Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

I figured as much. Just been a while since I had a new one, and just seemed to take a bit longer then what I remembered.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I haven't produced any real foam yet, but hopefully when I get home it'll be cranking.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BLANKENSHIP76
I was also surprised to find that if you turn the motor portion of the pump it seems to restrict the flow??

I am going to put teflon that on the venturi as well to hold it firmly in place. I think I have it where I want, but if anyone else has any recommendations I would love to hear them.
What way did you find to work best for the motor? Pics?

What do you mean withthe venturi "have it where I want it" - do you mean how far it's pushed into the pump inlet? How far do you have yours? (trying to get mine set up right for when my rock gets here tomorrow)
Old 01/09/2008, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I have my motor turned so its all the way open(meaning full flow), as far as the venturi goes, I have it pushed all the way down, until it stopped however it is still a little loose.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I guess I'm still not clear as to how it's oriented when it's turned all the way open. Pics? I'm a visual person.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

This is where I have mine as well. It produces the most bubble there. I had it so that the angled cut was directly under the middle of the meshwheel and it didn't produce as much bubbles.

Quote:
I have my motor turned so its all the way open(meaning full flow), as far as the venturi goes, I have it pushed all the way down, until it stopped however it is still a little loose.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I have been having trouble getting my volute cover to set right, I know you don't close it all the way, but I have to leave my open consederably to even get the pump to fire back up, and it is releasing microbubbles from around the covers rubber seal.

I have even cut the enkamat down, and I am still having trouble????

Any other recomendations?
Old 01/09/2008, 11:18 PM
One Good Friend

Yes, take the skimmer out, give it a good dry. Make sure the rubber caps on the impeller shaft are dry and in place super well. They have to be in place perfectly or the pump won't fire correctly. Another thing to do is to attach the mesh with fishing line to decrease the weight. I'm getting mine in tomorrow. So i'll try and do a blow by blow. I've messed with these pump's for a long time, there quite annoying at times, but well worth the trouble.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

I have messed with it for 2 plus hours tonight and can't get it right or to quit leaking microbubbles from around the seal. Looking forward to see a detailed description of what needs to be done with these pumps.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

how come people w/ ati's don't seem to be having as much trouble w/ the pumps.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:16 AM
Tank Collector

I'm thinking that alot of these issues are "first batch" kinda things.... They got them in, modded a bunch of the skimmers to start shipping them back out the same and next day because they we're already running late because of customs and the holidays. I'm guessing when they have more time to make the modifications that they will be ALOT more "plug and play"....

They probably could've spent more time working on them to perfect each one, but then there would've been 250 "I ordered my MSX200 but it's still not here.... blah, blah, blah" posts.

Possibly the reason the ATI's dont "seem" to have any problems with the pumps.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

The ATi pumps are modded nicely, the venturi is very well done. With the Ati you can seal the sicce pump up so its kind of a no brainer as to if you have it right. These however are just the basic pumps and pieces are supplied, so its like go get'em tiger.

However, I am usually OK at this DIY stuff, and I can not get this pump to operate correctly. I mean I messed with it for hours last night and again this morning.

It seems the problem is the mesh mod, maybe there are too many layer of enkamat. But, I am barely pushing it past the rubber seal on the volute cover, and when it fires up I am not getting peak performance from it, and I am getting microbubbles released fromt he pump into the water. I am luck I have mine in a 10 in deep tank at eye level to work on, I can't imagine having to pull it in and out of a sump.

Anyway, so far I can not get the pump sealed correctly in order for the mesh wheel to operate at optimal efficiency.

If anyone can tell me how they have theirs working good, I would love to hear it.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

I'm running mine with the volute cover locked and all the way closed. At first, the impeller was hanging up a little on the back of the pump housing, but I pushed the impeller assembly in (pretty firmly) until the impeller wasn't hanging up. After that, it's been starting and running fine for me (although I usually have to blow a little air down the tube to get it crankin').
Old 01/10/2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I had restart issues with mine as well and ended up changing the zip ties to ones that are a bit smaller and leaving the volute cover unlocked. It's basically just pushed in so that it's sealed, if i pull on the volute it'll come out. I will be changing out the zips for fishing line in the near future as I believe since the housing was not routed properly, the zips are rubbing or getting caught on the housing.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

What a pita. So whats the solution to fixing the unlocked pump?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone know if or where we can buy just the Volute covers?
Old 01/10/2008, 05:00 PM
One Good Friend

The sicce's must be firmly in the pump, and the volute cover should glide on very easy. If you have to put pressure on the volute when closing it, its not in there right. The rubber washer on the bottom is not in correctly, get it out put it on the impeller and then put it in.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

how do you recommend getting the bottom rubber washer out, I am only getting the ceramic shaft when I pull on it and the washer in remaining in the pump.

Any advice?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
how do you recommend getting the bottom rubber washer out, I am only getting the ceramic shaft when I pull on it and the washer in remaining in the pump.

Any advice?

If you really want to remove the rubber piece in the pump I've used a small straight blade screwdriver and a flash light in the past to pry it out during cleaning. I don't even bother to remove it anymore as it doesn't cause me any problems.

Last edited by jokerjp; 01/10/2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Any advice?
Method above sounds good. While it may seem obvious, do not try and pry the washer out using the ceramic shaft - it will certainly snap.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

I accidentally snapped my shaft in two but fortunately I fixed my pump so that its closed all the way and still works lol. How do i get it replaced or should I just let it go since it's working?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:18 AM
One Good Friend

Ok, i have a bit of a slide show of my 200. First off i didn't receive my taper that goes inside the volute, no worries as i'm sure i'll get one soon enough. I did manage to make my own real fast. For this pump to work it needs to be restricted, have air, perfectly fitted with the rubber endcaps, mesh cut nicely and light impellers. Anyhow, i cut down the mesh made my own venturi and here's what i have.

After i trimmed it down

Its at 32scfh very very steady and you can't even tell its on its so quiet. Very nice so far. The meshmod was a bit nasty but the venturi hole was very nice and tight. At first i hated the rubber hose but its actually alright and works well. HTH

Luke
Old 01/11/2008, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Luke33, that looks great so far! It seems the main issue is the rough mesh mod that was done to the impellers and poor instructions. Two questions:

1. The venturri inlet is not pushed in all the way and this seems to be important?

2. Your pump is mounted vertically vs. horizontally - do you think this improves performance and restart?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:51 AM
One Good Friend

Vertical or horizontal i don't think it matters. Its to early to tell about alot, as its only been in there for a couple hrs. I'll get it up to 50scfh here soon enough, I just don't have time right now, leavin town tomorrow mornin til sunday.

Luke
Old 01/11/2008, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

I have some good news and bad news.
Good: I finally have the pump spinning with the volute and pump notched and sealed plus it's starting to show some skimmate into the cup.
Bad: The shaft snapped while trying to adjust it. I put the two pieces back in and it works with the volute sealed and all. How do i replace the shaft and where? I can't find replacement parts anywhere and the place i did find them is a world supplier in new zealand! I read that sicce pumps run better without the shafts. Is this true?

One other question. What size tubing for the Cup?