Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 03:25 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

MTV: What Da Heck Has Happened?

For reasons still unknown to me, I left my office TV tuned to MTV during the last few shifts at work. I realize it's been a long time since MTV (Music Television) actually dealt with with music, news and video arts, but I was left bored and more than a little disgusted by the program content.

Exposed, Next, The Hills, A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila and The Real World.....my IQ permanently dropped 50 points just having these shows running in the background.

Have I just gotten old and cranky, or do these shows truly suck? My kids are in their twenties and thankfully didn't spend much time watching MTV, but what I saw now instead of music and videos was non-stop graphic sexual innuendo from 18 year-olds, bleeped-out foul language and bed hopping with no regard for feelings, risk or consequences.

I'm not sheltered by any means. In fact, much of my day is spent dealing with the seamy underbelly of society and the consequences of bad behavior, but I'm frankly disappointed by the American media corporations filling the airwaves with such fare aimed at teens. Not surprised, not shocked, but disappointed.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:28 PM
in the bathtub

Unfortunately pandering pays.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/19/2007, 03:39 PM
My Life for Aiur!

You're not alone. I've watched the empire known as MTV come crumbling down before my very eyes. You see, I was a child of the eighties. I grew up with MTV. I watched a lot of MTV in my teen years, but less and less often as the music videos began to fade away. It's to the point that I don't watch it any more, refuse to watch it, and relish not watching it. Though I despise MTV now, I would actually start watching again if they had decent music videos. I lost all faith in MTV after I noticed TRL's Top 10 stopped showing the entire video and it was just a bunch of screaming girls chasing Carson Daily.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

sex sells and violence leads, untill people stop watching it they will continue to pander to what sells.

Fighting to get stuff off the air by making rules and such doesn't work, it makes people want to watch it more and more to thumb thier noses at society and to be a rebel. until people just stop watching it will only get worse.

Thing is tv and movies have slowly went down hill for over the past 20 years and its been a slow process so people adcept it, i dare you to show someone a movie from 20 years ago that was rated R and another one from today rated R and them not exclaim that the 1980 movie should have been rated PG (or even G) by todays standards.

ok off soap box

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/19/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah and I am a meer kid at 26 so - I'm not some old guy reliving the glory days

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/19/2007, 04:11 PM
10 & Over Club

I have seen less than 1 hour of MTV since Beavis & Butthead ended, and I didn't much care for what I saw. I think the programming is a sign of the times. When things are going down the toilet, the downward motion accelerates as the whirlpool gets deeper. There seems to be an element of "can you top this" when it comes to pushing the limits.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

How do you take the power away from obsenity? No longer make it obsene. New Millenia, new rules, new world. It is not one that I like or I am used to but it is the one we will have to live in. If you don't like it do what you can to change it just like Aristotle, Franklin, DaVinci, Einstien , Lincoln, King Jr and the people you have never heard of that make changes every day including the producers of MTV.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:59 PM
Moved In

LOL, I've never watched it, no loss...

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/19/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Re: MTV: What Da Heck Has Happened?

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
For reasons still unknown to me, I left my office TV tuned to MTV during the last few shifts at work. I realize it's been a long time since MTV (Music Television) actually dealt with with music, news and video arts, but I was left bored and more than a little disgusted by the program content.

you're just now finding this out! in bermuda, there is no music channel worth watching.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:56 PM
Medieval French Monkey

Well, you know you're over 30 when you prefer VH1 to MTV.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:58 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Damned kids and their rap music.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:39 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by iCam
Damned kids and their rap music.
What rap music. The point is that there is NO music offered on Music Television any longer, just "reality" tales of teen sex, bad behavior and anguish.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:47 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974
Never watch that either..

Old 12/19/2007, 06:52 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
VH1? You mean The Surreal Life, Flavor of Love, America's Most Smartest Model and Hogan Knows Best? Don't get me started!
Old 12/19/2007, 06:57 PM
Medieval French Monkey

I actually liked the first season of The Surreal Life. Ok, let me qualify that, I watched it for a few minutes before changing the channel, which is more than I can say for other "reality" shows.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:05 PM

Except for Simple Life.

Les has made it clear many times how much he loves Paris Hilton.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:17 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Depending on your cable, VH1 Classic is great to watch, they actually play videos 80% of the time, from the 70's through the '90's. Good stuff.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:18 PM
All will be well.

"Midnight Special" ain't on anymore? Man! I can't find "King Biscuit Flour Hour," either.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:24 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Quote:
Have I just gotten old and cranky, or do these shows truly suck?
I find myself asking this question almost everyday, not just about TV shows but music as well and just about every other aspect of our popular "culture". The garbage we seem to value as entertainment is beyond me most of the time.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:30 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by kfisc
"Midnight Special" ain't on anymore? Man! I can't find "King Biscuit Flour Hour," either.

Been a while!!!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/19/2007, 11:31 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
I find myself asking this question almost everyday, not just about TV shows but music as well and just about every other aspect of our popular "culture". The garbage we seem to value as entertainment is beyond me most of the time.
Have we become our parents?

Old 12/19/2007, 11:37 PM

I'm pretty sure Debi has become her great-great-great grandparents by now.

...at least in terms of age.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:37 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

some of those shows suck

i like the hills for a few reasons

1)good convo starter with the ladies
2)hot girls

other then that its pointless

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 12/20/2007, 01:59 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I watch older shows on TV Land, MASH and some of the old movies on Turner Classics and Fox Movie Channel...no commercials on those channels either I am only 41, but I really like the shows of the 60s-70s like Combat, Hawaii Five O, Sanford and Son, Mannix, etc, etc. I watched MTV in the early 80's as a teen and thought it was OK for a couple years and then it got wierd with Michael Jackson and Wierd Al Yankovic and then I gave up on it

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/20/2007, 05:54 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Ah yes,the good ole days of MTV

Too old for women to care