Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 08:42 PM

So easy to do and the results are stellar. You know if the Great dgasmd is using one, it works well.

And I should have written, "different length pipes can be used..."
Old 11/13/2007, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Nice Reef blower. That would surefly provide a lot of flow to hit the corals with and at the same time not act like a water jet and blow the tissue away.

I have been using a maxijet, hand held.. but I like the idea of having a 45 degree elbow on it with a pipe extension, to allow access to underneath the corals.

The reason that I like the maxijet (unmodified) is that I can easily stop the flow, by putting my hand on the intake. This comes in handy when I need to b;ast the corals that are closer to the bottom and control the sand that could get created.

sanjay.
Old 11/13/2007, 08:29 AM
TANK RAIDER!

very very nice tank and thought process. One of the best so far.

excellent!
Old 11/13/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Hello Sanjay,

Congratulations on the success of your tank. Your hard work has certainly paid off. Besides the calcium reactor, are you supplementing anything else? Also, what and how often do you feed your tank?
Old 11/14/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

I do not supplement with any thing else, unless its a boost to increase alk, Ca, or Mg.

I feed the fish with an assortment of food... spectrum pellets, hikari mysis, and pacifica mysis - twice a day usually. Once after I get back from work, and once more late in the night.

sanjay.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Going through the picture it seemed like last week you had these mini little frags and now they are fantastic corals. But I guess it was a little longer than a week, but still the most growth I have ever seen in 1 year.

Okay You have good balanced lighting, And loads of water flow. But what else is your secret to success. How are you feeding your corals? What are you adding to keep the calcium and Kh up to proper levels? Are you using other additives? Iodine? Strontium? etc.?

Great job now how do I get my little 120 looking like that?

Dennis
Old 11/14/2007, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TropTrea
Going through the picture it seemed like last week you had these mini little frags and now they are fantastic corals. But I guess it was a little longer than a week, but still the most growth I have ever seen in 1 year.

Okay You have good balanced lighting, And loads of water flow. But what else is your secret to success. How are you feeding your corals? What are you adding to keep the calcium and Kh up to proper levels? Are you using other additives? Iodine? Strontium? etc.?

Great job now how do I get my little 120 looking like that?

Dennis
Dennis:

I have to say that even I was surprised with the growth especially when I compared it to this picture from Jan 07.

I don't know what else is there as far as secrets go. I keep things stable, attach the corals and don't move them around, use a reactor for Ca and Alk, and use Randy's 2 part to give it a boost of Ca, Mg, and Alk when needed. No other additives.

I feed the fish a wide varietty of food, spectrum pellets, pacifica mysis, hikari mysis, cyclopeeze. Nothing in particular for the corals, they trap whatever they can.

So really I don't have any secrets to share. If I did I could bottle them and sell them... may be I just have a "coral thumb".

sanjay.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

I think it's a little more than just a "coral thumb".
Old 11/14/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Sanjay great looking tank!!!!
MK
Old 11/14/2007, 10:42 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah its gorgeous!
Old 11/15/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
Dennis:

I have to say that even I was surprised with the growth especially when I compared it to this picture from Jan 07.

I don't know what else is there as far as secrets go. I keep things stable, attach the corals and don't move them around, use a reactor for Ca and Alk, and use Randy's 2 part to give it a boost of Ca, Mg, and Alk when needed. No other additives.

I feed the fish a wide varietty of food, spectrum pellets, pacifica mysis, hikari mysis, cyclopeeze. Nothing in particular for the corals, they trap whatever they can.

So really I don't have any secrets to share. If I did I could bottle them and sell them... may be I just have a "coral thumb".

sanjay.
Lets see here... Probably a Kalk reactor rather than a calcium reactor if it adds both the Ca and Alk? Then additional suplements Ca, Alk, and Mg.

That could be part of it for me as I'm just adding TurboCa now on a weekly bases. Alkilinity is still holding for me without any addition. Was planning on a Kalk reactor in the long run but now chem levels do not seem to merit it yet. Probably whjen my corals get bigger they will start depleting the system faster.

Now as far as the different brands of mysis is this on purpose? or simply which is on sale at the time?

Now for an off topic question for the expert in the field. Which do you prefer as far as hermiot crabs the blue leg or scarlets. And how many roughly for a 120 gallon tank (2' X 4' X 2")

Thanks
Dennis
Old 11/15/2007, 02:43 PM
Catch and release

Very nice growth Sanjay....I believe you do indeed have a blue thumb!

FWIW I lived with AEFW's for about a year managing with a powerhead and a Christmas wrasse (Halichoeres sp.). The tank did ok. Here is a picture of the tank after several months of management. It did pretty well but what I noticed over time was that the flatworms had their favorite corals and those in particular suffered quite a bit even with frequent dips and blowing off the worms every couple of weeks. I also noticed overall Ill health creeping in on several colonies with a general dull color and poor polyp extension.....even without obvious signs of infestation.
My poor results could have been due to my schedule with Vet school and the fact I was only able to blow off corals every 2 or 3 weeks and not every week. I ended up treating out of tank mainly because I wanted to be able to trade and sell frags again but also because of the gradual decline in my corals health. Unfortunately I ended losing almost all of my Acros.
Another thing that has popped up is the possibility of using Camel Shrimp for an out of tank or in sump treatment to reduce the worm burden.......also mentioned in this thread.
Just thought I would relate my experience. Good luck with them. They really are a nightmare.

Chris
Old 11/15/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrist
I think it's a little more than just a "coral thumb".
He is Photon Man... thats all you need to know...

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...=PhotonMan.flv
Old 11/15/2007, 06:02 PM

ROTFLMFAO!! That was too damn funny. I had no idea Sanjay had such a big lamp!
Old 11/15/2007, 06:11 PM
Catch and release

That is a big bulb
Old 11/22/2007, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

You can see some of my big bulbs here

sanjay.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:14 AM
Parrot head

ROTFLMAO!!!...Now Those are BIG bulbs!
Old 11/22/2007, 01:18 AM
El Jefe de WRS

You need to have another one of those bulbs photoshopped over your head.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:26 PM

nice one Sanjay!
Old 11/22/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I personally like the reflection off the top of each bulb AND Sanjay's head!!!
Old 11/23/2007, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

LOL - those bulbs are as BIG as Sanjay's head.

I have bulb envy...

--Ed
Old 11/24/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Ok.. time to get this thread back on track .. here sare some pics that I took while between football games and work.

Old 11/25/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Nice pictures/corals and an inspirational aquascape!

Do you supplement the Giesseman Coral 400 W with some other lighting?

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 11/25/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Hey Sanjay,
Corals look great, so on your next visit to NY besides your normal cache of goodies from:
http://www.creamery.psu.edu/
me thinks a few frags are in order as well, especially the first acro pic (echinata?). We don't have that good an ice cream here, but I can certainly send you home with some frags.
See you in Germany in 4 days. Hope you're going to include your "Got Par" pic in your presentation...