Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Do it Hahn!

Make a 3' foot, actively cooled fixture with IC reflectors and
send it along with the crappy Teklight w/o the fan you rigged up for it and lets get a good head to head comparison of IC vs Tek vs Aquatinics
and start putting this to rest (hopefully ATI and FM will jump in too)!

And a big thanks to Sanjay for stepping up yet again to make this hobby better!!!

James
Old 09/11/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

ATI will play... I got email from reefgeek. he is willing to send me the ATI lamps, and will work on getting me a ATI Powermodule or SunPower fixture

I need to figure out a way to test a few of the commercial reflector systems ( does not really matter which lamps I use there as long as they are the same), and then test some of the individual lamps to allow us to then scale the reflector data for different lamps.

Is there a setup that can be put to gether to just run one lamp ? This could then be used to get the scale factor for different lamps.

sanjay.
Old 09/11/2007, 08:05 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The only thing that would prevent you from using a single lamp would be the ballast. I will check to see if the 39 watt ballasts can fire a single lamp. I know several of the 54 watt models can.
Old 09/17/2007, 09:56 AM
Professional Hen Teaser

So Sanjay, would you be able to sum up the MACNA findings that MH emits quite a bit more IR than other lighting? Also about the efficiencies of each? I heard secondhand info, and was wondering if you'd sum it up here? I understand if you can't but it'd be great if you did.
Old 09/17/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Worst case scenario he could fire two and hide one.
Old 09/19/2007, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

so....what were the end results? I want numbers
Old 09/20/2007, 10:43 PM
Island Jumper

Ditto!
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 10/19/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Yah! (Bump)
Old 10/19/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Yah! Bump
Old 10/19/2007, 06:08 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Then go see Sanjay at one of the many conventions he speaks at! Thats where he presents his findings first... otherwise, why bother to go and see his presentations if you can just read it online?
Old 10/19/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Then go see Sanjay at one of the many conventions he speaks at! Thats where he presents his findings first... otherwise, why bother to go and see his presentations if you can just read it online?
You can't be serious!?! Then why post anything online at all? I can see not releasing the results until after the first talk at MACNA, but talking about the general findings now (a month after the conference) isn't going to stop most people from seeing Sanjay talk at other conferences.

Just because I've read an author's book doesn't mean I wouldn't see him talk about the subject matter. If anything it's going to peak my interest more since I'm going to learn a LOT more by hearing about it in person. There's plenty more to learn at a conference that won't be discussed here.

Isn't that the whole purpose of these discussion boards? Sharing information, discussions and advancing the hobby?

Obviously we all appreciate and respect the work Sanjay has done here. Otherwise we wouldn't be interested in hearing about the findings. If he'd like to give the presentation at one or two more talks before releasing the findings online, I'd understand. But to say "go see him talk" goes against the spirit of what Reef Central is all about.

So what are you thinking Sanjay?
Old 10/19/2007, 07:48 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Right, but Sanjay isnt going to publish his findings before he presents them at his live presentations.
Old 10/19/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, next time he comes to Vancouver Island, I'll be right on it.
Old 10/19/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

I have to agree with rEd86 here I will be glad to support Sanjay or any of the other experts helping our hobby but and I love conferences such as Imac and Macina but forcing me to go to find out something that interests me well I am not liking that one! how about a ebook and I donate $5 or $10 bucks for the results I will still see Sanjay if I go as well. things like this take the enjoyment out of the hobby.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:58 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Come on guys, mellow out. Sanjay might owe an article before he can release the info on line. Be patient. He don't play games and goes out of his way to make his findings available to us.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:04 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

That and he's probably crazy busy like always! I'm anxious too, but I will wait patiently.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:05 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

Of course I have been waiting ten months...
Old 10/19/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Were not un-mellow (yes, I know thats not a word) we're just pointing out that for some of us, it is not feasible to go see sanjay in person, and that this is the type of information which should be available to all hobbyists, so that they can make the best decisions possible for their tanks.
Old 10/20/2007, 12:59 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Yes, eventually, the info will show up in an article or on his website, but that just isnt the first place he always goes and posts things.
Old 10/20/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Right, but Sanjay isnt going to publish his findings before he presents them at his live presentations.

This probably means his latest results are very damaging to manufacturers. His website has cost certain manufacturers thousands in revenue. Probably been threatened with a lawsuit.
Old 10/20/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

I figure if he is the one doing the work he can release this information however he sees fit.

If it was *that* important to me I would go out and purchase a par meter and figure it out myself

Hey Han, maybe you could link the par images you did to temporarily satiate their hunger?
Old 10/21/2007, 01:47 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by kysard1
This probably means his latest results are very damaging to manufacturers. His website has cost certain manufacturers thousands in revenue. Probably been threatened with a lawsuit.
Why would you say that? I dont think the potential of being sued has ever been the case actually, but only Sanjay could tell you that I suppose. As for releasing the results... Im pretty sure this has been his standard process all along... nothing new about this time. If you go to see his presentations, he shows things which arent published yet.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

I work in the test field, and Sanjay is doing exactly the sort of thing we call Operational Test and Evaluation in my line of work. The developers of these products do their testing to make sure they meet specifications, don't have high failure rates, etc. Sanjay is getting our input to create a realistic scenario for the way these products are actually used, and then testing them in those environments. As a professional tester, he knows that posting results prematurely can often times be dangerous. Whether or not he decides to post those results here is entirely up to him. Realize however that every one of you who gave him inputs played a valuable part in this research. For now, just be happy that you played your part for the good of the hobby.

-Mike C.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

For the good of who?
Old 10/21/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

you know I think Grim Reefer is right everybody chill Sanjay to my knowledge has always published his findings. but 1 he is not going to release them till he feels that the data he has is correct and done right. and yes most likely will release it at a public conference 1st. here is a link to all the dirty little secretes that Sanjay has kept from us so far. come on Chill out. if I was Sanjay and I saw everybody acting like little kids not sure I would be rushing to release the info either. He is probably reading these post and feeling a little stabbed in the back right now.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/articles.htm