Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 03/29/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I am still convinced that the buyer is out more than the seller. Frags are a renewable resource, the sellers money is not. The refund along with some replacements would be a fair deal IMO. I agree that buyers need to be cautious, but sellers also need to take the proper care to insure delivery.
Old 03/29/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

well i think that reefman should have included better packaging it sounds like too.
Old 03/30/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I have sold alot of frags here on RC myself. And I have only had one case where I shipped some Xenia to a guy. The package did not arrive the day it was suppose to, it was a day late. The xenia was lost, he even sent me pics of the dead xenia.

I filed a claim with FedEx and got the refund back for shipping. So I told the buyer, if he wanted I would reship him some more xenia and a few stalks more to off set the loss for him, if he was willing to let me use the refund again to ship.

I didn't mind replacing the xenia as long as the shipping was paid for. I always try to treat people like I'd like to be treated. I always tell people I will replace any frags they lose in shipping if I can as long as they are willing to pay for shipping again. These things do happen out of our control, but I feel the buyer should get what he paid me for.

So I feel he should have had more frags shipped to him since FedEx refunded the shipping, the refund could have been used for shipping him more frags???
Old 03/30/2007, 07:57 AM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
ZNUT this is why you are respected

"I didn't mind replacing the xenia as long as the shipping was paid for. I always try to treat people like I'd like to be treated. I always tell people I will replace any frags they lose in shipping if I can as long as they are willing to pay for shipping again. These things do happen out of our control, but I feel the buyer should get what he paid me for."

I personally have shipped MANY frags... and sadly UPS has really screwed up a few of these shipments... When I place myself into my clients shoes I see that he/she has paid me money that they have worked hard to achieve... Damn some of this reef stuff is $$$ Of course each case is evaluated individually .. But replacement or refund is what I feel are basic. Heck I usually even pay for the extra shipping...
Old 03/30/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Doctor64776. If you treat people fair they will always post you good feedback, not negative. And they will come back for more. And to be honest it's the only fair thing to do.

I always aim to make sure who ever I sell frags to are very pleased. This is not a cheap hobby.
Old 04/06/2007, 05:00 AM
Registered Member

mmmmm

i was reading your threads and it hooked me..

I recently purchased 6 frags from another seller..it cam 1 day late (2nd day) also they were double bagged but with little water no air..
He put in round thermos that probabbly rolled all over the truck..no room for the supposed freebies either..frags smaller than i thought...
He also DID NOT put heat packs in!!

I tried to acclimate slowly but lost green nuke, and 4 others!! (rpe, aqua, etc)

I contacted him..he said usps doesnt even do two day air..i sent pics of the label and the whole ordeal..did i mention he left town for 2 weeks day of shipment..

His offer was to refund 100 dollars of the 180 or I pay for them to be re-shipped!! I was upset..this was my first buy etc i didnt feel that i shud pay for shipping again when this wasnt my fault!!

I have delt with a great seller since who added extras incase of damage etc packed with labels this side up, cooler, padding, heat everything great!! I have since learned that packed right a shipment should last an extra day if healthy to begin with..

Just thought I would share..also this guy had great feedback..
my point..always a risk..but ask questions..now i know what to ask etc....Sucks but it is a hobby!! If they all died shipper should take responsibility, or else endure negative feed back and lose money in the long run..I would have gone back to mine if it went smoother..but instead 5 days later i spent $275 on another guy!!

Just saying...
Old 04/10/2007, 12:47 PM
Moved On

I always resend corals but ask them to pay new shipping costs. That is if they can prive/provide a pic of the dead coral.

I agree with The DOCTOR.
Old 04/10/2007, 11:10 PM
Flow Master

I think you should try to make things right for the buyer. You should let the person know that is buying from you how you will deal with problems before they happen, this way if there is a problem both parties understand what will happen.

I do not think buying from other hobbiests should be considered business. If it were business,then hobbyists should be receiving retail prices for their frags. I mean if I were charging $35.00 for a stalk of xenia like other retailers online do and had a shipping discount with carriers, I would not mind sending a buyer three or four replacement coral. Hobbyists do not have these luxuries.

I think we should work with each other to try to solve problems but be understanding with each other that both parties have taken a loss when something does not ship well. But if it is complete irresponsibility on either side they should receive negative feedback, for example if a seller does not package a coral well for shipping does not include heat packs/ cold packs when needed. Or when a buyer lets a package sit outside in 85 degree weather for three hours after delivery. I would not refund the buyer in this situation, I give the buyer two hours to send me pics of DOA's this way I know the coral did not sit outside in terrible conditions.

One other note on shipping, many buyers want to go the cheap route when it comes to shipping and want a coral shipped to them using Priority mail. I try to talk them out of it but if they want it, I tell them I will not guarantee live arrival, then when the coral arrives dead they want a refund or another sent at my expense. I usually send a replacement but do not feel the seller should be responsible if the buyer has been pre-warned.
Old 06/22/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

I think this guy has just been one of the few to speak out. I know of guys who went in on group buys with reefcrazed as well, the frags came in freezing, so cold they could have been used to cool a drink! he took forever to get back to them and it seemed that he was semi rude to them. He sent them more frags but they were super small and of poor quality and they had to pay to have them reshipped i believe. They too will never do business with him again.
Old 06/22/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

If I could add one small point to this:

My mailing address is literally right on the dividing line that seperates two different delivery hubs here in Atlanta for FedEx, UPS and DHL. Only 100 feet west, and I'd be in the Atlanta hub.

Overnight by 10:30 AM is not guaranteed to it. The last DHL package I had shipped there arived at 2:30 PM.

I live 10 miles from one of the hub's distribution centers and DHL delivers to my home by 10 AM. But to deliver it to the other address they have to ship it from my home hub to my mailing address hub 60 miles away and then run it back about 45 miles.

This adds another day to regular deliveries.

Now that I understand how the distribution system for the Atlanta area works, I have ALL overnights deliverred to my residence since it isn't guaranteed to my mailing address.