Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Tell me about Colorado

I'm thinking of moving my 2 kids and myself to the Colorado Springs, CO area and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about that area or the state itself. What's the culture like? Why are there so many homes for rent? Pros, Cons, etc. My husband and I are seperating and I'm looking for a beautiful place with cooler temperatures, great schools and great medical care. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:39 PM
in the bathtub

hogpark7430 is from Castle Pines, he's probably your best bet. All I can tell you is it's somewhere back east.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."

Last edited by Fat Man; 12/20/2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:01 PM
Teeam Gary!

It's square.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

its cold there ............ thats all i needed to know

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/20/2007, 02:11 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

You should consult with a lawyer before moving your kids out of state. Should the "separation" become permanent it could have custody ramifications.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:15 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I hear there are a lot of Californians there. Me? I prefer not to go that far south .

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/20/2007, 02:18 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
I hear there are a lot of Californians there.
and they're not happy about it......

I saw a bumper sticker when I was in Broomfield a year ago. It read:

Colorado sucks.
Go back to California and tell a friend

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:19 PM
Evan in colorado

It is nice here. I have been to CO springs several times and liked it. It is not as cold there as it is here. I like where I am, (summit county), It is never above 80 although it can get to -25 in the winter, that is a lot better than denver where it can climb well over 100 and be uncomftorble. The only drawback in summit county is that you have to drive to denver (60ish miles) to the nearest fish store. I think it is a nice state.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:24 PM
Moved In

I love Co. I wouldn't mind living there myself. Can't really tell you about all the other details, but Dan's got a lot of family there and we've spent a lot of time.

I do agree with Beerguy tho, check with a lawyer and make sure you can take them out of state.

Here's the Co. forum
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...php?forumid=81

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/20/2007, 02:24 PM
Team RC Member

Huge traffic jam daily---it's still within the Denver megalopolis. Beautiful, contains Garden of the Gods and next to Pike's Peak. You get tourists with trailers, interstate truckers, local business and domestic cars, and Denver commuters all vying in traffic. Couple of real nice restaurants on Garden of the Gods Boulevard area...nice La Quinta there. Not as snowy as further north. I call it a bit warm for my taste, but that's me. You get weather right off the continental divide with less warning than some places. It also houses the US Figure Skating Association headquarters, and has a world-class rink. Hosts some national events in everything from cooking to dog shows, as I recall. Easy to get around in, re street layout, IF I-25 happens to be clear or relatively so: it slices through everything and either helps or hinders you getting places. I've found people in town friendly and isolated people on I-25 about the rudest idiots in the West. If they're local, they must have gone bonzo from road rage. I prefer to think they're transients, since it is a nice town except for the attitudes on that stretch of highway. You're within easy striking distance of Black Canyon, Great Sand Dunes, and pueblos; great skiing not far off; plenty of hiking and nature.
HTH.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:26 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Estes Park!
Old 12/20/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Lived there for 2.5 years before kids. If it weren't for kids I'd still be there. LOVED IT! Beautiful country, not a lot of snow in the Springs thanks to PIkes Peak. Lots to see and do. With no moisture in the air, 50* is tee-shirt weather and 20* doesn't feel bitterly cold. The sun shines nearly every day which makes those cold days easier to take! I had one baby out there-absolutely zero complaints about anything medical. Not sure of your individual situation. As with any growing city there are parts you want to avoid but nothing too terribly scary. Lots of culture, lots of history, and with a highway speed of 75 mph you are only 45 minutes from the middle of Denver. There was a really good fish store there when I left, not sure if it's still there or not.
Very laid back atmosphere, but being from the south it may not affect you. For this transplanted NY'er it was a wonderful change!
If it's not going to be a custody issue I would say GO FOR IT! I think you would love it. Something about that mountain air is good for the soul. I say the same thing about the beach too.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 12/20/2007, 08:56 PM
Cancer Sucks

Plus, Denver has Casa Bonita! (As seen on South Park)

Isn't it on Colfax? I was 17 when I was there when our class field trip went to Denver for the National Finals Rodeo.

It was a long time ago, but I do remember that our school booked us in a seedy hotel and I got drunk and got a tattoo.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/20/2007, 09:52 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Heres a better club forum to hit

It's the southern Colorado group, its pretty much centered around the springs.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=387