Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

any ideas for a diy fishtrap?

i need to make one today, have access to HD and lowes and a marginally stocked lfs.

1 to 3 inch long fish--chromis mainly.

thanks!

tim
Old 01/04/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Fish Trap...

I made a glass box with a sliding glass door connected to a fishing line. Put some food in it, and catch your fish...

Worked great for me... Just had to sit there and wait... Just like fishing...
Old 01/04/2008, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I had to catch a chromis and a clown. What I did is took a clear empty 2L Coke bottle, removed the label, washed it well then carefully cut the top off of it. I next cut the neck of the bottle down to a hole about 1.25 times larger than my fish, inverted that and stuck that in the other half of the bottle tied some string on it, so I could pull it out/keep everything in place and then put some food in it and left it in the tank. Fish swam in, wasn't able to get out. I based my idea on minnow traps that we used to use for fishing like these- http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com...ages/G40_1.jpg