Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 01/03/2008, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

real interesting thread to spend my day reading
Old 01/03/2008, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

It is an interesting thread and the questions tend to get recycled and re-answered. I have two of them and they work well but I have them in conjunction with refugia.

~Steve~
Old 01/08/2008, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

I am having problems with flushing noises. How are you guys plumbing the RDSB to prevent this?

Are the buckets sealed to prevent air from getting in?
Old 01/08/2008, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

So I am go t on a limb and say that since the pelletized limestone is not available from HD until spring that I probably DON'T want to use the powder form that is also known as calcium hydroxide... it has the consistency of flower. Perhaps this would be a good kalkwasser substitute? HD said that they will get the pelletized limestone in the brown bag in April.. in the meantime I did see a white sand product called Pool filter sand made by a company called PaveStone. .. this appears to be primarily silica? is that okay? does anyone use this or not use it and why?

Last edited by ebacon; 01/08/2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:56 PM
Tailspot Blenny

flushing noises? that must be because the outlet bulkhead is probably the same size as the inlet and the flow is such that it's going to become submerged at times, and then it will gurgle when it drains a bit more. I'd say reduce flow or get a bigger bulkhead/piping for the outlet.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
flushing noises? that must be because the outlet bulkhead is probably the same size as the inlet and the flow is such that it's going to become submerged at times, and then it will gurgle when it drains a bit more. I'd say reduce flow or get a bigger bulkhead/piping for the outlet.
Yup, seems like a 1" could handle 300gph?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:16 PM
Tailspot Blenny

not exactly handle, but be big enough to not be submerged.

think of it just like a drain from a tank display to a sump. Either the drain water doesn't completely submerge the bulkhead opening, or else a standpipe of some sort is needed to keep it quiet.

my bucket when the cover isn't on, it does a little gurgling now and then, but with the bucket covered, I can't hear it at all.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

HI
ok i read through the first dozen pages,and from what i got i can basically run a line off my over flow and into a bucket full of sand ind it will cut down my nitrates.That was in 05 just wondering if there was any major updates that i missed in the other 125 pages.I mean this seems pretty stright forward but thoiught id ask anyways.I read people talking about play sand from home depot they dont carry that anymore,is there somther type of homedepot sand that people are using?
thank you
Old 01/10/2008, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

Read the first 20 pages, and basiclly, got the idea.

I'm thinking of setting up one where the sand bed is 18 inches deep, and the sand grain size is suger fine.

Sounds OK, or too deep???
Old 01/10/2008, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I've had one up and running for about 6 days now..too soon to know if it will work for me. But i do have to say it cost me way more then the $10 AC was saying it would cost back in 05.

I had the MJ1200 laying around so i won't add that in.

I used an old RC salt bucket (side note...I was thinking the rubber seal on this bucket would allow me to run it under my sump with about 3 foot of head pressure...it's not a true rubber o-ring just a foam rubber gasket and i couldn't get it to hold the pressure ) Free

I didn't want to go with a silica based sand so i went with Aragamax sugar sized aragonite...$24.00/30lb bag x 2

Two 1/2" uni-seals $1.50 x 2

10 FT of 1/2"id reinforced pvc $9.00

6 ft of 1/2in rigid pvc $3.50

1/2" ball valve and fittings to connect the rigid and flexible pvc $5.00

Grand total not counting the pump was roughly $65.00

Granted i could have saved about 40 bucks if i used regular ol playsand but then i would have had to add in the cost of the MJ pump to get my point across which is...that this project, just like everything else in this hobby, turned out to be waaay more expensive then i had planned!

Last edited by markush; 01/10/2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:24 PM
Tailspot Blenny

markush: I agree with you, my total was somewhere around $80 after everything.

I had to get a square bucket shipped from USP, bulkheads with barbs, two sand bags + some spare, vinyl tubing, and a bit of gruntwork =)
Old 01/10/2008, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

My cost was also more. No pump required though as it is gravity fed and gravity drained.

~Steve~
Old 01/12/2008, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

just did mine today spent about 30.00 sand, waste paper basket,didnt have room for 5 gallon bucket,and pvc.I just teed off my overflow.Not the best setup but better than none at all.