Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 05/28/2007, 05:21 AM

kenny, somewhere in these posts.. it explains what happened. It wasnt something I made a big deal about. In the beginning I had an evil orange shoulder tang. He was put in right after the multicolor. I had to borrow naka's fish trap because this guy was killing my fish. He nipped my multicolor & bicolor to death. He also stressed out my achilles to death where he had no place to stay still and relax. He was very territorial and always on the lookout for the next victim. As for my skribble & personifer.. these guys didnt make it after the first week. The Personifer lasted 2 days and the Scribbled didnt last but a week. He stopped eating. justrarefish.com didnt have any guarantee's so I was stuck out with $600 (250-Scribble, 250-Personifer, 100-shipping). Thats why you will see me purchase locally or through liveaquaria since they have a 2 wk guarantee. A lot of the fish's luck has to do with how it has been handled through the chain it gets to your door. besides, the shipping was very high from justrarefish.com since they use UPS. Would I ever get the personifer and scribble again? most definitely! I miss those guys.
Old 05/28/2007, 10:28 AM

and that's the unfortunate personality gamble we make with any fish. My orange shoulder is very well behaved. In fact all my fish get along fairly well, but I did have incidents which needed to be corrected too.

When I got my "pair" of rhomboid wrasses, one tried to kill the other in QT. I had ordered 3 kole tangs and one arrived DOA. I was working on the idea that 3+ would be good, but with just two, one beat the other into submission and I had to give it away. I lost 1 of 3 yellow tangs right away too...just never saw it again.

Then, about 3 months ago, one yellow tang and a purple tang decided to pick on the 2nd yellow tang. It holed up in a crevace and would not come out because the other two would get right after it. There was no way for me to extract it, and it looked like it would die of starvation. This went on for weeks. Then one day, I guess it got tired of starving and came out to eat. In less than a week in had rejoined the general population and now looks just a s good as the others. Why did it happen? I have no idea. Why did they let him rejoin? Again, no idea.

Fish do have distinct personalities and no matter what research you do, there is always the chance of social issues and even personality changes as the fish mature. I have tried to add a naso twice and both have done well in QT and then stopped eating in the display and perished within 3 - 4 days. That really has bummed me out.
Old 05/28/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Yikes! What a bummer. Those were some magnificent fish.
Old 05/28/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

I had a hard time getting my naso to eat when I first got him. No mater what I tried he ignored it. He finally started to eat grape caulerpa after 2 weeks. Now he will grab food out from the mouths of my two crosshatch triggers. He going to be big, at least I hope he is a he.
Old 05/28/2007, 08:39 PM

have you seen the crosshatches nibble and polyps?
Old 05/28/2007, 08:54 PM

Thanks guys. This is the risk we all take with corals and fish.

I want to thank naka and fishcraze today. naka surprised me with some great frags he brought over. The blue xenia and im not sure what the other one is.. but its in the pic below. Sure enough.. my SPS rock is getting filled already (all corals in pic are from CaReefer, naka, & fishcraze). I've also received some great frags from naka recently like the radioactive green nepthyea, zoas, blue mille, pink tipped birdsnest, etc. sorry naka, I dont know the actual labeled names. Havent been on the SPS forum as much as I would like. fishcraze donated his purple slimer, green slimer & blue loisettae. It's been a great day.

Old 05/28/2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Your Acro rock is looking good Invince, time to get Naka over there with his camera and TD box for some pix and show them puppies off individually. Coloration is strong it appears. That the A. secale on the left?

CAReefer
Old 05/28/2007, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
have you seen the crosshatches nibble and polyps?
No I have not. They have not touched anything in my tank.
Old 05/28/2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CAreefer
Your Acro rock is looking good Invince, time to get Naka over there with his camera and TD box for some pix and show them puppies off individually. Coloration is strong it appears. That the A. secale on the left?

CAReefer
It sure is. It's your frag and that coral has shown great growth and color. Give me a couple more months and we should see a big improvement.
Old 05/28/2007, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Well I had the privilege to see Edward's rimless tank in person today. First impression is wow look at that awesome dimension. You really can't appreciate the depth of this awesome reef tank. Aquascaping will totally blow you away. The Giesemann lights are not to shaby either. I've never seen anything like it. I took some pics of his beautiful angels today.

Next time I'll remember to bring by topdown box Marshal. Your corals are doing great in his tank. I think your tricolor frag is way more colorful than Tyree's Bali tricolor IMO.

Beautiful sps island w/ 6500 spotlight

Old 05/29/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Those are some really nice pics of a really beautiful tank, keep up the good work!
Old 05/29/2007, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

Your lucky to have good people around to donate those nice frags to you. But considering the tank that they are going into, I'm sure they will be very proud of what you achieve.

Love the angels too. Beautiful fish, and I hope they give you no troubles

Cheers

Chris.
Old 05/29/2007, 06:50 AM

naka, by the way.. nice Panerai watch! I didnt know you collected nice timepieces! Panerai is the new Rolex for those who didnt know. Well you got to see two tanks today.. mine and fishcraze.. one young and one matured. Your's is right in the middle when it comes to age.

bucknell, thank you.

Chris, yes I have some great reefing friends from yrs ago. Another one I havent mentioned is Kevin who donated me some frags & clownfish recently. In the past, we used to trade and when I took my tank down a while back, these guys were the ones I donated some of my corals too. It's all about good Karma.
Old 05/29/2007, 01:16 PM
Team RC Member

The glass-eye cardinalfish is a great one. We have 8 or 9 in our office tank, and they're the only fish I've seen that consistently school together. How many do you have, Edward? We added ours in 2 separate batches, and they immediately found one another and hung tight as if they were brought in simultaneously. You might consider some more in lieu of more angels

Mike
Old 05/29/2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
The glass-eye cardinalfish is a great one. We have 8 or 9 in our office tank, and they're the only fish I've seen that consistently school together. How many do you have, Edward? We added ours in 2 separate batches, and they immediately found one another and hung tight as if they were brought in simultaneously. You might consider some more in lieu of more angels

Mike
Mike, I only have one. He was my test fish. I didnt dare put a damsel as a test fish since they are hard to catch. When I first put my tank up.. I was going to go with a school of a fish.. about 50 of them (small). I wasnt sure if I would get bored if this. Do you have pics of yours? Maybe your pic may make me reconsider.
Old 05/29/2007, 02:49 PM

Where are you guys getting the cardinalfish?
Old 05/29/2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Where are you guys getting the cardinalfish?
LFS.
Old 05/29/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Hope this pic will make you reconsider

Old 05/29/2007, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Baros, You sure have a lot of fish in your tank. Looks awesome. I love the cardinalfish.
Old 05/29/2007, 04:36 PM
Team RC Member

Here are 7 members of the school in my office tank, although this photo was taken from a phone camera and is not nearly as enticing as the one posted above by Baros. These fish really do school well together, and over time their color, while being somewhat subtle, becomes more brilliant. Our male has been carrying fry in his mouth on 2 separate occasions already, although I'm sure they've ultimately become food for the other tank members.

Old 05/29/2007, 04:57 PM

Awesome pics guys! I love schools of fish and pairs of fish.
Old 05/29/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Those are some awesome fish...I'd so pick some up if I see some at my LFS.
Old 05/29/2007, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Ok Edward we need to order like 30 of these guys!
Old 05/29/2007, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

I think these fish would be an awesome addtion to both of your tanks.
I first saw these in Leonardo's Reef tank. I didn't know they were readily availible in the US.
Old 05/29/2007, 09:08 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1131379