Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Anybody owns a husky?

Here is mine

Old 12/18/2007, 11:13 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

GIMME! I want either a malamute or a sibe next...

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/18/2007, 11:21 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

I want one, but I don't think Texas is the best place for them.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:28 AM
Where the future begins!

I had a Siberian as a kid. Great dog, very fast, but dumb as a doornail. Also would bolt out the door every chance it got even though I would run the bejesus out of her using my rollerblades.

I don't think I could deal with the huge amounts of fur again.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/19/2007, 07:52 AM
i'm here for you two

They are defiantly hyper dogs cause they were bred for that. Most your Nordic breeds aren't going to be smart like you want them but Smart in how they were bred, most dogs I've seen used in sledding or what not are very smart still hyper but smart.

My German shepherd (she's an old girl now) I used to work her every day in obedience or doing something to keep that brain of hers occupied. It was the funniest thing seeing her herd my son around, She still does it too now.

My husband wanted a malamute but I told him we don't have the time to devote to the dogs needs and wouldn't be fair to the dog.

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 12/19/2007, 08:04 AM
Where the future begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4reefs
They are defiantly hyper dogs cause they were bred for that. Most your Nordic breeds aren't going to be smart like you want them but Smart in how they were bred, most dogs I've seen used in sledding or what not are very smart still hyper but smart.

My German shepherd (she's an old girl now) I used to work her every day in obedience or doing something to keep that brain of hers occupied. It was the funniest thing seeing her herd my son around, She still does it too now.

My husband wanted a malamute but I told him we don't have the time to devote to the dogs needs and wouldn't be fair to the dog.
Oh I completely know what you mean. Our best friends were wanting to get a husky... but the big thing is that they live in a one bedroom apartment!! I told them it wouldn't be such a good idea because of the hyper nature of these dogs, and now they aren't talking to us. I couldn't imagine having a husky cooped up in a tiny apartment while they are at work all day.

There was no tiring our Mavick out. I would take her out for hours on end, and she would go go go.... then would break out of the house when you got home and go go go for 5 more hours until she came home.

It's like a rodent with their little running wheel! Go go go, nothing tires them.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/19/2007, 08:08 AM
i'm here for you two

Wow I can't imagine having a husky in a small apartment either there are several dogs that don't do well in that situation.

Yeah that breed does have more energy then the sun

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 12/19/2007, 08:21 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
It's like a rodent with their little running wheel! Go go go, nothing tires them.
And that's what I love! They were bred to RUN, and not just run, but run loaded down with a sled behind them.

Huskys and malamutes along with the other northern breeds are very VERY different from just about any other breed of dog. And unfortunately it comes back and bites a good deal of people that aren't ready to handle it. Not only do they have the energy to WORK all day, but their whole thinking and mindset is different than a golden retriever, or a german shepherd, or a lab. They were bred to be very independent, which is very important when you're working these dogs. You need something that can take some direction from you, but can also think and act on its own.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/19/2007, 08:31 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

I use to raise husky/wolf cross. Great dogs! Loving, loyal but hyper yes. Dumb? No way! Don't confuse stubborn for stupid. Found a few pictures of mine. They weren't allowed on the furniture with that hair. When ever we'd come home we'd catch them looking out the window, but by the time we opened the door they were laying on the floor looking all innocent. The white and black on the couch with me was my male, he was huge! Part Malamute.

Old 12/19/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

i never owned any but i was owned by two. they are long since gone but they were great dogs!

this was juneauwhat...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and flagontheplay ...

and this is what we did for fun...

i had a friend with 3 sibes. we used to hook them up all together occasionally...

Old 12/19/2007, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
[i] The white and black on the couch with me was my male, he was huge! Part Malamute.
So he is part husky, part mal, and a wolf? What species of wolf? How much did he weight?
Old 12/19/2007, 10:08 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

Timber wolf ( gray wolf) He weighed about 120lbs.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

I really have to question people who think husky are dumb. In my experience, husky are some of the smartest dogs out there but as also independent which can be a danagerous combo. Just because they only choose to do what commands they feel like doesn't make them dumb. But people are right, my wife has a lab and I got a husky, complete opposite personalities and sometimes my wife has a hard time with it.
But I love my husky and everytime my wife hears they don't settle down until 8 she cringes. But I have no issue with off leash, from the stories I've heard the males are less likely to run away. Just some pics of my boy Chinook

Old 12/19/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

trueperc, i agree 100%. many people mistake independence for stupidity. my female was as smart as a whip. it never took more than 2 or 3 times for her to learn commands. most of the time, she was the lead dog. not only was she smart, she kept the other dogs in line.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:38 AM
in the bathtub

This isn't my Husky, mine tends to be dirty and covered with pitch, but it's the same breed.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/19/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

hey fat man, how's that thing do on a frozen 40# chicken neck?
Old 12/19/2007, 12:21 PM
Where the future begins!

I never said all huskies were dumb. I only stated the fact that the one that I owned was dumb. I know the difference between being independent and being dumb. She was a great dog, but did some really stupid things one of which was purposely standing in front of moving cars....
Do evil in return."

Old 12/19/2007, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I never said all huskies were dumb. I only stated the fact that the one that I owned was dumb. I know the difference between being independent and being dumb. She was a great dog, but did some really stupid things one of which was purposely standing in front of moving cars....
You are calling her dumb? Leashes are meant for keeping dogs safe
Old 12/19/2007, 01:27 PM
Where the future begins!

1. I was 10 years old at the time
2. She would escape from the house in any manner she could, even after having been run for several hours WITH A HARNESS. Lets see you catch a husky on the run... it aint that simple.
Do evil in return."

Old 12/19/2007, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

My daughter is 10. Never had an escape from the dog.

Some people are not meant for a husky.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Those are some beautufl dogs!!! I've always loved huskies!! My aunt has one, he is a very sweet dog, but I dont think he gets enough of a workout on a regular basis.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
. Lets see you catch a husky on the run... it aint that simple.
You don't. It becomes a game for them
Old 12/19/2007, 01:51 PM
Where the future begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by MarinaP
My daughter is 10. Never had an escape from the dog.

Some people are not meant for a husky.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is wrong of you to pass judgement without knowing, or having witnessed the entire situation.
Do evil in return."

Old 12/19/2007, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

You were negligent and incapable of taking care of the dog. Short story.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member