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:59 PM

6301's baby! Did you get a cost on them?
Old 01/04/2008, 03:02 PM
Boomer gave me this

That's some serious Tunze money there